Hornby wheelsets

Budgie

• RMweb Gold

Has anybody come across this before?

I bought a coach from Hornby that they were selling cheaply in one of their periodic clearouts. When I put it on the track (along with a couple of dozen items of other rolling stock) I got a short-circuit, which took ages to find as I wasn't expecting it.

It turns out that Hornby coach wheelsets are made of one non-insulated wheel and one insulated wheel mounted on the axle. Except this one, which has two non-insulated wheels on the axle, and is a nice ready-made short circuit.

Has anybody come across this before?

I bought a coach from Hornby that they were selling cheaply in one of their periodic clearouts. When I put it on the track (along with a couple of dozen items of other rolling stock) I got a short-circuit, which took ages to find as I wasn't expecting it.

It turns out that Hornby coach wheelsets are made of one non-insulated wheel and one insulated wheel mounted on the axle. Except this one, which has two non-insulated wheels on the axle, and is a nice ready-made short circuit.

I haven't. How curious! I wonder if that's the reason why it was sold cheaply. If so, replacing the wheelset should still leave you with a bargain. 

• 2 weeks later...

I had an annoying experience with a Hornby Pullman. I usually run it in an 8-car set of 3x12 wheelers and 5x8 wheelers. This one car would derail on occasions and defied the usual investigations to source the problem, back to backs, sticking bogie swing etc. When I removed the wheels I could see that the extremely sharp flanges had gaps and burrs and believe this to be the cause.

Using a mini drill,grpping the pinpoint end, I spun the axle without moving the wheel along it and using a small file, I removed the roughness, turning the axle end for end for each wheel treatment. When I replaced the wheelsets I put one axle the wrong way round, causing a short!!! Ok, turned the axle round, then the interior lights didn't work!!! ARRHHHH!! I know NOW, each bogie is opposite polarity .I did have grey hair anyway, but the stress levels did go up a few notches for sure.

I have since bought a 10 pack of wheelsets, but note that they are a bit rough in places too, so before use they will get the file treatment.

As an aside, the profile of Bachmann wheels is so much better and not so sharp, however, if I replaced the Hornby wheels with the Bachmann ones, one wheel per axle needs to be made live (conductive silver paint perhaps?). The same would apply to Gibson, Maygib, Romford/Jackson etc. to make the lighting work.

So a big lesson learned here is to remember to replace wheels the same way round as they came out.  As you may have by now, replaced the rougue live wheels on the same axle, I hope you have a decent set without the poor quality flanges I experienced. Yet another QC issue for Hornby, in my opinion.

Happy modelling

Tod

Archived