RMweb

Ripple Lane BR(E) East London 1980s/90s.

Pete 75C

But on a serious note, I'm guessing that this would exactly be the sort of scenario you'd be planning to portray?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsBP1PdL4uk

Pretty much, but I just don't want to model everything as it would have been on one particular date in history, I find that too restricting. I have a habit of stretching the 80s into the 90s and then the 90s back to the 70s. It's really not easy but my likes are too varied to be strictly tied down. If some of the plant on the building site is a little too modern, so be it, I can live with that. A scabby Mk1 Transit would probably not look out of place in 1988 but a Mk5 Transit would look ridiculous if this was strictly 1977. 1977-2000 would suit me fine for the layout's era-span, but certain compromises need to be made. An unrefurbished Class 31 with 3 x Mk1 suburbans alongside a Railfreight grey 47 and some Dutch sealions would no doubt look daft to some, but that's exactly what's likely to be seen at Limehouse. The whole "era" thing is not difficult if I'm ultra-strict and pick a date, but that's not me. I refuse to get too hung up about it as that's when the fun disappears from layout-building. It may only be 23 years, but we've gone from flares and paisley shirts right through to mobile phones and baseball caps. Back to the future, indeed.

• Like 3

The Mk1 Transit is a variant on the cars issue that came up before in this thread: in the same way that someone might be driving a much loved classic car 20 years later, you could easily have a subbie using a third hand beat up Mk1 Transit well past its Best Before date. Up to a point, older stuff can be era stretched more easily than new stuff.

• RMweb Gold

A few more (out of focus) pics, and a few more items.

No more kibri found although I have more  boxes and instructions than I have models at the moment. I'm sure they'll turn up one day when I'm looking for something else...

post-6902-0-58128500-1460904245_thumb.jpg

post-6902-0-03394300-1460904262_thumb.jpg

post-6902-0-69935000-1460904274_thumb.jpg

Additional non kibri discoveries are a knightwing double portakabin, and fork lift kit, also a crew bus. The modern truck is just for scale. The box art shows that the trucks were part of the piledriver set

Dave

• Like 3

Another quality nostalgic film of the area.

...keep this up and the next layout may have to feature steam and trolleybuses. That's a frightening thought. Two things I know absolutely nothing about!

Must.... resist....

• Like 5

Ah the delightful rooflines of north London and a shot of a trolleybus just what you need for your next or this layout don't worry if you don't know about them there are plenty of folks who will help you.Why not go down to Carlton Coalville museum and have a few rides and good look at a trolley they will welcome you and give you lots of help maybe you could drive one? 

• Like 2

Ah the delightful rooflines of north London and a shot of a trolleybus just what you need for your next or this layout don't worry if you don't know about them there are plenty of folks who will help you.Why not go down to Carlton Coalville museum and have a few rides and good look at a trolley they will welcome you and give you lots of help maybe you could drive one? 

Oh dear. I feel a "Croydon 1962" coming on. I'd better put that right out of my head for now and finish this one!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Oh dear. I feel a "Croydon 1962" coming on. I'd better put that right out of my head for now and finish this one!

That would be about the time me dad started taking me too the MRC show at the Horticultural halls nr Victoria, we used too go up through East Croydon and come back through West Croydon.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Teesside and Bradford had trolley busses until 71 and 72!

If you do go to Carlton Coalville play spot the English Electric parts on the trolley busses, they have loads of bits that are common to locomotives. The compressor governor are the same as a 350,20 &40 for instance.

• Like 2

Teesside and Bradford had trolley busses until 71 and 72!

Isn't that up north somewhere Russ? Sorry, mate. Soft southerner at heart. "You can take the Londoner out of London but you can't take the London out of the Londoner". It would have to be something like this...

post-17811-0-75049000-1461045674.jpg

This file is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Unported license

post-17811-0-76017900-1461045739.jpg

© Copyright Ben Brooksbank and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence

post-17811-0-29600600-1461045810.jpg

© Copyright Ben Brooksbank and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence

post-17811-0-54837300-1461045871.jpg

© Copyright Ian Mockford and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence

post-17811-0-36843900-1461045931.jpg

Maybe next time!

I'm still fiddling about with the foundation for the building under construction and the retaining wall that props up that whole chunk of land. I have it in my head to dig down a little bit and have the service connections visible running into and underneath the slab. Sewer connections, electrical cable etc. How well that works out remains to be seen. To top it all, I need to build a traverser for another project which is something I haven't done before and needs to be done RIGHT. All of a sudden, I seem to have a fair bit on my plate. More soon.

Edited by Pete 75C
  • Like 11

Theres always something to do I had a couple of hours in my shed and ended up remodelling part of my fiddle yard ,a traverser this sounds interesting Bournemouth had a turntable for trolleybuses so maybe you could include this on new layout?

• Like 1

Isn't that up north somewhere Russ? Sorry, mate. Soft southerner at heart. "You can take the Londoner out of London but you can't take the London out of the Londoner". It would have to be something like this...

attachicon.gifClass_71_at_Eastleigh_Works_20th_April_1966.jpg

This file is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Unported license

attachicon.gifgeograph-2646775-by-Ben-Brooksbank.jpg

attachicon.gif1024px-Ilford_Manor_Road_geograph-3065865-by-Ben-Brooksbank.jpg

attachicon.gif920795_f1dbeaa1.jpg

© Copyright Ian Mockford and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence

attachicon.gifgeograph-2396457-by-Ben-Brooksbank.jpg

Maybe next time!

