Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Ripple Lane BR(E) East London 1980s/90s.

Pete 75C

From memory, the C and CO-CP stock looks familiar for early-mid 70's - My old man was a guard on the District line, and we sometimes got a ride up in the cab ! 

The CO-CP picture on Metromodels' website is taken at West Brompton...Pretty sure Metro Cammell 'D' stock ( with working push-buttons ) wasn't introduced until '77.

D stock is coded D78, ordered 1976, first in service 1980, full fleet by 1983.

Thanks guys. Lots of info and ideas there. I haven't "gone off" 3rd rail... far from it. Having worked at a Southern Region depot and driven VEPs/455s etc, it's what I'm most familiar with. Maybe that's the problem. I just fancy a change. Still a huge fan of the NSE era but there was more to Network SouthEast than slam-door EMUs in South London. When I qualified on Class 47s, much of the training was done at Stratford, so I have a fondness for the lines around Stratford/Barking. I'm always fascinated by 70s/80s photos of the Silvertown branch for example. The West London line around Brompton/Kensington is also a contender.

I've never been one for strict discipline when it comes to running trains. If I like a loco or a unit, I'll simply invent a very implausible justification for running it.

Definitely London, definitely urban. The track plan isn't going to change at all... there will still be a small depot on the right-hand board. I do quite like the idea of running the District Line into Platform 1 but if I'm honest, that probably won't happen.

If I add the 3rd rail to the layout, I'm really limiting the layout geographically. If I leave it out, I have more options. I'll miss the Bachmann 2EPB for sure, but I'll get over it!

Thanks again.

Oh, and obviously there will have to be a layout name change at some point, but I'm not worrying about that just yet.

• Like 2

Hi Pete, As an East End Lad, I can see why you like those railways, Hackney/Stratford and surrounding area was my stamping ground until the 1970s, and being brought up next to the North London Line its always been my favourite (Always fancied modelling Victoria Park Junction),  but on moving to Surrey, the 3rd rail and southern Loco's has been my modelling preference - Looking forward to what you decide. 

Cheers, Bob.

• Like 1

I know I said district line, but if it were me and I wanted to run tube trains I'd look to run A stock, since that did actually run in short 4-car formations on the ELL and Chesham branch. Or the old central line 4 car to Ongar.

And if you want a really stupid idea from the wrong timescale, send the DLR into platform 1. I've never heard of anyone modelling that system...

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

If I recall, didn't the 2-EPB's run on the North London line to North Woolwich during the 80's?

And if you want a really stupid idea from the wrong timescale, send the DLR into platform 1. I've never heard of anyone modelling that system...

Stock available as a card kit http://www.modeltrainsuk.co.uk/cdc-design-street-level-models-card-kit---series-2-set-28-docklands-b92-stock-unit-modeltrainsuk-1556-p.asp which can apparently be motorised with some ingenuity - probably something like a Black Beetle?

If I recall, didn't the 2-EPB's run on the North London line to North Woolwich during the 80's?

They certainly did. Two shots of Silvertown station below, the later shot with a 2EPB.

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/s/silvertown/index3.shtml

https://www.flickr.com/photos/25347284@N04/3269975875

I do have a liking for the line in the earlier days before it was juiced.

Edit: I think it was electrified in 1986?

Edited by Pete 75C

I know I said district line, but if it were me and I wanted to run tube trains I'd look to run A stock, since that did actually run in short 4-car formations on the ELL and Chesham branch. Or the old central line 4 car to Ongar.

Stock available as a card kit http://www.modeltrainsuk.co.uk/cdc-design-street-level-models-card-kit---series-2-set-28-docklands-b92-stock-unit-modeltrainsuk-1556-p.asp which can apparently be motorised with some ingenuity - probably something like a Black Beetle?

A nice idea but you overestimate my abilities. If it ain't RTR...

Seriously, if I thought I could make a decent job of kitbuilding a 4SUB or knocking together a Bratchell 319 or 455, I would never even consider abandoning the juice rail!

• RMweb Gold

A nice idea but you overestimate my abilities. If it ain't RTR...

Seriously, if I thought I could make a decent job of kitbuilding a 4SUB or knocking together a Bratchell 319 or 455, I would never even consider abandoning the juice rail!

