Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Ripple Lane BR(E) East London 1980s/90s.

Pete 75C

Thanks SS. The length of the red line in post #633 is 165mm which is the length of the tunnel lining before it meets the backscene. I'm not quite sure what you mean by the angle as a 1 in #, but with the little strip of MDF shown below assumed to be the theoretical "red line", the angle of the tunnel mouth to that is exactly 70 degrees. Hope that helps. If not, just let me know.

post-17811-0-15886000-1458752915.jpg

Edited by Pete 75C
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks SS. The length of the red line in post #633 is 165mm which is the length of the tunnel lining before it meets the backscene. I'm not quite sure what you mean by the angle as a 1 in #, but with the little strip of MDF shown below assumed to be the theoretical "red line", the angle of the tunnel mouth to that is exactly 70 degrees. Hope that helps. If not, just let me know.

attachicon.gifwp_144.jpg

Thanks Pete

I can work with that angle. The 1 in #, is on unit along the red line and the the number of units until a line square to the redline intersects the tunnel mouth, as in 1 in 8 etc. This is just another method of getting the angle that you have shown using the protactor. I will look at it again tomorrow.

I hope you have made due allowance for an APT-E!!

As much as I like the look of the thing, I won't be buying one so no issues with it bouncing off the tunnel wall as it enters Limehouse. I understand the overhang is going to fall foul of a few layouts? My tastes are very mundane and I'd rather have a DMU full of model schoolchildren and commuters than an APT-E full of model boffins. If I was still dabbling in N gauge, something like a full-length HST or a loco + 8 on a roundie would be thrilling, but due to lack of available space I'm stuck firmly in urban branchline OO-land with no prospect of parole!

• Like 3

Thanks very much for that. I fear I may need to warm some brain cells up. I'll do a card template as you suggested in the PM before committing (or being committed).

OK... I probably shouldn't be surprised, but...

It's a perfect fit! I never would have been able to figure out all those angles/gradients. Many thanks, SS.

post-17811-0-67350400-1458839627.jpg

• Like 15

With SS exercising his grey matter on my behalf with the tunnel lining, if anyone else fancies a little mental workout I suddenly have an unexpected side project on the go:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/109571-southern-region-nse-through-station-18x2-oo/

Ideas, suggestions etc MORE than welcome. I shall need all the help I can get.

I need to get that tunnel lining made up today and I have to go to Lidl. Deep joy. Hopefully the tunnel lining will take a while and the shopping will be forgotten. Unless they still have some of that pseudo-Lego which will make the trip worthwhile. Have a great bank holiday weekend, all.

• Like 1

If I was still dabbling in N gauge, something like a full-length HST or a loco + 8 on a roundie would be thrilling, but due to lack of available space I'm stuck firmly in urban branchline OO-land with no prospect of parole!

Amazing what you can get into a little space in N, one of your famous terminii in N would accept a full HST in the same space as an OO 4CEP.  Something Penzancish would be very attractive to model.

Pete

Yes I Will have the same problem with clearances but it should fit OK on the US and Czech HO scale layouts!

Couldn't resist getting one although it's still to arrive.

Clearance on Banbury would be the least of your problems :)

• Like 2

Curving and getting the tunnel lining in place was a bit of a challenge! I could have made life easier by using a Scalescenes download stuck to a very thin sheet of bendy plasticard, but I wanted to use embossed brick sheet to match the portal. This is a little on the thick side and definitely resists bending! Solution was to gently bend the lining around a tin of vegetable soup and secure with multiple thick elastic bands. Convinced the sheet was going to break but it didn't! The whole thing was immersed in near boiling water for half an hour to soften the plastic, followed by an hour in the freezer. Removing the elastic bands, the brick sheet straightened up to a certain extent, but it did hold something of a curve, see Pic 1.

Painting and weathering came next and then the lining was gently bent a little more and eased into place. Various plastic wedges hold it in place. I've had to up the brightness a little on the 2nd picture to bring out the brickwork detail but you get the idea.

I did question if the effort was worth it bearing in mind you won't see a great deal of the lining once the steelwork and walkway are in place. It is nice to know it's fully lined and done properly though. A final big thank you to SS for doing the maths I would never have coped with. Now I can move on.

post-17811-0-38163700-1458917758.jpg

post-17811-0-52255500-1458917759.jpg

• Like 15

That tunnel is looking great. Have been following you're progress with interest as I'll likely end up doing something similar when i get to that stage of development on my own layout plans.

Perfectionism or OCD? :jester:

Hardly. If you look closely, I've made a terrible mistake. It's actually not that terrible that it warrants re-doing though!

Have been following you're progress with interest as I'll likely end up doing something similar when i get to that stage of development on my own layout plans.

I found your Woolwich Dockyard thread a little while ago, Kelly. Definitely one to watch. Good luck with it. I get the impression you're one of those folk that plans ahead rather thoroughly whereas I tend to dive in and make the odd error or three.

Hi Pete would it not have been easier to make it from card and cover in some thin plastic such as SE finecast

Probably Russ. The lining I used did not want to bend at all. Classic example of using something I happened to have, rather than buy something else. I may revisit the tunnel lining tomorrow, as the mistake I mentioned above is now beginning to bother me. Maybe I should change my avatar.

post-17811-0-38142800-1458930433.jpg

is the wall on the right back to front? Can I see mould marks on the plastic?

No, it's not that. the moulding pips on that section of wall you can see will eventually be hidden.

Take a look at the horizontal brick courses inside the tunnel. The line into the tunnel actually runs downhill. The orientation of the brick courses makes it look like the line runs uphill into the tunnel. I've fitted the lining the wrong way round. If I turn the lining around, it's no longer the perfect fit that it was. Not entirely sure how that happened. I'll take a better look at it tomorrow.

I found your Woolwich Dockyard thread a little while ago, Kelly. Definitely one to watch. Good luck with it. I get the impression you're one of those folk that plans ahead rather thoroughly whereas I tend to dive in and make the odd error or three.

Thanks. My income levels (or distinct lack thereof) kind of force a slower pace. But that does mean more research can be done. Having grown up in that area the research is fascinating in and of itself.

In a lot of things I've had tendency to dive in and make errors, but in such a project I can't really afford to make many.

Still have a lot to figure out, but the basic plan is there and I'm mostly happy with it. The next step will be to order some boards and have a go at the first points in em.

• Like 1

Sorted the brick courses inside the tunnel. Started off by hacking the original lining with a scalpel but it was like trying to saw a little bit off of a wonky dining table leg. Eventually you end up with a coffee table. Made a second lining using thinner Wills sheets. These weren't quite big enough so two had to be joined together. The join is 2/3 of the way into the tunnel and impossible to see, so not an issue. Seems like a lot of bother to get the brick courses horizontal but it's done now.

Tomorrow, I'll get the brick piers and steelwork in place and use the existing MDF template to cut the roadway sections. When that's all done, I'll be able to add the cantilevered walkway and see what it all looks like.

• Like 7

• Tempfix

This is looking fantastic as ever Pete. I really need to increase the frequency of looking at RM Web to match your rate of progress - you were on 8 pages last I looked! Have had a very pleasant morning catching up while on holiday in a railway carriage next to the line - couldn't be better really! Keep up the good work.

Rich

PS late I know, but I would put third rail in that top platform!