Ripple Lane BR(E) East London 1980s/90s.

Pete 75C

Hey Pete, despite my being a LMR modeller, I really appreciate the modelling that you're doing here.  Ever since I saw Croydon North Street in Hornby Magazine, I was extremely interested in your layout(s).  

I must say too that your use of LEGO bricks is quite clever.  I wouldn't have thought of doing that.  However, I did once build a Network Rail MPV out of LEGO . . . I have attached a picture for you to see.  It's closest to a course S scale model in terms of size.

Cheers,

William

post-24642-0-15993900-1453995594_thumb.jpg

post-24642-0-61357100-1453995597_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

Thanks William. If I ever run out of Lego bricks, I know who to contact! I'd give Andy P a shout, but he uses Logo blocks and I'm not sure if they're compatible (sorry Andy... couldn't resist that).

It's funny you should mention LMR. I briefly considered renaming "Wandsworth Park" and moving it to somewhere like Willesden. Norwood drivers used to go there a fair bit and I got to know the yard quite well. It would have saved me having to fit 3rd rail! The AC electrics are always interesting but I don't know a great deal about them. Southern modellers are now quite spolit with EMUs but definitely not the case with LMR modellers of the same era. Maybe one day.

The thought had crossed my mind! I have a Hornby "Shark" and a couple of spoil wagons in mind as eye candy for the long siding and as part of a movable rake of wagons. I'm never going to fit a long block train onto this layout, so a few short trains (passenger and freight) are a must.

With the modern platform extension being the next job on the list, I've had a play around with the Lego again. I'm not sure I can better these as supports. I've made up a dozen which is probably too many.

attachicon.gifwp_083.jpg

attachicon.gifwp_084.jpg

Hi Pete,

Layout is coming along beautifully, I think your use of Lego though is the best thing i've seen in railway modelling in ages, it just works perfectly!

Graham.

Thanks Graham. I think I'm done with the "visible" Lego as I don't want to overdo it, even if at first glance it's not obviously Lego. It's dead handy behind the scenes though... you can make perfect 90 degree corners and then clad with Wills sheet or similar, gives the structure great strength too. My daughter's grown out of Lego but I may have to get her some for her birthday and then "borrow it"...

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Hope i have the link right pete but you might be interested in this from bargain hunters. It's safe to go in there again, out-of-stock-gate seems to have concluded.

PS got the link wrong but its il grifone post today about imitation lego cheap at wilco

Edited by colin penfold

Hope i have the link right pete but you might be interested in this from bargain hunters. It's safe to go in there again, out-of-stock-gate seems to have concluded.

PS got the link wrong but its il grifone post today about imitation lego cheap at wilco

Invisible (L)ink! Get it? :jester:

Spotted the post in Bargain Hunters this morning, Colin. Worth a look, even just for corner stiffeners when scratchbuilding.

• Like 1

Those steps remind me of the ones that used to be at Farringdon...

I must be doing something right! Farringdon was exactly what I had in mind. The difference in height between platforms and the number of steps is almost identical.

post-17811-0-19623900-1454413676.jpg

© Copyright Dr Neil Clifton and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence

Edited by Pete 75C
  • Like 9

I've made up the dividing walls between the low/high level platforms. The concrete render effect is simply suede aerosol paint, primed and streak-weathered with powders. The brick parapets and piers are a modern red brick Scalescenes download. I don't often use brick paper as I dislike the lack of relief. In this case, I think it looks ok. I can't add the coping stones (from a Wills kit) to the top of the wall until the other side is done to match.

post-17811-0-32658600-1454492701.jpg

post-17811-0-90346200-1454492702.jpg

post-17811-0-00812200-1454492704.jpg

The steps that Ian mentioned yesterday are from an ancient Airfix/Dapol kit. Shown below are the same steps with side walls and fence. I'll definitely use the steps themselves, but the jury's out on the side walls and fence. If I were to use the side walls, I'd lose the primitive embossed brick effect and go for a concrete render. It's the fence that I'm really not sure about... the picket fence is surely more "pretty country station" than "grimy urban station"...? I'm really not sure. The alternative is to make up higher side walls and cover in the same Scalescenes brick and then add handrails from brass wire. Hmmm...

post-17811-0-06613100-1454492705.jpg

• Like 12

I would go for a KeyClamp type handrail.

