Newcastle show 14th & 15th November

Axlebox

No Porcy, that is the heed of the layout owner as featured dancing about behind Martyn Nield. I definitely had hair 25 years ago if you don't mind.....

And Axlebox, my video stops at 2:46 so I don't get to see the dapper young gent you think is me.

Dave.

sorry gr King...given the 'tree quest' theme to the last half a dozen posts I has misread your post and thought you'd typed 'Sapling'...is there an exhibition in Spalding this weekend...you ought to advertise it on rmweb...

...in fact for a tenner each me and my mate Pourcy are thinking of setting up an advertising agency to publicize stuff on this forum...don't let onto the admin boys mind or we'll be barred for life again...

Also...nicked this (see below) off the Scalefour site...looks like those chaps have every intention to model Pourcy's tree...and have even included it in their templot plot...they think of everything...

Also...the competition has been won by a Mrs Trellis of North Wales who wrote me a letter...weird thing is her handwriting is just like Pourcys...

A/box

Pelton%20Level_zpsxrkmajgh.jpg

• RMweb Premium

So now its time for a round of the game called Marlborough Mornington Crescent.

Starting from Durham tomorrow I'll have to take the over ground route as far as Gatesheed Interchange and decide my next move from there?

Looking forward to the exhibition where A Mr Alexander is waiting to relieve me of some cash in exchange for a kit of parts (or 2 if my mate can't get there himself)

Great advertising Porcy Main and Axlebox.

Edit for typo

• RMweb Gold

Can't wait to gan to Gatesheed tommora to see the sensational new comedy duo , Porcy Main and Axlebox.

Might have more success if they called themselves Arcy Main and Poxlebox.

Don't encourage them, for God's sake! Ahem, I mean: "Forsooth, good sirs! The day be upon us when the great and good of railway modelling fraternity shall decend on the hallowed halls of Gateshead International Stadium (home of the world-famous Heed Army) for to display the finest models of railway locomotion known to man. Prythee, come ye to the exhibition tomorrow to be delectated by the fine array of layout arranged for you viewing pleasure. And make haste to Blackgill to take in the double act that is sweeping the musichalls of late, Arcy Main and Poxlebox, who will be enrapturing the throngs with their slapstick shouting and derailing routine."

Arp

Y

So now its time for a round of the game called Marlborough Mornington Crescent.

I'm sorry I haven't a clue what you're on about.

Strange that Marlborough Crescent is home to the organizers of this show. (To which I have no connection)

Unless availing myself of a OK motor Services coach I was a Worswick Street man. I much preferred the soft rubber tiled floor (I kid you not) of that terminus. (The 55 from Dhm).

Marlborough Crescent yesterday.

post-508-0-70552200-1447416601.jpg

Can't wait to gan to Gatesheed tommora to see the sensational new comedy duo

You'll have a job seeing either of us. Reason being we will be moving like lighting to keep the layout running, having just found out we are to be 3.5 operators down.

That's approaching 50% of the full time staff.

So to make up for any impending glitches in the timetable, I have decided to spend this evening bathing in coal tar emulsion. That means tomorrow, viewers of the layout will be able to re-live a much more authentic atmosphere to the layout by being able to sample the aroma of the nearby, yet long gone Pelton Fell Coke works which I will be leaving in my wake.

So to make up for any impending glitches in the timetable, I have decided to spend this evening bathing in coal tar emulsion. That means tomorrow, viewers of the layout will be able to re-live a much more authentic atmosphere to the layout by being able to sample the aroma of the nearby, yet long gone Pelton Fell Coke works which I will be leaving in my wake.

Makes a change from boiled cabbage I suppose....

Shame I can't make it this weekend but we'll all be down at Wakefield with Alloa next weekend, shall we start promoting that now guys.

Dave Franks.

• RMweb Premium

"I was a Worswick Street man. I much preferred the soft rubber tiled floor (I kid you not) of that terminus. (The 55 from Dhm)."

Brit 70053 said:

I used to find the United or Northern (Shared) Service 42 Ex Crook more convenient as, IIRC, every third service continued beyond the normal destination of Durham on to Worswick Street Newcastle.

No longer an option as the renumbered 46 doesn't get past Durham.

Good luck with operating the layout over the weekend, hope to meet you if you can stop for breath tomorrow.

Edit to clarify who said what

Makes a change from boiled cabbage I suppose....

Hmmmm.... Boiled cabbage and infants school gravy. I can smell it now. Even though it was fifty ten years ago...

we'll all be down at Wakefield with Alloa next weekend, shall we start promoting that now guys.

What! Would that be the Wakefield show in Wakefield? Thats not very hip. "The Wakefield Show in Dewsbury", has a far better ring to it. Next year perhaps?

...thanks to everyone for their witty contributions this week, as events in Paris unfold over the next few days, please come and enjoy the show and say a few words for our French cousins across the channel.

Y

Unless availing myself of a OK motor Services coach I was a Worswick Street man. (I kid you not) of that terminus. (The 55 from Dhm).

Marlborough Crescent yesterday.

attachicon.gifMarlboroCres.jpg

Shurely Primrose to Blackpool or Wrights over Hartside to Keswick from Marlborough.

Off to Gateshead Stadium now.

dh

• RMweb Premium

Well, I made it to the Stadium today and was very impressed with the exhibits overall and particularly found PEMPOUL captivating (again)..

Congratulations to Porcy Mane, Axlebox and Co on a very impressive layout BLACKGILL. I viewed the layout 3 times during the day, but was unable to make myself known, understandable in view of the staff shortage as previously notified, the placement of the layout in the hall and the strategically placed facia, which would have required considerable contortion  on my part at least, to enable a face to face conversation.

Nonetheless, I do think the layout is an outstanding example of modelling guys, well done.

Now, I have to schedule construction of 2 x Alexander G5 kits, but need to source bogie wheels first.

Edit spelling

• RMweb Gold

I spent a very pleasant morning there today, met a number of old friends and managed to buy a few items - including a loco kit I'd been wanting for a number of years.

Some very nice layouts too.

David

A very good show.

Pempoul proved to be one of those rare layouts that looks as good in the flesh as it does in the photographs.  It's a superb piece of work which, despite being a roundy round with a fiddle yard at the rear is operated entirely from the front with no need for anyone to man the fiddle yard.

thumb_IMG_0511_1024_zpsoi4mlwdd.jpg

thumb_IMG_0512_1024_zpstcqqct7e.jpg

thumb_IMG_0513_1024_zpskfshmhvh.jpg

Special thanks to Eddie Ford and the rest of the Blackgill team for allowing me to man the Tyne Dock fiddle yard for a couple of hours.  It's the first time I've operated a layout at a show and it's harder work than it looks...

John

Archived