RMweb

Ripple Lane BR(E) East London 1980s/90s.

Pete 75C

The new footpath could be paved with uneven paving slabs...

Just had a look and the walkway actually stretches for over 4ft and spans a baseboard joint. Plenty of opportunity to mix and match surfaces as though it's been patched up over the years. With zero room for even low relief buildings, the plan is just to model various walls and decrepit fencing tight up against the backscene. A little closer to the station end, there may be the chance for an ultra-low relief warehouse/industrial unit. Track side of the walkway, I'll probably use a post and rail fence, so even at eye-level, you'll still see the detail through it. Lots to do.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Show me the prototype evidence and it may just happen.

Fulwell tunnel mate, simples.

Every year it flooded above conductor rail level. Every year Strawberry Hill replaced the SUBs and EPBs with a 33 and 4TC

Your line must have a tunnel that floods, too?

You could perhaps use glue instead and lever it in with care?

I agree with Kelly. Try manoeuvering an extra length of third rail with a large pair of tweezers?

If "anyone notices" that it stops inside the tunnel, your obvious reply would be that the third rail changes to the other side of the track at that point. Maybe you could lever in a section on the other side of the track, from the fiddle yard end?

• Like 2

Stunning model, that thumper Darren. Very nice.

Well, having come to the conclusion that the council would not have spent any money on a ramp circa nineteen-eighty-something, what have I done? Yup. Built a ramp with steps alongside. It's different, and therefore it adds interest. That's how my mind works and that's my only defence, sorry! I'll get some pictures of it soon.

Having recently mentioned the current RMWeb header pic of a Class 31 and rake of suburbans... I think it was Russ that said a Hornby refurbished 31 would be no good for the task and that I'd need a Hornby Railroad 31 with the bodyside beading? That kinda suits me as I've read a fair bit about Mazak swelling issues with the new 31. Rails of Sheffield are still asking 80 quid for one where the body has burst open at each corner. I think not. History would need to be altered to allow a 31 and rake of blue suburbans alongside anything remotely mid 80s but hey... I can stretch a point. i wonder if it's still possible to get hold of the Craftsman detailing kit for the old Lima model?

• Like 1

I'd leave the 3rd rail off entirely myself. Including it would make it seem like you've said "I'll have a bit of this, and a bit of that, and some of the other" which detracts from the overall believability.

But that's just me.

And don't weather the ramp. It's brand new... ;)

There's been a lot of amazing progress on this since I last looked! As the North Americans say, "kudos to you!"

Re the 3rd rail (and for the very little it is worth), I can see that being both justified by and indeed justifying the lack of connection between the "branch" platform and the "mainline" platforms.

• Like 1

Hatton's have the Hornby railroad class 31 at a good price.

Yup. That is a good price. I need to go to Aylsham on Friday for a few bits and pieces and there, it's £49.99. So Hattons + P&P or shop local? Tempted to pick one up from the Bure Valley shop for the sake of a couple of quid. I think it's worth it for the chassis as I've heard Lima bodies are an easy fit. I have a Class 25 liveried for around 1987, so an unrefurbished Class 31 would just stretch to then.

I'm stuck in "fiddly Hell" still trying to get the top end of the walkway looking respectable. Almost done, though. There's a ridiculous number of curves and odd angles and I have offcuts and little slivers of brick sheet everywhere. I also think it's worth the effort to fit handrails to the steps. Nightmare. I'm sure it'll be alright on the night.

Having recently mentioned the current RMWeb header pic of a Class 31 and rake of suburbans... I think it was Russ that said a Hornby refurbished 31 would be no good for the task and that I'd need a Hornby Railroad 31 with the bodyside beading? That kinda suits me as I've read a fair bit about Mazak swelling issues with the new 31...

