Northroader

• RMweb Premium

Well, yes, but.. a) availability at a good price

b) I prefer the look of “high hoods” rather than “low hoods”

c) even for the space I’m using, I like Class 1 rather than short line.

Just don't leave those Beeps all together at night - there'll be more in the morning.  Oh, hang on, I might be thinking of Gremlins!  The Atlas switchers suffer from scaling up.  They end up the same width and height as standard road diesels and should be noticeably smaller.  If you don't know what I'm on about the Rivarossi 4-wheelers do it too, only worse.  There was an article a few years ago with a pic of a 2'6" gauge diesel, pretty much identical to the Rivarossi sold as standard gauge O-scale (40" wheels, etc).

Nearholmer's right about GE44/45/70-tonners.  Of course they've been done in brass and Lionel have done them in plastic, just needing 'converting' to 2-rail  :help: so ... I know leave the Beeps all together again tonight!  Seriously though, if you see a RYM GE switcher (Rich Yoder Models) go into Right Price model!  I have a 45-tonner ... lovely stuff.

Moving house soon.  New layout should start almost immediately.  OK, OK, full of funny thoughts today....

Jason

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

13 hours ago, jasond said:

The Atlas switchers suffer from scaling up.  They end up the same width and height as standard road diesels and should be noticeably smaller.  If you don't know what I'm on about the Rivarossi 4-wheelers do it too, only worse.  There was an article a few years ago with a pic of a 2'6" gauge diesel, pretty much identical to the Rivarossi sold as standard gauge O-scale (40" wheels, etc).

I'm not so sure the Atlas Plymouths are that badly overscale? HO & N models usually are; Bachmann Plymouths in those scales were oversize by about a third, from what I've read. But the Atlas O Plymouths???  here's a comparison.

Real :-

1903986671_PlymouthReal.Jpeg.fd7e9877914d7c38325c743f00874537.Jpeg

Model :-

935652497_PlymouthModel.jpg.b5235fd70a72fb69e6cfe97a4a027f2c.jpg

The model has a taller cab than the real one, I'll grant that - and likely it's because of the motor being in there. Other than that, the frame height & width look close enough to me. There are detail variations on the model that might or might not be prototypical, but the only real deviation that sticks out to me is that most Plymouths were inside-frame locos, with exposed wheels. I have seen one photo somewhere of a real Plymouth with side frames like Atlas has done, but I suspect the real reason for Atlas doing themlike this was to hide the flangeless ('blind') center wheels.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

Scale or not, those Atlas Plymouths are exceedingly good runners, very smooth.

Years ago I built a model of a 15” gauge loco using one, when I was heavily into Heywood-type things and realised that everything worked out very neatly to 1:12 scale ....... it was quite different from doing 009.

• Like 2

On 11/02/2020 at 15:23, Northroader said:

Try another comparison, just for the say so:

CBA6CB9F-9BF2-4877-9CE2-C58D4E7EDB70.jpeg.44fd10da988a25036771df4f49ebc46d.jpeg

I do like the look of the Beep, it has character and doesn't give the impression of being a 'cartoon' engine - well, not after it's been worked on a bit. Personally I'd keep it on trucks if I had one, but that's just my preference.

I've never really liked the 'centercab' locos such as the GE 44tonner, can't explain why!! Maybe it's to do with something that attracted me to US diesels in the first place, in that most of them have a definite "direction" - a front and a back, because of having a single cab & it's location on the frames, as opposed to most UK mainline diesels with identical cabs at each end, so either end can be 'forwards'. The GE centercabs also lose that sense of 'direction', if that makes sense...

Edit:- looking back at my post above with the Plymouths, I realised how redundant it was labelling the photos as "real" & "model"... :rolleyes: :fool: :no:

Edited by F-UnitMad

14 minutes ago, F-UnitMad said:

I've never really liked the 'centercab' locos such as the GE 44tonner, can't explain why!! Maybe it's to do with something that attracted me to US diesels in the first place, in that most of them have a definite "direction" - a front and a back, because of having a single cab & it's location on the frames, as opposed to most UK mainline diesels with identical cabs at each end, so either end can be 'forwards'. The GE centercabs also lose that sense of 'direction', if that makes sense...

