'Cambrian Street'

BobM

• RMweb Gold

Good to see you back Bob,

I've been suffering from the mojo loss recently, have tried to get back into modelling a couple of times, but it hasn't stuck.

It's nice to see some pictures from Cambrian Street again!

Gary

• Friendly/supportive 1

Evening guys,

Hope all are keeping well and in ‘fine fettle’?

Just a couple of images to show where it is the intention to place my GWR water tower,

this being to the side of the coaling ramp and stage as this is the area where I have the greatest space in the MPD.

Could I pose a question and ask you good guys, does this look okay and would the tower be in such a location in a GWR yard?

Thanks 

Bob

IMG_5057.jpeg.dd52385db6b331fb56ab53823e60dbf0.jpeg

IMG_5058.jpeg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Why do you need another water tower Bob? I mean you have a big one on the coaling stage already.

Regards Lez.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 minutes ago, lezz01 said:

Why do you need another water tower Bob? I mean you have a big one on the coaling stage already.

Regards Lez.

Hi mate,

You can see the state I’ve got myself in recently, I’d totally overlooked the that fact, I’ll go and sit on the naughty step!

😢

Can relocate tower or pass on to someone.

Regards

Bob

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi Bob, the area where you’ve placed the water tower would usually have a track for wagons to be loaded with ash from the ash pit, which would usually be on the track next to the coal stage. 

Hi

The intention was to place my ash pits on the other side of the ramp indicated here by the wagons?

The addition tower could go beside the shed itself?

Bob

IMG_5060.jpeg.bd1ba512927a608225b0554aeaa176d3.jpeg

IMG_5059.jpeg.e10a00c461a89c196af57c8d49d133d5.jpeg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

How about somewhere in the station limits Bob. You'll have water cranes on the end of the platforms won't you?

Regards Lez. 

Edited by lezz01
  • Friendly/supportive 1

21 minutes ago, lezz01 said:

How about somewhere in the station limits Bob. You'll have water cranes on the end of the platforms won't you?

Regards Lez. 

Hi

Thanks Lez, yes that’s the intention.

I’m trying to get my head back into gear after a ‘Rocky Road’ one way or another, getting back on to the layout is helping me focus my attention!

Cheers buddy

Bob

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

Yes mate I've been that way myself over the last 12 months. I went through a very bad episode of the black dog and I've only really just got my mojo back myself. It took me 12 months to convert the first 3F to EM but it only took 4-5 weeks to do the second one because of all of the jigs I built paying dividends, the only reason I haven't declared the second one finished is because I'm changing the identity of it and I'm just waiting now for shed plates to arrive to finish her off. She is however running beautifully down to a slow crawl and I'm very pleased with her but I've made a bit of a Horlicks of changing the number and I'm having to remedy some very sketchy paintwork but I'm a little cautious of it in case I make it worse. So I'm a little guilty of putting it off.     

Regards Lez.   

Edited by lezz01
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Posted (edited)

Evening all,

Just a question I’m hoping you good guys can answer?

My question relates to the difference between an inspection pit and an ash pit, with regard to specifically their respective depths.

Would they have similar depths or would an ash pit be shallower and of a differing design?

I cannot locate images of an ash pit to easily provide information.

I had a thought these were 4 foot deep and shorter than an inspection pit?

Regards

Bob

Edited by BobM

Some pictures from Didcot. 

20200906_121427.jpg.d9580218a0ced4982f7d633bacca4e04.jpg

Looks like cement in the shed.

20190608_172045.jpg.21b8cedde615d9e0302fa7f25cce092e.jpg

And out on the Coaling Stage line too. Not sure if they are brick built and skimmed or poured in situ

Hope that helps.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 minute ago, didcot said:

3 foot deep and 3 4" wide in the shed according to the E Lyons drawing. 

Cheers buddy

Regards

Bob

• Thanks 1

The intended position of the inspection pits are indicated by the white outside the shed.

IMG_5074.jpeg.4b4a137397644d6e3b0b8d2b2a006432.jpeg

The intended position likewise of the ash pit beside the coaling ramp.

IMG_5075.jpeg.16d4c3685d1f682ea21e063dca822f44.jpeg

Regards 

Bob

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

Afternoon!

Hope all are well?

Continuing to look at the turntable/ coaling area for improvements, I hopefully have done so so by inserting a small ‘Y’ point on to the access road of the turntable?

This has allowed me to I hope utilise the available space and add interest by providing an additional siding, marked here by (which may not remain as such) a coaling platform.

This could be turned into an additional ash pit road perhaps if not just a siding?

Regards

Bob

IMG_5077.jpeg.06757f463d778feeb1dfc4dcdbe731a1.jpeg

IMG_5081.jpeg.11369dde29f588abb8fbe48638ed225d.jpeg

IMG_5079.jpeg.a97dbda8339cef1e892617a2460dd7e4.jpeg

Edited by BobM
  • Like 4

Posted (edited)

Evening!

Having settled on the added small ‘Y’ and adapted the turntable roads, the additional parallel siding I intended to use as the site for the ash pit site?

2217 sitting where it is intended to place the pit.

Regards

Bob

IMG_5083.jpeg.1295381301d9c2138d016498aefb173c.jpeg

IMG_5082.jpeg.30e01e08ea0924655c2605e94ebe2628.jpeg

Edited by BobM
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Hi Bob,

I think it would be more prototypical for the new road (where 2217 is) to be used to hold wagons to be loaded with ash to be taken away, and the coal stage road (where 2213 is) to have the ash pit.

Usually the fire would be dropped while the tender/bunker of the engine was being replenished for its next duty.

Once it had cooled the ash would be shovelled from the pit into the waiting wagons.

• Friendly/supportive 1