'Cambrian Street'

BobM

Hi All....

Just to say that where the ('flying rat') pigeon sat in the rain last night, after its escapade down my chimney, there were only a few scattered feathers remaining early this morning, so perhaps a passing sparrow hawk or fox has had a breakfast feast!

Not much of an existence really is it....baked in the recent heat.........., drenched in the rain yesterday......., fell down a chimney......., trapped in the dark......, 'fished out' with a paint roller........, chucked out in the rain........and eaten for breakfast!

Hey ho!

Have a great week....

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 1

Evening guys.......

Hope all are well...?

Just an update to say that I will be, after a gap of about 40 years, venturing back into the world of kit construction with the arrival today of  two Wills Kits, one SS15 Coal Yard Hut and one SS16 Weighbridge and hut, both to be adapted to suit the confines and requirements of the coal yards on Cambrian Street, will let you know how I get on, planning that it will look for something akin to this beauty....

post-20610-0-06578900-1534183682.jpg

I will need to research brick colouring and paints required.....but the image above and text below is copied from 'The coal merchants' on this site by wiggoforgold'......and provides an ideal starting position....

The office building was made from the Wills kit. After assembly, the brickwork was painted with red-brown Tamiya acrylic, and some individual bricks were picked out with different shades of Tamiya acrylic. Once dry, the brick areas were given a wash of very runny Artex( I think any plaster would do, I happen to have a bag or Artex to hand) The mixture was quickly wiped off with a damp cotton bud, leaving the mixture in the courses which when dry represented the cement pointing. This was then given a wash of dilute black Indian ink. The use of Indian ink in this way was a technique I discovered on this forum and have found very useful. Finally the building was dry brushed with Tamiya matt medium green and dark earth.

However the weighbridge plate and paving around it, adapted to look like this....

post-20610-0-73173100-1534183693.jpg

Regards always....

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 4

Evening guys.......

Hope all are well...?

Just an update to say that I will be, after a gap of about 40 years, venturing back into the world of kit construction with the arrival today of  two Wills Kits, one SS15 Coal Yard Hut and one SS16 Weighbridge and hut, both to be adapted to suit the confines and requirements of the coal yards on Cambrian Street, will let you know how I get on, planning that it will look for something akin to this beauty....

attachicon.gifblogentry-6772-0-99831700-1377554582.jpg

I will need to research brick colouring and paints required.....but the image above and text below is copied from 'The coal merchants' on this site by wiggoforgold'......and provides an ideal starting position....

The office building was made from the Wills kit. After assembly, the brickwork was painted with red-brown Tamiya acrylic, and some individual bricks were picked out with different shades of Tamiya acrylic. Once dry, the brick areas were given a wash of very runny Artex( I think any plaster would do, I happen to have a bag or Artex to hand) The mixture was quickly wiped off with a damp cotton bud, leaving the mixture in the courses which when dry represented the cement pointing. This was then given a wash of dilute black Indian ink. The use of Indian ink in this way was a technique I discovered on this forum and have found very useful. Finally the building was dry brushed with Tamiya matt medium green and dark earth.

However the weighbridge plate and paving around it, adapted to look like this....

attachicon.gifmrkh740.jpg

Regards always....

Bob

Hi Andy...

I hope I can recreate half of what the coal office image shown here is....mine will be a great deal less impressive...but I'll do my best...

Hope you're okay...?

Regards always

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Bob.

There are lots of ways to do brickwork mate. 

First way is to paint the whole thing in your mortar colour and then wipe most of it off again leaving the paint in the mortar courses. Then pick out individual bricks starting with a few that are almost black/blue. Then using a basic brick red colour as a starting colour paint a few more at random and then make the colour a bit darker and paint a few more. Keep doing this until you have painted all the bricks.

The next way is to paint the bricks first and then make up a runny mortar mix and touch it onto the wall and it will be drawn onto the wall and flow along the mortar courses by capillary action. Wipe off any that is on the surface and that's that one done. 

The way I do it is like this. Make up a basic brick colour and paint some bricks at random then darken the mix and paint a few more. Repeat this a few times until you get to black/blue and then let it dry out. Once it's dry dry brush the whole wall with an orangey brick colour. Once all this has dried out overnight in the airing cupboard push small balls of very wet DAS into the whole thing and rub it in well with wet fingers. DO NOT LET IT DRY. Now take a damp sponge and gently rub the DAS off until you have just the mortar courses filled with DAS and you have wiped it all off the faces of the bricks. Let this dry and then you can weather it down with powders until you are happy with it and then fix the weathering powders with a spray mat varnish. Fit any windows and doors last and then weather the windows and doors. The last thing you fit is the glazing. You might add some talc to the paint as you go along to get a rough texture. Don't use your best brushes for this unless you are painting all of the bricks individually coz it's a very easy way to ruin a good brush. 