Funny, I don't think the PE has ever had a single ended vehicle. Even the combines have two cabs. And its founder was the nephew of the Chairman of the SP.

Andy

• RMweb Premium

I suppose you could “fake it” by adding dummy idler outer wheels, remove the wheels off the centre axle - you’d still need the axle and drive gear, then make up two sets of dummy bogie frames, not that I mean to! 

I think with Geeps, although the roads had a definite sense of which end they wanted to lead, as the driver had to be sited on the right to keep the unions happy, you can still get away with working them in either direction on your layout, which on a small line without having to turn them is a big plus. (I don’t think the controls were duplicated across the cab in a Geep the way they were on a British shunter)

Don’t  worry, Andy, I’m not adding a trolley pole on top!

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, Northroader said:

Don’t  worry, Andy, I’m not adding a trolley pole on top!

Wasn't there a line in a song about that, something along the lines of a "Trolley with the pole on top"?

• RMweb Premium

By the way, Jordan, you can’t “keep” a Beep on trucks, because it never had any. The RMT originals run on a four wheel chassis, motored on each axle. This is done coarse standards matching Lionel, and they’re three rail, so the chassis ain’t much use to man or beast. It’s only the bodyshell that’s any use to a Serious Modeller like me.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Northroader said:

This is done coarse standards matching Lionel, and they’re three rail, so the chassis ain’t much use to man or beast.

Speaking as a frightful beast, it might be of use to me, if your locos came with innards that you wish to shed.

• RMweb Premium

But Kevin, were talking Lionel, LIONEL! A Hornby tinplate man would take one look and run away, they’re very good  at bombproof running on the carpet, but they look ghastly. TBH, all I’ve ever got from RMT is solely the bodyshell on its own, never the full monty, because they’re not especially cheap as it is. I do owe you, and I nearly got something for the 63 line this morning, but decided against it, so I’m continuing searching.

I wasn’t aware you owed me - it’s usually me who owes everyone else!

Lionel certainly operate to their own unique aesthetic standards for their run-of-the-mill things, but their ‘mechanics’ are very sound/solid, because they have to stand up to proper toy use. I thought a 4W drive unit might be hidden under a Sentinel, or power the really strange Japanese, but looks Irish, tin railcar body that I acquired recently.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, Northroader said:

By the way, Jordan, you can’t “keep” a Beep on trucks, because it never had any. The RMT originals run on a four wheel chassis, motored on each axle. This is done coarse standards matching Lionel, and they’re three rail, so the chassis ain’t much use to man or beast. It’s only the bodyshell that’s any use to a Serious Modeller like me.

Thankyou for the reminder. I knew they were 3-rail; forgot they are 4-wheelers! :blush: :fool:

1 hour ago, Northroader said:

they’re very good  at bombproof running on the carpet,

On the carpet??!!?? What, no track??? :jester:

Sorry.... :punish:

• Funny 1

8 hours ago, Regularity said:

Wasn't there a line in a song about that, something along the lines of a "Trolley with the pole on top"?

We only talk about "Hello Dolly" at home. The lovely woman  who played the flower shop owner is my wife's best friend.

Andy

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Here’s another comparison, an Atlas/ RMTbeep with an Atlas Plymouth. The Beep is the pioneer one which has been reallocated and currently having a repaint, the Plymouth is a newly arrived eBay purchase I’m very pleased with, in good nick and a very reasonable bid.

Edited by Northroader
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

That’s alright then. I was just after the undercart. The modification is just the ends blanked off and drawhooks and three links added, I suppose picking up a set of kadees with it was too much to hope for.

Edited by Northroader