SR/Southern Region Overhead Electrification Equipment

Guest 40-something

Guest 40-something

Hi All

Im planning a new layout set on the Southern Region c1970.  Thoughts have turned to modelling overhead electrification on parts of the layout.

Does anyone have any good links to info/photo's of the equipment used?  Whilst not looking to model the equipment 100%, I would like it to look 'right'

Thanks in advance

• RMweb Premium

I take it that you mean in yards? If so, the few pictures I've seen show standard tramway fitting that are suitable for bow collectors/pantographs. They are hung on span wires.

Andy G

Guest 40-something

I take it that you mean in yards? If so, the few pictures I've seen show standard tramway fitting that are suitable for bow collectors/pantographs. They are hung on span wires.

Andy G

Hi Andy

Thanks for your reply and info, yep, meant in yards!  

Trying to find info on the spacings between the support masts and whether the contact wire zig-zagged as per 25kv equipment, or was it kept in a centre line?

• RMweb Gold

This was ultra-low speed kit, so wear rate on the pan was not an issue. And the locos spent precious little time using the OLE anyway, it being limited to yard acceptance and despatch roads. Shunting was still conducted by diesel pilots. Furthermore, the design of the SR kit pre-dated most ac OLE design, being an integral part of Kent Coast Electrification, authorised in the late 1950s.

I have a drawing "Deal De-electrification of Up siding" (dated 23/01/68) which shows the overhead zig-zaging between poles which are approximately 100ft apart. This is the only drawing I have found showing how it was installed, and I only saw it when another drawing was updated and all old drawings in the file were scrapped (I was managing the Ashford drawing office at the time).

Interestingly the Down platform track was fitted with overhead in part for a loco to access the Down sidings.

Cheers.

Guest 40-something

This was ultra-low speed kit, so wear rate on the pan was not an issue. And the locos spent precious little time using the OLE anyway, it being limited to yard acceptance and despatch roads. Shunting was still conducted by diesel pilots. Furthermore, the design of the SR kit pre-dated most ac OLE design, being an integral part of Kent Coast Electrification, authorised in the late 1950s.

Thanks Ian

I'll be modelling it on the reception and run-round tracks, plus the parcels depot on my proposed layout.  So simple masts, span wires and centre contract wire appears to be the order of the day!

I found of photo at Snowdown of single line OH equipment, hung from a very simple mast (which I've manged to lose!)

Guest 40-something

I have a drawing "Deal De-electrification of Up siding" (dated 23/01/68) which shows the overhead zig-zaging between poles which are approximately 100ft apart. This is the only drawing I have found showing how it was installed, and I only saw it when another drawing was updated and all old drawings in the file were scrapped (I was managing the Ashford drawing office at the time).

Interestingly the Down platform track was fitted with overhead in part for a loco to access the Down sidings.

Cheers.

Thanks Paul, very useful information

The low voltage overhead is very similar to the FS (Italian) system masts, especially the type used in ex 3 phase territory in Northern Italy. Sommerfeldt and Hornby International both do suitable masts, as do some artisan suppliers in Italy.  Sommerfeldt do masts in different heights so these are very suitable for the span wire design as well.

Rivarossi did a suitable mast at one time as well, not the same as the current Hornby one. 

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All

Im planning a new layout set on the Southern Region c1970.  Thoughts have turned to modelling overhead electrification on parts of the layout.

Does anyone have any good links to info/photo's of the equipment used?  Whilst not looking to model the equipment 100%, I would like it to look 'right'

Thanks in advance

The first tram    

• 3 weeks later...

I attempted to model the overheads with my "Brockley Green SE4" layout. I used brass rods with a sleeve on the base into which I soldered a threaded rod to bolt through the layout. The actual supports were a piece of lighter gauge brass rod folded into a triangle shape and soldered after pasting through holes predrilled in the masts. Insulators were glass beads and the overhead itself was two lengths of single strand telephone conductor twisted together. Upon re-flexion twin wire was too heavy and a single may have done the job but would not have been so strong. My overheads gave me no problems through some 22 exhibitions and I could brag my one and only locomotive did make contact with the overhead physically but not electrically. 

post-276-0-06275900-1450709274.jpgpost-276-0-91346700-1450709292.jpg

As far as I could see, on photographs, the overheads had no frogs but crossed each other as the modern AC wires do.

The first tram system type Catenary used on the SR was installed during World War Two to test the Bulleid "Hornbies" (Class 70). It was installed on the Brighton line in the small yard at either Balcombe or Wivelsfield from memory. (Haven´t got my library with me !).

The system like any other using normal pantographs had to "zig-zag" on straight track between each mast to avoid wearing a groove in the pantograph head. On curves the wire goes in a straight line between masts, and the curvature of the track determines the maximum distance between the masts. As the wire is going in a straight line and the pantograph follows the course of the loco through the curve, the same effect as zig-zag occurs on the pantograph. i.e the wire slowly swipes across the head of the pan.

The Duke 71000        

The first installation was at Balcombe. Full details in the Southern Way Special on the SR Co-Cos

Simon

• 9 months later...

I found another drawing showing the DC overhead lines at Ashford while looking for something else. There was a lot of OHL, more than I realised.

The plan of Ashford is dated 27th January 1960 and details modernisation of the marshalling yards.

Lines equipped with OHL are sidings:

1.  1 to 10 in the Down yard, plus the reception roads x 2.

2.  Up Hump yard (beside the MPD)  1 to 9 & 13, and the reception roads x 2 towards Willesborough LC.

3. Receptions roads off the Canterbury line into the Down yard and PAD 1 to 3 plus the Engine run road & shunt neck x 1.

The notes state all sidings equipped for a length of 5 wagons.

Plan shows position of gantries & poles with a line down the centre of the track.

The Newtown sidings by the station were never equipped, the gantries look like the OHL type but were installed for the water supplies and lighting.

Cheers.

Archived