Cobalt dcc point motor and Multimaus

portsladepete

Hello again,

Just got a cobalt dcc point motor, tried programming it with my multimaus following the instructions, and although it works off the layout connected by jumper

wires,I would like to get it back to the center position

I have managed to give it an address of 11,can't change it if I wanted to,and despite trying several times can't get it to center ready for final positioning.

I know its a long shot,but has anyone fitted one of these using a multimaus?

The Roco instructions on changing addresses which you need to program the cobalt are a bit vague.

If you have an idiots guide,I would be very grateful

Thanks Pete

EDIT.. Just looked at the Multimaus manual on line and instead of 1 & 2 you use the left or right arrow keys which also it seems act as the Enter key too.  So you will have to convert the below into Multimaus keyboard operation

Hi

While I don't have a Multimaus the setting of the Cobalt should be the same? But I may be totally wrong, if so I apologise in advance.

I assume your have the Cobalt Digital ip version?

If so, then once the motor is connected to the DCC system (Not the programming output) flip the little switch on the Cobalt to SET and then send address 199 to the decoder.  Press Enter then press 1 or 2 on the console and press Enter.  It is recommend to do this twice.

Turn the switch back to RUN and then power down and back up again the DCC system.

The Cobalt should self centre.

To remove self centring put the switch into SET and send address number 198 to the Cobalt then press Enter and press 1 or 2 and Enter.  Do this twice and then turn the switch to RUN.  Power down and back up and self centring should be removed.

To set the point motor to its final operating address place the switch into SET and send the required address number to the Cobalt. Place the switch into RUN and when the new address number is selected pressing 1 or 2 on the handset will move the motor left or right (Assuming the Multimaus uses 1 & 2 for direction selection?)

I made this video a little while ago showing the Cobalt Digital ip be centred etc using both a MRC Prodigy Advance and a NCE PowerCab  The Multimaus controller shouldn't be that different?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cs6KzOYIpHo

Thanks for your reply,I tried again to program,ended up with nothing working.cue panic,then reversed connections and it now works again.

So will try to program again tomorrow,bearing in mind I may have to reverse the wires again.

I am using two wires to the main track using crocodile clips,so reversing them is no problem.

Don't understand the logic,as I assumed dcc works either way.

Will report later

Pete

SOME devices appear to be polarity dependant when receiving (programming) instructions ....   Although there is symmetry for the mobile decoders, this is not always the case when using the fixed decoders???

Note that Lenz label the outputs specifically ... J and K so that polarity can be traced  through, and this continues on the inouts of their accessory decoder devices.

Another example I have found, is the LDT module for a signal decoder - (Swedish version in my case, but presumably all nationality versions 8-) ) - but the instructions for the decoder warn that the polarity of the dcc signal may need to be reversed for the programming to work.  ... and they were right !!

Possibly related in effect; LGB advise(d)  that if using 'Loco 0' 0 - where the symmetry of the dcc waveform is modified by adjusting the timing of part of the signal - that they may not respond (to programming)

In 'normal' operation the Multimaus sends an accessory command repeatedly (I think I counted 15 times - may vary with different software versions) - and this may ensure that 'both polarities' are always catered for (conjecture)  ... but if programmed via the CV route, the command might only be sent once  (I have not bothered to monitor this).

For  programming via the 'Learn' button - the 'normal' direction command is sent for the accessory ( often '<' but either might do: eg '13'  then  '<' )

Thanks Phil,

I managed to change the address by changing the polarity but couldn't get it to center,so I fitted it without.

Works ok,managed to wire in an led light using the frog connection and a live from the bus,the switches on the cobalt didn't seem to do anything,probably misunderstood their function,think the cobalt instructions could have been clearer regarding them.

Pete

Archived