Bachmann Class 37 37408 Loch Rannoch

markyb208

Hi All,

Has anyone fitted DCC sound to this loco? If so, how did you do it please? It has an eight pin DCC plug. I spoke to one supplier of sound chips who said this loco was not easy to do, but looking around on the web, it does seem that this loco has had DCC sound fitted to it. Also, I was thinking of changing the chassis over to one with a six wheel drive which has a 21 pin DCC plug. Would this mean I need to rewire the loco's lights etc?

I might just add that this is my first forray into DCC sound so all help would be gratefully received.

Regards,

Mark

• RMweb Premium

While I've fitted some of my locos with sound myself, I work on the basis that if it looks difficult, I pay the supplier to do it for me. Paying a professional is cheaper than wrecking a loco or a new sound chip.

It should be straight forward. Just ask for an 8pin decoder when you order the sound. Depending where you get the chip, it will come with a speaker already attached which should fit under the fan grille. Getting better sound is a another matter though, that you will want to consider later when you've got the hang of how things work.

If you are replacing the chassis, most of the all-wheel drive chassis' have a 21 Pin socket and a space for a speaker underneath the fan, though most people prefer to fit a larger speaker in the fuel/water tank area or fittings 2 speakers

The all-wheel drive chassis' have a different lighting system to that of 37408 that relies on small circuit contacts for head/tail lamps and separate contacts for both cab lights, whereas 408 had just head and spotlamps without tail or cab lighting and just uses push connectors.

If you are going down this chassis swap  route I'd suggest getting a later model 37 and then getting a 408 body shell to sit on it. You could also opt for 410 which has the all-drive chassis and is in large logo livery.

There should be no extra difficulty fitting sound to an earlier chassis 37 especially if you are fitting the speaker in the tanks.

• 1 month later...

fitted two of mine in the tanks. remove the weight and dependant on the size of speaker trim the inside to get it to fit. as both mine were in a box I found that you will cut into a recess in the tanks. as the speaker box fills over this there is no need to do anything to cover this up. as it works well for letting the sound out.

Hi All,

I was thinking of changing the chassis over to one with a six wheel drive which has a 21 pin DCC plug. Would this mean I need to rewire the loco's lights etc?

Regards,

Mark

The 8 pin and 21 pin body shells are different and use different securing points and whilst the conversion can be done it does require major surgery that I would not recommend.

As suggested above, 8 pin decoder is the way to go, very straight forward installation.

Archived