Right folks, especially the regular contributors and followers of Pete's work, I'm starting a sweepstake.

All funds invested will be held in an offshore tax haven, just PM me your suggestions of 'How Long' :jester:

Right folks, especially the regular contributors and followers of Pete's work, I'm starting a sweepstake.

All funds invested will be held in an offshore tax haven, just PM me your suggestions of 'How Long' :jester:

I'll have a tenner on "never".

Can I just say that when posting those video clips I was not intending to divert the layout focus to steam hauled suburban or trolleybus layouts, but hoped that they would give some of the flavour of post war East London (much of which survived at least until the 1980s) which appears in the background.

• Like 2

Can I just say that when posting those video clips I was not intending to divert the layout focus to steam hauled suburban or trolleybus layouts, but hoped that they would give some of the flavour of post war East London (much of which survived at least until the 1980s) which appears in the background.

I wasn't even looking in the background. I was too fascinated by what was going on in the foreground! Suffice to say that if I do submit to an early 1960s layout with a bit of steam and the odd trolley, I'll know who to blame...

:jester:

More please!

Seriously, one thing at a time I suppose. I have this to finish and then a commission, and I'm still planning a move abroad at some point in the not-too-distant future. I guess some things are destined to remain forever filed in the "pipe dream" folder.

Wow - you leave a thread for 2 days and all h*ll breaks loose !! How many new pages ?

Just going back to white/grey stripe 31/4's - I dug through my photos and found these

The first 2 are Eastern examples I think

11119189453_3148688335_b.jpgSaturday Byway by Stephen Dance, on Flickr

7425723742_91572e08cf_b.jpgMoon Over Leicester by Stephen Dance, on Flickr

And this one is a Western machine - the grey stripe colour being prominent

5698599151_22dfa2e0ec_b.jpgWR Motive Power Shortage by Stephen Dance, on Flickr

Edited by D1059
  • Like 8

Great shots Steve, thanks for those. Really clear evidence of the raised strip going all the way across the front before the doors were plated over. Still "umming and ahhing" about a Railroad 31 (for the chassis) and then maybe a Lima body off ebay. I think I should just go for it.

• Like 2

Great shots Steve, thanks for those. Really clear evidence of the raised strip going all the way across the front before the doors were plated over. Still "umming and ahhing" about a Railroad 31 (for the chassis) and then maybe a Lima body off ebay. I think I should just go for it.

You should! I ordered the Lima example that we talked about a couple of pages back... thanks to this thread! :mosking:

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Totally irrelevant but the last time "drag" was mentioned in this household, I ended up buying a set of false boobs for a tarts and vicars party. Mercifully, I don't remember much about it...

You may not remember much about it but the video on YouTube was very enlightening Pete.

Mike.

You should! I ordered the Lima example that we talked about a couple of pages back... thanks to this thread! :mosking:

You're right. No sense putting it off. I needed to order some bits from Hattons, so at £42, it would have been daft not to order the Railroad 31. Hopefully it will arrive in a couple of days. Just need to make my mind up which Lima variant to go for. I guess livery doesn't matter as after I've hacked it to death, it will need a repaint, I just need to make sure it has the bodyside seams. I've also ordered some flushglaze and the prehistoric Craftsman detailing kit for the Lima Class 31. I've read that ordering online from Craftsman can be a bit hit & miss, so if the detail kit arrives by about June 2017 I should consider myself fortunate... I'm not in any rush to do the work on the 31 as I have enough to be getting on with, but It will be nice to do a bit of "proper" (tongue in cheek) modelling for a change.

:P

As a committed "box-opener", I often feel harangued by certain sections of the RMWeb community for not casting my own axleboxes or whittling my own telegraph poles from balsa. Two fingers to that. I like opening boxes!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Here's some inspiration for you - some of Stratford's finest in 1979. Some at Liverpool street, remainder when I did or didn't visit Stratford works either as part of an organised tour or not.

post-12721-0-94970300-1461170962_thumb.jpg

post-12721-0-63255700-1461170965_thumb.jpg

post-12721-0-71327400-1461170967_thumb.jpg

post-12721-0-92415400-1461170969_thumb.jpg

post-12721-0-28143100-1461170972_thumb.jpg

post-12721-0-79442600-1461170976_thumb.jpg

post-12721-0-72009900-1461170978_thumb.jpg

post-12721-0-35891100-1461170980_thumb.jpg

Here's a nice idea for a choice of Stratford duff:

post-12721-0-40384700-1461171103_thumb.jpg

post-12721-0-07143900-1461171101_thumb.jpg

I am thinking that your branch could have a relationship with Stratford like the Shepperton Branch did with Strawberry Hill. Anytime they wanted to play trains they used Shepperton. Saw a lot of refurbished units get tested along there in my time.

Hope these are of interest.

Sorry one of the pics has fallen down here. I cant seem to work out why, or how to correct it but it's a rather interesting option for your 31

post-12721-0-39852700-1461170974_thumb.jpg

Edited by colin penfold
  • Like 12