Newcastle show 14th & 15th November

Axlebox

A good show with some quality layouts. Blackgill was definitely a favourite despite the comedy stylings of Mr Arsey Main and his straight man Poxiebox. I thought their use of the curtain and high backscene was very derivative of Morecambe and Wise.

Although there was also a hint of Wilson, Keppel and Betty. With Main playing the part of Betty.

Here is a shot of Poxiebox as Ernie Wise (the backscene hiding the short, fat hairy legs) with his comedy uncoupling stick routine.

post-1303-0-41407900-1447611534_thumb.jpg

As an aside the distaff side chose not to attend today. This was due to the Mem being recently accosted in the aisle of Mr Smiths Durham Emporium, by Mr Main during some particularly inclement weather. Mr Mains assertion that it was because of his overtight galoshes didn't quite ring true.

Mike

• RMweb Gold

I thoroughly enjoyed the show today and, as DLI says, some excellent layouts. I won't mention any by name but I don't think there was one I didn't enjoy spending some time watching.

I didn't spend too much either - that's a first.

Well done to the lads and lasses of the Newcastle club for yet another memorable show this weekend.

Sadly I didn't get much time to have a look round, but what I did see was damn good array of talent right across the scale spectrum...Blackgill backed onto Pempoul so we were treated all weekend to a birds eye view of Mr and Mrs Gravett's handiwork. 

If I'd had more time I would have loved to linger at Hungerford, Kilbrandon, Glen Dour Distillery and of course New Hey.

Finally the Newcastle show will next year travel back to...Newcastle...and beyond...in fact to Heaton Manor School...which is on the north east side of town.

In the interests of RMWeb we took it upon ourselves to go and check out the local retailers of intoxicating liquor in and around Heaton Manor and can wholeheartedly recommend http://www.brandlingvilla.co.uk/ (it would appear that this establishment has been frequented by quite a few RMwebbers over the years).

Also, really nice to see so many old friends...and thanks DLI for photoshopping out my bald patch!

A/Box

Thanks to everyone for a great show (I see next years is going to be at my grandchildren's school in Heaton). I agree Blackhill is great to watch and very well presented to the viewer.

My favourite, in a week-end dominated by horrific events in Paris, was the the wonderfully evocative Pempoul - with a Mallet tank creeping slowly through the little French settlement, operated dreamily from the front by its creator.

It really amazed me - the whole presentation being scratch built using an ideal 1:50 architectural scale!

The post 1945 beton (concrete) details of new electricity poles, road signage and early postwar Citroen and Renault (4CV) cars - no middle class Peugots or Vedettes - brought  back my first trip outside the UK on my pushbike to N France in 1954.

A guy exiting a bar demonstrated his early matt grey 2CV enthusiastically to me driving me up and down the steps of the local eglise at a fair old clip!

dh

Archived