Slate roofs are just like the walls only you don't need to add a mortar colour and you just use gray and keep adding a bit of black. To simulate lead flashing on a ridge don't file a flat on the ridge. Instead cut a piece of plastic rod to the length of the roof ridge and glue it to the ridge line, then get a packet of blue king size slim Rizla fag papers. Decide how wide you want it and cut it to this width and fold it in half length ways and holding it in place with a paint brush flood it with solvent with another brush and push it into the ridge line and let it all dry out. Once dry paint it with metalcoat polished steel mixed 50/50 with gunmetal 53 and it will dry a lovely new lead colour. Now if you polish it with a dry cotton bud it will look just like new lead flashing if you don't polish it it looks like older lead flashing.

That's walls and roofs mate.

Regards Lez.          

Edited by lezz01
  • Informative/Useful 1

Cheers Lez.....and all...

Really looking forward to the impending darker evenings ( sad really) as I can begin concentrating on the layout once more....

Regards always....

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Bob,

You might be interested in the "Chooch Enterprises" cobblestone sheets in today's Hatton's Mailing List. (Apols if you've already seen them.)

Large and medium with matching detail sheets:

E.g. https://www.hattons.co.uk/357440/Chooch_Enterprises_8656CH_Flexible_adhesive_road_sheet_medium_cobblestones_300mm_x_95mm/StockDetail.aspx

• Like 2

Hi Bob,

You might be interested in the "Chooch Enterprises" cobblestone sheets in today's Hatton's Mailing List. (Apols if you've already seen them.)

Large and medium with matching detail sheets:

E.g. https://www.hattons.co.uk/357440/Chooch_Enterprises_8656CH_Flexible_adhesive_road_sheet_medium_cobblestones_300mm_x_95mm/StockDetail.aspx

Cheers Phil....

They look sweet...!

Regards

Bob

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Bob.

I've been looking around for suitable paints for walls and roofs and I think you could do worse than either of the Lifecolor LC-CS10 Dust and Rust or LC-CS20 Weathered wood sets. Both contain 6 colours of which 5 would be useful for brickwork. They also do a set for grey stone which would work for the roof colours and blue bricks, this is LC-CS40. They are a bit pricey at around £16-£18 but are cheaper than Vallejo but as I say you could use 5 of the 6 colours in each set straight out of the bottle and being acrylic are water soluble and easy to clean off the brush. The plus side of using either of these sets will be that you will have the same pallet of colours for all your brickwork and stonework so you won't have to make a note of the colours you mix which is something I do and have recipe book for paint colours I use.

Regards Lez. 

• Informative/Useful 1

Evenin' All....

Hope all are well....?

Have made a few tweaks with the orientation of the (paved area) granite setts within the coal yards,,,,,mainly to align them with the tracks, this will be the final adjustment prior to gluing them down with Evostick (possibly small pins too).....then filling gaps with das clay when obtained prior to weathering and painting after the spaces for the huts and weighbridge have been fashioned......

The main coal yard is planned to be a hard 'ash' surface....paved around the weighbridge and hut.....

post-20610-0-85262000-1534453100_thumb.jpg

post-20610-0-13381200-1534453175_thumb.jpg

The granite sette entrance and the realigned private (paved area).....

post-20610-0-28629600-1534453232_thumb.jpg

post-20610-0-80506900-1534453348_thumb.jpg

Regards always....

Bob

• Like 2

Evening my dear friends, hope everyone's weekend has begun favourably.....?

On return home from a day's work at the nursery.....and whilst my tea was in the oven, undertook a few moments to further fashion the granite sette areas on the entrance, around the weighbridge and hut....this is a far as I progressed this evening, prior to 'launching' into a waldorf salad and fish cake tea!

post-20610-0-61776400-1534617966_thumb.jpg

post-20610-0-32509600-1534618100_thumb.jpg

May start looking into the construction of the weighbridge hut tonight, even being of a simple construction, I am going to familiarise myself with the pieces and method of assembly as I haven't 'thrown' a kit together in nearly 40 odd years !

Take care guys, hope your Sunday goes well too....

Regards always....

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 3

Hi.....