As mentioned, the Hornby model is on sale for a good price in Liverpool, however the bodyshell seems to be a bit of a hybrid. The side beading is certainly there, but it doesn't extend around the nose ends, which obviously isn't prototypical:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/16819691@N08/7442883104/in/photolist-ckGHQL-rgokfc-w2rNsG-okhNas-aF7hJB-u116YN-u11VFo-cq7ELG-sPF9Nn-nK7bqk-sajm8v-6cgK4Y-sC529A-cXVGXU-hRxQdL-AA4oiz-dabu1T-sCfA9c-t6juKp-u3rDi7-tNcaUL-u5VYG4-tNc58W-u3rKd3-u3rLFy-2boSdS-ffDG9G-3RfbC-s2fnLd-bpQBrk-fnetce-633iND-d7YFV-fkuNDV-7E5ewL-6uLB2U-6kkgTR-7DZXxc-jSkZPQ-qGZpGP-7eGLRP-nD8QEQ-ruVes8-8Sq2pC-bkjug8-oqyh5b-fwnYkg-c2LpDh-aqC4YN-qQMvSv

However, after seeing a Lima 31 325 for sale on eBay, it would appear that Lima take the beading right across the cab door, which is correct for the period up until the door was sealed:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/pics-by-john/6787605793/in/photolist-bkNfJ6-boncTX-h98SP9-9wZ1LZ-mW3BRW-iUsCYW-ebZ1ib-gTLagg-qU6hAJ-67eJbC-nYTjeN-73Yftu-6iph4z-oH3s8v-icfbew-zD1roV-eecaHt-bjB22z-8LAsPK-7muttW-kpiXeg-oE8a6c-shDHz-mMcv4y-s8t4cu-duDLrV-fUyWpY-fKz4mj-az2UCt-cwc8KU-85NbaJ-puNqCX-4cdS8q-2912Rf-ooN8pQ-ny13s9-5ZRKr1-adcKgo-o6duAX-cW6qKw-9idUaE-nXz9nu-s5rwG7-brnmSa-a6dBPR-8jhPPz-37bvEr-AksRXV-bq6cf5-cFc543

But not for the period after that, and prior to refurbishment:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/16819691@N08/7447016450/in/photolist-cm4Uxm-o2ixyM-cyPjU7-zrYXEF-aGZhxH-9a5Txg-h7Vc4Y-dDybrh-aF9Ki8-bqWdUZ-2bjqLV-5VqgN1-2x6JPc-c3rR77-3Rfjy-pgkigy-ffpz4t-bS72ZB-bkNfJ6-boncTX-h98SP9-9wZ1LZ-mW3BRW-iUsCYW-ebZ1ib-gTLagg-qU6hAJ-67eJbC-nYTjeN-73Yftu-6iph4z-oH3s8v-icfbew-zD1roV-eecaHt-bjB22z-8LAsPK-7muttW-kpiXeg-oE8a6c-shDHz-mMcv4y-s8t4cu-duDLrV-fUyWpY-fKz4mj-az2UCt-cwc8KU-85NbaJ-puNqCX

Also, the boiler port footsteps are apparent, which would certainly make it an unrefurbished example, but I wonder if the bufferbeam skirts are included in the box? I know the non- railroad version had them (I owned one before the chassis exploded), I'm not sure about the Lima examples. I model the 1970s, so now I wonder if, as you say, the Lima bodyshell is the way to go, or whether the Hornby railroad shell can be fettled adequately? Sigh...

Edited by DropTheTap

As mentioned, the Hornby model is on sale for a good price in Liverpool, however the bodyshell seems to be a bit of a hybrid. The side beading is certainly there, but it doesn't extend around the nose ends, which obviously isn't prototypical:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/16819691@N08/7442883104/in/photolist-ckGHQL-rgokfc-w2rNsG-okhNas-aF7hJB-u116YN-u11VFo-cq7ELG-sPF9Nn-nK7bqk-sajm8v-6cgK4Y-sC529A-cXVGXU-hRxQdL-AA4oiz-dabu1T-sCfA9c-t6juKp-u3rDi7-tNcaUL-u5VYG4-tNc58W-u3rKd3-u3rLFy-2boSdS-ffDG9G-3RfbC-s2fnLd-bpQBrk-fnetce-633iND-d7YFV-fkuNDV-7E5ewL-6uLB2U-6kkgTR-7DZXxc-jSkZPQ-qGZpGP-7eGLRP-nD8QEQ-ruVes8-8Sq2pC-bkjug8-oqyh5b-fwnYkg-c2LpDh-aqC4YN-qQMvSv

