Northroader

• RMweb Premium

Where have we got to? Well, work is progressing on converting a 50’ gondola into two 28’ gondolas:

Then thanks to Jordan I've become aware that I’m bereft of bobbers,so here’s the first stage of one of they:

In addition, I have the need to want to thank all the folks who look in on this thread for their interest and comments, and give the traditional wish for a Happy Christmas with their families, and that New Year is a Good One for you all.

Bob

Edited by Northroader
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

If you look at the 'American O-Scale in the UK' Fb group you'll see I've got a seasonal header image.  It's a stretched Rivarossi/AHM gondola, lettered years ago with decals and Letraset (aaaah ... the good ole' days of steady hands!)

So, somewhere in the garage should be the other two trimmed ends - any use to anyone?  In my defence, back then AHM cars would typically be a fiver.  I'll try and remember to take them to NMRABR Winter Meet Stokenchurch Sun Jan30 if it's still on.  Otherwise just postage'll do it, but please don't expect 'next day delivery'.

Jason

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Running a shorty line, I’ve been envious of Jordan’s Bobbers, and thinking I should have a slice of that. There was a picture of stage one a couple of posts ago, which was an 1/8” ply base, and I’ve moved on from there:

Theres now a brass strip under this, carrying two pairs of freight wheelsets. One of these is arranged to rock transversely, and putting this down on the track it does give bombproof running qualities. Below this there’s a piece of lead flashing folded over for some useful weight, and at each end Kadee couplers screwed through the deck and some plastikard packing, and the packing also supports steps on each corner. Above the ply there’s a rectangle of plastikard which will form the body floor, and some dummy solebars and axleguards can be fixed to this. All this is bolted together with two 6BA screws, and now I can progress the body.

Edited by Northroader
  • Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium

Out of curiosity, I looked at the publication date of that book, as the prices seemed a bit optimistic...  1971! Ouch! FIFTY years Ago! Doesn’t time fly?

Edited by Northroader
  • Like 2
  • Funny 1

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

I’ve actually finished the 26’ bobber caboose, great idea, they should have bobber boxcars and bobber gondolas as well. (Incidentally, there aren’t the usual end stepladders, they got onto the roof through hatches in the cupola)

4AC1D19C-F4CC-400A-860C-4409451CDF47.jpeg.a825d30cbbdb86fe424806ba4e06c414.jpeg

it’s the “little red caboose behind the train” so a train is needed. First off an old 28’ wood boxcar, and which I’ve managed to retain the proper decals:

99C7C644-BAE9-414E-975C-5C6C99FF05B4.jpeg.19d37a125a1733311f94f64ed53c8305.jpeg

Then what was originally half of an Atlas gondola, which has had a rebuild, and gained a load of coffee stirrers:

318F3051-8A74-44BF-AC74-F91DED88F194.jpeg.f904ee0654539c50a85e1942f36470eb.jpeg

With a Beep on the head end, there’s a nice compact freight for somewhere between the Twin Cities and the Pacific.

D7623C4C-34EF-46C3-8C2E-FE137E6D7FA1.jpeg.4779feefe91b9029519fec1b8b7eaf42.jpeg

Edited by Northroader
  • Like 8
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

I should have really tried to make it lower, the stovepipe jams inside the stock storage box I’ve made for it. It was done to a scale drawing, hah! me using a scale drawing, I’ve just skipped the fancy compensation bits between the axle boxes. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Back home after Christmas at my daughters, just lazing about stodged up, overcome by inertia. So, what’s on the telly? Picked up two films, an hour or so apart, and in the way of these things, just saw the second half of both.

”Oklahoma” the 1955 musical, and “3:10 to Yuma” a 1957 cowboy. There’s a train in both, with an interesting looking station, so do an enquiry. Funny thing is they both used the same place for the shoot, although it’s several hundred miles from Hollywood, quite a coincidence. The place is called Elgin, Arizona, on a SP branch line down near the Mexican border, so quite a Western situation. A few years after the films were done, the line closed and was lifted, but if you want a small western station with a few simple buildings, a main line and a siding or two, it does look really nice, so here’s a shot from each of the films, a nice, colourful depot, and a very run down train:

63B88104-8EC3-4EF8-81F3-72AB7B0ACB77.jpeg.ec0d2cfa44692a54d1542cff07bf05e7.jpeg

DD85ECD5-DE7F-4FEA-99FE-52C167B68158.jpeg.b912900ecb13dd646f63007194b671f1.jpeg

its just getting a balance between the two. Here’s  links to where the information is:

http://www.wawyckoff.com/Lizzie/RailFan03.html

https://obscuretrainmovies.wordpress.com/2017/09/01/310-to-yuma-1957/

Just to add, I’ve missed my Christmas wishes, but the very best to any hopeful persons still following this, for a Happy New Year, and some successful modelling.

Bob.

Edited by Northroader
  • Like 4

Merry in-between-Christmas-and-new-year!

That depot looks like a model, with an overdose of woodland scenics in front of the obviously painted backdrop.

I was wondering how you were, a thought prompted by the fact that I’ve just been running a train of tin six-wheelers round my new layout.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

The trees could be an “add on” by the film folks to make Arizona look more like Oklahoma, they’re not around in the other film.

Thanks for asking, Kevin, I’m alright, but I’m afraid most of the action has moved over to Beyond Dover for now (hint, hint) I wish I’d got the energy to push the other threads along at the same rate.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 months later...