Mac Alternative to Irfanview?

S.A.C Martin

Hi All,

Have just taken delivery of my first mac - am loving it. However I note I can't use my favoured re-sizing program - irfanview - on the mac. Is there a decent resizing alternative for a mac laptop, so I can resize my photos for the forum?

I'm assuming you have iPhoto on the Mac? If so, you can use the Export function to resize phots for the forum.

Use the Scale Image function set to 480 x 360 (entering the 480 automatically sets the ratio) The stick on the Desktop and attach as required.

This was done that way:

post-143-12672163887_thumb.jpg

ope this helps.

Cheers!

steve

Here's a couple of links for you for Mac software free/shareware/etc

Mac1

Mac2

There are a lot more but these should get you started

And don't forget if you get really desperate you can run some versions of Windows on your Mac either by Bootcamp (supplied with Snow Leopard) or actually within the OS X by using software like Parallels

Should you want to do more than resize, Graphic Converter is worth a try - more file types than mere mortals knew existed. Also resizes and adjusts, without adding the picture to iPhoto, where strange things can happen.

Barry.

I'd second Graphic Converter (from lemkesoft.com). It's got more formats than you can shake a stick at, and does most of what Photoshop can do. It's donationware - after a while it'll nag you for the registration fee, but it's been so useful over the years that in fact it's the only "shareware" type of program that I've registered and paid for.

It's been going since 1993, and it's a lot more mature and stable than many fully-commercial programs.

• 7 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

I did the one below as an experiment using TOOLS in Preview and i hope it has worked ok. Well it didn't so I'll have another go! That didn't work either - so far I have tried dragging off the desktop (didn't work) and 'Copy' - also didn't work, all I get in the post is the file name, Something wrong somewhere I presume.

I've downloaded Graphic Converter but it doesn't have any workshop stuff on it (being updated) so remain rather puzzled as to how to resize or - even more puzzled - how to do edit cropping; help or advice would be appreciated, thanks.

I did the one below as an experiment using TOOLS in Preview and i hope it has worked ok.

Nope, sorry!

I use Preview all the time for cropping and resizing, and if that's all you need to do, then you should be fine with it. The Colour tools aren't bad either for a basic touch up. What exactly do you need to do apart from these tasks?

edit: Do a save as first, then point the file selector in the reply window towards the file you saved. I don't think the Forum s/w supports drag and drop, at least on Mac

• RMweb Gold

post-6859-082774500 1288530097_thumb.jpg

This time I tried the method used with Billdows in the past - click on 'Click To Attach Files and then click on the file I have on the desktop of the 'puter.

As far as actually doing anything with pics is concerned the first steps are cropping where needed and reduction to a suitable size for posting - hopefully I've this time succeeded with the latterscratch_one-s_head_mini.gif. I've managed to do a spot of 'exposure adjustment' in IPhoto with quite good results but I hope to progress to more complex editing as I get used to the computer, which only came out of its box on Thursday, hence ,my interest in a well recommended programme.

Mind you have got a little way with Preview (I hope) I do find the lack of 'save as' as a nuisance at present and will have to get used to the idea of first creating a duplicate before doing any trimming or shrinking etc. Thus lots of 'playing' I think plus take advantage of the 'One To One' arrangement. But notwithstanding that any tips and help will be gratefully received.

• RMweb Gold

Ah, I've now managed to crop and resize in Preview thanks - another view at Cardiff last Monday and slightly left of the 47 seen above - so hopefully it will work. the only irritations are that having opened one pic in Preview the window containing the folder has to be reopened to start on the next one, something of an inconvenience but no doubt meant to steer us towards IPhoto.

post-6859-068044900 1288531541_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

???

post-6908-002030000 1288531742_thumb.jpg

I have just tried it again and this time 'Save As' came up - I must have done something in the wrong order before as every time I tried to save an altered file I couldn't get 'Save As' - odd. The only nuisance now is that having dealt with one picture and saved it I then have to reopen the folder to do the next one - presumably there is a way round that as well (I hope)?

... the only irritations are that having opened one pic in Preview the window containing the folder has to be reopened to start on the next one, something of an inconvenience...

Sidebar is your friend! :)

post-6908-007790900 1288532740_thumb.jpg

Just group select the files you want in the normal Preview file selection window, and click on ok as usual, and they all open up in the sidebar.

edit: just saw your last post .;) Had to open Photoshop though this time to add the red mark-up!

• RMweb Gold

Sidebar is your friend! :)

Just group select the files you want in the normal Preview file selection window, and click on ok as usual, and they all open up in the sidebar.

edit: just saw your last post .;) Had to open Photoshop though this time to add the red mark-up!

Living and learning - very useful this RMWeb can be even if it doesn't involve model railways in the normal sense of the term!

Archived