Diesel green(s)

The Nth Degree

I've been looking at colours mentioned for the green body colour used on the early diesel fleet. When it's mentioned specifically it is called an assortment of names, including BTC Green, Standard BR Green, Brunswick Green, Deep Bronze Green and a few others.

Did all these colours exist or was there a very specific colour or set of colours specified and used by BR and its loco suppliers? Indeed, are these all the same colour?

For example, I've heard that the pioneer diesel locos on test used a certain shade of green, but once they had been accepted into the fleet they were painted a different shade of green. Is this true? If so, what were the colours?

I'm thinking of a few locos in particular, like the BTH Type 1 (Class 15), Derby Type 2 (Class 24), NBL Type 2 (Class 21), Brush Type 2 (Class 30/31) and the Drewry & BR shunters (Class 4 & 3).

Any help is gratefully received.

Steve

I've been looking at colours mentioned for the green body colour used on the early diesel fleet. When it's mentioned specifically it is called an assortment of names, including BTC Green, Standard BR Green, Brunswick Green, Deep Bronze Green and a few others.

Did all these colours exist or was there a very specific colour or set of colours specified and used by BR and its loco suppliers? Indeed, are these all the same colour?

For example, I've heard that the pioneer diesel locos on test used a certain shade of green, but once they had been accepted into the fleet they were painted a different shade of green. Is this true? If so, what were the colours?

I'm thinking of a few locos in particular, like the BTH Type 1 (Class 15), Derby Type 2 (Class 24), NBL Type 2 (Class 21), Brush Type 2 (Class 30/31) and the Drewry & BR shunters (Class 4 & 3).

Any help is gratefully received.

Steve

A lot of the terms for the green come from which manufacture produced the paint. For instance Derby used paint from Masons who called it Deep Bronze Green. Dulux tins used in several works had BTC Green or Standard BR green on the tins.

Just to add to the story, the lighter green used on the Deltics and Hymeks was a different shade to the lighter green used on the Class 47s.

The green used originally on the 71s was SR carriage green.

Best wishes

Simon

A lot of the terms for the green come from which manufacture produced the paint. For instance Derby used paint from Masons who called it Deep Bronze Green. Dulux tins used in several works had BTC Green or Standard BR green on the tins.

Interesting, thanks. So we're they all the same specification colour with different names or different colours?

• RMweb Premium

That is something I never knew before, thanks.

As far as I am aware, even if the paint had different names, it was supposed to be the same colour, with a lineage going back to GWR green via BR Express Loco Green. The trouble with BR diesel green it did like to fade and discolour when work stained, so if two locos looked the same you were stood in the paint shop and they were awaiting delivery to their sheds. With my collection of diesel models, RTR, conversions, scratchbuilt and the odd kit I have a vast array of "standard green" locos. Even the ones painted by me differ as I have not used the same manufactures BR green paint. I do think they look good where the shade of green is not a constant, similar but not the same. I also find that the loco shape, the position and number of grilles, lining, yellow panels (or wasp stripes) and red buffer beams can make two locos not of the same class appear to have a variation of the same green paint. 

Still the only colour a British diesel locomotive should be and that includes the Westerns.

Archived