Ryde St Johns Road Station in 00

Ryde-on-time

• RMweb Gold

So, now things have started to progress on my new layout I thought it was about time I started a thread. This is my first layout for many many years so I would be really grateful for any feedback or suggestions.

It is to be a OO gauge model of Ryde St Johns Road station on the Isle of Wight, set in the last few years but pretending that the Steam trains that currently terminate at Smallbrook Junction instead go as far as Ryde St Johns (There has been some speculation over the real trains doing this for some years now). I have added a couple of sidings at the smallbrooke end of the layout for servicing of steam locos which do not exist in real life but the plan is otherwise pretty accurate although condensed.

On visits to the Island and driving over the bridge next to the station, I have for many years fancied doing a model of the station - with the works along side and its relatively compact nature. What drove me to take the plunge was being allowed to buy a couple of EFE 1938 Island livery ex-underground trains cheap with damaged boxes

A few shots of the station, the first couple taken from the road bridge, the next 2 showing the works buildings and final shot showing the tracks curving away towards Smallbrook

post-22175-0-87413500-1445981559.jpg

post-22175-0-50954500-1445981591.jpg

post-22175-0-01362900-1445981624.jpg

post-22175-0-34585300-1445981665.jpg

post-22175-0-45777100-1445981713.jpg

And finally (after my ramblings) a few shots showing the beginnings of the layout. I profess to have no wood working abilities so to give things a decent base I went for 2 baseboard kits from ‘Model Railway Solutions’ which I have been very pleased with, they went together easily.

post-22175-0-50525800-1445981795.jpg

post-22175-0-99998100-1445981819.jpg

post-22175-0-61006700-1445981845.jpg

post-22175-0-98434700-1445981870.jpg

I did manage to make the curved backscenes boards, I did this to give a more curved shape to the layout, to better show the real shape of the site and finally, it provides some room at the back for the controls and point levers etc. Another update soon I hope....

• Like 11

This looks like it will be a nice little layout and interesting to operate. From what I can gather, if the "steam to St Johns" ever comes about, the electrics will operate through a re-connected back platform and the steam will use the 2 main platforms with a run-round stub just beyond the station bridge. The 2 lines toward Smallbrook would be operated as 2 separate single lines before parting company where the junction used to be. A passing loop for the electrics would be provided around Brading enabling a proper 30 minute service to be run instead of the current unequally spaced "2 per hour".  Time to purchase a couple of Bachmann Ivatt 2-6-2Ts to go with Calbourne!

Jon F

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

I wonder if this layout progressed. Just found it and it looks an interesting project.

Thanks for the interets. Life has been very busy for the last few months but yes, there has been some slow progress and will try and get some more photos up soon.

Thanks for the interets. Life has been very busy for the last few months but yes, there has been some slow progress and will try and get some more photos up soon.

I look forward to seeing the new pictures. I have heard that the plans to run steam into Ryde St Johns may be revived.