Just a further update on the paving......have roughly laid the edging pieces to see what the overall effect will be given when the area is glued down, 'distressed', das clay has been rubbed into the gaps, looking forward then to painting, also weathering by 'mossing/ grassing / weed cultivating' the area too...

post-20610-0-38943600-1534623536_thumb.jpg

post-20610-0-32387700-1534623578_thumb.jpg

Regards always.....

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 4

Hi....

Just an indication....intention to locate coal merchant hut and weighbridge (checker) hut side by side......

post-20610-0-31008900-1534628648_thumb.jpg

Regards always...

Bob

• Like 2

Hi....

Off topic but thought I'd share this with you my friends.....

(after a period where 'things' have been a bit 'iffy' personally)....re-acquainted myself with simple, harmless fun, this made me laugh and smile and hope it does to you also...pity we can't settle everything in a similar manner....?

Regards always...

Bob 

Evening guys.....

Having obtained some Evostick contact adhesive this lunchtime, I have placed the first two panels of the granite sett's into position and these are currently 'setting' (hopefully).....will spend the remainder of what remains of this evening 'fettling' the remaining panels, so they can be laid in sequence over the next couple of evenings.....will keep you appraised as this process continues....

Regards always....

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 2

Hi....

All appears okay with the 'sticky stuff'.....so will proceed with further setts as and when time allows.....have a few days away soon so postings will cease for a while.....going once more to the gorgeous old lighthouse ...!

Regards always.....

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 1

Hi Guys.....Two further panels currently and hopefully, adhering themselves to the 'coal yard' surface......isn't also strange how 'smells' can be evocative?

....So many memories have flooded back, having re-acquainted myself with the aroma of Evostick....!!

Yours on 'a high' as always.....

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 2

Hi Bob, I don't know if it's to late, but I just buy cheap tubes of glue, a bit like UHU from the Pound Shop, / Cheap Shop and just put a small dab in each corner, and then I can lay a whole yard in one go.

Looking very good though mate.

• Like 1

Hi....

Forgot to mention that also, in the absence of DAS clay utillsed as a 'grout', I have used a ready mixed, light all purpose filler that appears to be doing a very neat job as an alternative...will post an image of such hopefully this evening when I have laid a couple of further panels.....

Cheers guys, regards always.....

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 2

Hi....Just making steady further progress placing setts into position, the alternative grout seems to have worked okay....?

post-20610-0-14512400-1535137578_thumb.jpg

post-20610-0-71283700-1535137622_thumb.jpg

Once all are down, secure and 'grouted', I intend to give a 'wash' over the whole area to take away that plastic grey look, prior to weathering.....etc

Regards always.....

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 3

Cheers Lez.....

Have indeed completed the laying of the left section.....will grout in while the kettle is on !

post-20610-0-51209700-1535144611_thumb.jpg

Regards always,

Have a great weekend...perhaps like myself working part of it, but have a good one.....

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 2

Hi.........

All down and grouted, intend you take the 'grey off' with and overall colour wash, a light earth perhaps...?

I wasn't happy with the woodland scenics cinder mix as it was 'too black'....so it has been removed.....I have a sample of the 'Arley ash' which I intend to crush and then see how it looks, alternatively I'll use standard ballast to fill to rail height, set in position and then paint / colour appropriately...?

post-20610-0-49706500-1535230644_thumb.jpg

Regards always....

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 4

Evening guys....If you were 'off' today, (working myself) hope your Bank Holiday went well.....

I think I previously mentioned that I wasn't happy with the 'black hue' of the cinder mix that Woodland Scenics produced once it was down on the siding and removed it as we weren't 'getting along' at all....!

I only had a small amount of grey ballast remaining but have put this own as a test and I am much happier with this for the track area, but this obviously requires further tidying up and setting in the usual manner....I will also crush up the 'Arley ash' I 've scooped up from the station for the coal yard area and blend the two together with some serious 'weathering' of the grey track ballast........

I am away within the next couple of weeks for a few days, at long last able to take a break in Dorset and then odd days off visiting railways in the SW....so hope to get back into Cambrian Street on my return....

On my journey home, will take the coast route to Beer to pop into Peco's shop.....be rude not too...!

post-20610-0-40125700-1535395708_thumb.jpg

post-20610-0-35165900-1535395753_thumb.jpg

post-20610-0-57471900-1535395791_thumb.jpg

post-20610-0-58765300-1535395906_thumb.jpg

Regards always.....'speak soon' on my return.....

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 3