A wall with a handrail either on top or the side seems to be the right way to go for an urban feel.

Yeah, the picket fence just doesn't work, does it? This is not 1930s GWR...

I may rub down the side panels to get rid of the awful pseudo brick relief and give them a concrete finish. Uprights and handrails can be added (key clamp type). I might also make up totally new high sides and add a handrail. It will all come down to which I prefer (or which type I don't mess up). Thanks.

I've salvaged the Peco SR concrete edging from my first attempt at the platforms and this will be reused for Platform 1 although it's facing the wrong way and won't be seen unless operating the layout from behind the backscene. There's 50/50 bullhead/flatbottom running into Platform 1. This needs ballasting and then I'll get the platform made up.

• Like 3

The last couple of days have been spent getting the line into Platform 1 ballasted and the platform sub-structure and edging in place. Pictures below, but not because there's anything of interest to see. I've added the pictures because I need to pose a question...

It's always been my intention to add a 12" baseboard extension to the station end. This little extension will include the buffer stops and a representation of the station concourse. I don't really have the room for it at home, but *if* Wandsworth Park ever gets exhibited at a local level, it will be a nice little "eye candy" way of finishing off the station area.

Problem...

Platform 1 sits around 16mm (or a scale 4 feet) higher than everything else. If this was a through station, there would be no issue. The difference in height wouldn't matter and connection between platforms could be suggested by either a subway or a footbridge. Because it's a terminal station and I want to model the concourse area, I haven't got a sodding clue how to make it believable. At the moment, all I can think of is modelling a wide ramp with a flight of steps either side coming down from Platform 1. You can see from the pictures that I've allowed room for two station buildings. It's intended that the main building should be on Platform 1 (high level) with a smaller building to include a Red Star office located on Platform 3 and the disused Platform 4. Car parking and parcel business will access the station from this smaller building. There will be no footbridge or subway and access to all platfroms will be by using the concourse behind the buffer stops.

Am I missing a trick? Is there a solution to this that hasn't occurred to me? Better still, does anyone know of a prototype terminus anywhere in the country that has platforms at different levels? The inspiration would be useful. I'm currently thinking about it so much that I'm starting to go blank.

post-17811-0-51171400-1454676258.jpg

post-17811-0-77683400-1454676260.jpg

post-17811-0-35077200-1454676262.jpg

Edited by Pete 75C
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Totally agree with you and the other guys about the steps pete. Keep the side walls and use some modern railings instead of the fencing.

Id do the same sort of thing with the booking office. A long shallow ramp parallel to the platform.

Thanks Russ. I think the lifted bay works well and it does very much remind me of the 70/80s era.

Colin... absolutely. I've "concreted" the step side walls and they look good. Just need to come up with a post and rail solution.

Re: the dilemma about what to do with the concourse, I'll knock up a simple line drawing showing the space available. If nothing else, it may help me focus on what to do... what will work and what won't.

• Like 2

Maybe think of it as two stations, initially built by different companies. One building has been knocked down and replaced with something else, or both have been redeveloped into something modern (but probably only on the plot of one of the original buildings).

If you work out how it got built like that in the first place maybe you can come up with the story for how it became what you're modelling.

As for adjacent termini at different levels, only Broad St/ Liverpool St immediately comes to mind, but Victoria was effectively still is two adjacent stations...

• Like 2

Pete,

Brilliant work but you are thinking too much!

Platform 1 was Company A and2&3 were Company B.

Make it look as if one or both lines went further but were closed and the station rationalised.

P1 could be original station and Ps2&3 when line was extended at a lower level befor closure.

Think Wrexham Exchange or Ilkley for general idea.cant think of a specific prototype but it's your railway .

Hope this helps.

Regards

David51

• Like 1

Thanks guys. That's all really helpful.

I agree the simplest solution would be to treat them as two separate stations joined at some point in (recent?) history. That's a good starting point. It also occurs to me that the difference in height on the platform side is no different to the countless stations where the Clasp-type (for example) station building is at platform level and access from ground level (the street/car park) is via steps and a ramp. Food for thought indeed. It also occurs to me that it would have been a whole lot easier if Platform 1 wasn't on a slightly higher elevation but hey... done now. I at least feel like there's a little less weight on my brain now!