However, after seeing a Lima 31 325 for sale on eBay, it would appear that Lima take the beading right across the cab door, which is correct for the period up until the door was sealed:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/pics-by-john/6787605793/in/photolist-bkNfJ6-boncTX-h98SP9-9wZ1LZ-mW3BRW-iUsCYW-ebZ1ib-gTLagg-qU6hAJ-67eJbC-nYTjeN-73Yftu-6iph4z-oH3s8v-icfbew-zD1roV-eecaHt-bjB22z-8LAsPK-7muttW-kpiXeg-oE8a6c-shDHz-mMcv4y-s8t4cu-duDLrV-fUyWpY-fKz4mj-az2UCt-cwc8KU-85NbaJ-puNqCX-4cdS8q-2912Rf-ooN8pQ-ny13s9-5ZRKr1-adcKgo-o6duAX-cW6qKw-9idUaE-nXz9nu-s5rwG7-brnmSa-a6dBPR-8jhPPz-37bvEr-AksRXV-bq6cf5-cFc543

But not for the period after that, and prior to refurbishment:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/16819691@N08/7447016450/in/photolist-cm4Uxm-o2ixyM-cyPjU7-zrYXEF-aGZhxH-9a5Txg-h7Vc4Y-dDybrh-aF9Ki8-bqWdUZ-2bjqLV-5VqgN1-2x6JPc-c3rR77-3Rfjy-pgkigy-ffpz4t-bS72ZB-bkNfJ6-boncTX-h98SP9-9wZ1LZ-mW3BRW-iUsCYW-ebZ1ib-gTLagg-qU6hAJ-67eJbC-nYTjeN-73Yftu-6iph4z-oH3s8v-icfbew-zD1roV-eecaHt-bjB22z-8LAsPK-7muttW-kpiXeg-oE8a6c-shDHz-mMcv4y-s8t4cu-duDLrV-fUyWpY-fKz4mj-az2UCt-cwc8KU-85NbaJ-puNqCX

Also, the boiler port footsteps are apparent, which would certainly make it an unrefurbished example, but I wonder if the bufferbeam skirts are included in the box? I know the non- railroad version had them (I owned one before the chassis exploded), I'm not sure about the Lima examples. I model the 1970s, so now I wonder if, as you say, the Lima bodyshell is the way to go, or whether the Hornby railroad shell can be fettled adequately? Sigh...

Thanks for that, that's really useful info. I did go down to the BVR shop this morning but couldn't make my mind up! £125 would have bought me a Railroad blue Class 31, a Mk1 suburban brake and a couple of Mk1 suburban coaches. Around the same price as a lot of locos alone. I do think I would need to do something with the RR Class 31 and a Lima body may be a better bet. I wasn't aware that the beading didn't extend across the nose of the Hornby model, and I do quite fancy a white stripe 31. There's something rather satisfying about fettling an older loco to bring it some way towards modern standards. I keep reading about the exploding Mazak super-detailed Hornby 31s, and like Heljan's 47, it's enough to put me off. Unable to make a decision, I did nothing which is quite typical for me!

I'll crack on with the scenics and put additional stock out of my mind for a little while.

Edited by Pete 75C
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

...but I wonder if the bufferbeam skirts are included in the box?...

The (ex) Lima moulding has the skirts as part of the body shell chassis. The only separate parts for consumer fitting were the cab door hand rails - must have been among the first models to have a bag of "detailing" parts.

Apologies, after seeing Peter's post below I went to check, and he is correct it was on the chassis. Must have been the Airfix one which had it on the body (and I haven't clue where mine would be now).

Edit - to correct faulty memory!

Edited by HillsideDepot

The (ex) Lima moulding has the skirts as part of the body shell. The only separate parts for consumer fitting were the cab door hand rails - must have been among the first models to have a bag of "detailing" parts.