The Bratchell kits look fairly straightforward to build. I have been tempted many times by them but its quite an expense for something I would hardly ever run

Just to say, if you modelled Canning Town...

Thanks for that Matthew. I've just been reading up on Canning Town at the Disused Stations website. I think this is going to be the right area for me. A certain amount of erm, creativity with regard to history and we may have a cunning plan. OK, a complete load of fiction then! Thanks for the idea.

• Like 4

Pete, Pot and Kettle comes to mind, more changes than Bitton, Whittaker St, Pencarne Junction, WHOOPS Pencarne, hahhahahha.

Some good plans but keep the Cromptons.

You sayin' I'm indecisive Andy? I blame you. Cromptons for sure, I have a 33/1 on my radar in engineers grey.

• Like 2

Based on the quality of your work elsewhere I'd say you underestimate your abilities...

That's very kind of you, 'nut. I can paint a concrete wall and glue a couple of bits of plastic together but that's about it. I don't even have the courage to lightly weather a loco, never mind build rolling stock from a kit. Terrified I'll make a complete hash of it! The Only Way Is Essex RTR. One day, maybe.

Edit: I haven't done any work on Wandsworth Park for a couple of days after an unexpected two day visit from the dragon-in-law. With the shock of that unpleasantness slowly fading, I'd better crack on.

Edited by Pete 75C

That's very kind of you, 'nut. I can paint a concrete wall and glue a couple of bits of plastic together but that's about it. I don't even have the courage to lightly weather a loco, never mind build rolling stock from a kit. Terrified I'll make a complete hash of it! The Only Way Is Essex RTR. One day, maybe.

Edit: I haven't done any work on Wandsworth Park for a couple of days after an unexpected two day visit from the dragon-in-law. With the shock of that unpleasantness slowly fading, I'd better crack on.

Just try on something small like a parkside grampus or a Dapol tanker. Then you can learn how to paint and weather without feeling too worried about a mess up.

It's what the Dapol wagon kits were made for - heck even a £2 second hand old wagon from your local model shop with couplings and one buffer missing will do.  Doesn't even necessarily need to be something appropriate for your layout.  Practice, sell on if you don't need it and it looks half decent.

Based on some of the 'weathered' crap that sells on Ebay for silly money that looks like it's been dipped in a tub of creosote and detailing applied with a two inch brush, you have nothing to fear except your doubts.

Edited by cromptonnut
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I agree with those above, buy a couple of inexpensive kits too cut your teeth on, I started with the old Airfix kits, I mucked the first couple up, but it didn't deter me. I then joined my local MRC as a very junior member and the first thing they did was to give me the pug kit to build, too assess my abilities.

Go on give it a try, you'll find it gives you of end of pleasure, I am just starting a couple of Alan Gibson kits.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

No chance of that for me as she wont cross the South Downs.

The last time she visited (about 15 years ago) ended up missing the Gatwick turning and only released that they might have made a wrong move when they reached Ikea!!

Edited by roundhouse

Well, mine is in a home and can't come, so I haven't even got that excuse!

• Like 1

Ballasting's almost done on the incline, so pictures of that soon. My thoughts are still defaulting back to the North London Line for the new location. Busy researching Canning Town and similar locations etc... a fascinating subject in its own right. I'm 99% sure Wandsworth Park will move north and east a little.

A while back, I mentioned the idea of using the old Dublo through station building as the Red Star office and passenger entrance onto Platforms 2 & 3. Having snagged an ebay bargain, it looks promising. A couple of hours of elbow grease to remove the battered old paintwork back to bare metal and the result is below. I drilled the rivets and took the steps out but forgot to refit them for the photo. The cast detail stands up well. The whole thing will get a couple of coats of etch primer and then I'll used a fine-textured spray to simulate concrete. Windows and replacement doors are essential. This was never modelled on any particular prototype, but has a generic Art Deco look about it which I like. I'm guessing at an off white/ivory for the main elevations and a faded brown/tan for the roof? Once the cork is cut away and the building eventually bedded in, height should be spot on. I'll keep this simmering as a little side project that I can keep coming back to. I'm not going to spend stupid amounts of time on it at the expense of the rest of the layout.

post-17811-0-96733900-1455980314.jpg

post-17811-0-11878200-1455980316.jpg

• Like 10