From memory the bufferbeam cowling was part of the chassis molding on the Lima model, The other thing with the railroad model is it has the later plated over headcode boxes. So you would be best off with a lima body. 

Cheers Peter.

The only separate parts for consumer fitting were the cab door hand rails - must have been among the first models to have a bag of "detailing" parts.

And headcode discs as appropriate :)

£125 would have bought me a Railroad blue Class 31, a Mk1 suburban brake and a couple of Mk1 suburban coaches. Around the same price as a lot of locos alone. I do think I would need to do something with the RR Class 31 and a Lima body may be a better bet.

I think at that price, I would have had a punt!

Honestly, I can also see myself undertaking more of this type of project while the price of new locomotives rockets. Just like I had to do thirty years ago when my pocket money was limited!

• RMweb Gold

If you could find the Hornby 31 in blue with skirts and put a white stripe on it it would look a lot better as the normal one has little or no definition to the waist height plating

• Like 1

I think at that price, I would have had a punt!

Honestly, I can also see myself undertaking more of this type of project while the price of new locomotives rockets. Just like I had to do thirty years ago when my pocket money was limited!

I find myself forced into this option really. Newer models are just too expensive to consider, so old Lima/Dapol/Mainline/older Hornby/Bachmann are having to be used. Adds a bit more interest in terms of the modelling at least, and if it is messed up not as much money down the drain.

From memory the bufferbeam cowling was part of the chassis molding on the Lima model, The other thing with the railroad model is it has the later plated over headcode boxes. So you would be best off with a lima body. 

What an absolute minefield! So many variations of bodystyle... I think I've narrowed it down and need to try and get hold of one of these cheaply. It has the band continued around the front which the Hornby Railroad body lacks. Detailed and paired with the later Hornby chassis, I think it would make a nice addition.

post-17811-0-27209000-1460200984.jpg

Final touches to the walkway. It's taken me almost a week to do the 2 feet from the tunnel mouth down to the baseboard join but the rest should be quicker as there are no ramps, odd bits of brickwork etc.

Decided to use post and rail fencing to border the walkway and have a tip for anyone thinking of using Ratio's concrete fence posts. Having cut them from the sprue, a very generous 1.5mm (irony) is provided to sink the post into the surrounding landscape. That may be fine for a rigid surface like a platform but zero use when all you have to attach them to is the top of an embankment made entirely from foam insulation! The solution was to carefully drill the base of the post and solvent-weld about an inch and a half of 1.2mm styrene rod into place. Brass rod would have been even better but I didn't have any of a small enough diameter. This rod can then be pushed into the foam like a pin and the whole thing secured with PVA. There is a reason for the two different heights of post and this will become apparent when I throw some greenery at the embankment and take some pictures. The rail that I'll use is 0.7mm diameter styrene rod so should look quite fine, around a scale 2 inches.

post-17811-0-46654900-1460201464.jpg

Edited by Pete 75C
  • Like 11

90% happy with this. There's never a lot of greenery on an urban layout but there's always some. I tend to go for the overgrown scrubby look. Weeds-a-plenty. Not a lot of call for lush meadow grass here. I may re-do the post and rail fencing as it doesn't look as good on the layout as it did in my head! I think the rails look too chunky and that may be down to using styrene rod rather than thin wire. I could have made life a lot easier by just going for a flight of steps down from the cantilevered walkway but hey...

It's taken 8 days of pfaffing about to do this bit of walkway. I thought it was around 2ft but it's only 14"! I'm obviously slowing down! :yes:

post-17811-0-83652300-1460275631.jpg

post-17811-0-86193400-1460275632.jpg

post-17811-0-93032300-1460275633.jpg

post-17811-0-03007900-1460275635.jpg

• Like 17

Nice work Pete, I'm sure the handrails will be worth it !

There's something alluring about a 31 with a white stripe - something different in the sea of blue !

This is as far as I got with my full fat Hornby 31. Needs ETH kit, and TOPs numbers, but I'm not actively modelling blue just at present so it's in a draw UFN.

post-450-0-09166600-1460276624_thumb.jpeg

• Like 3