'Cambrian Street'

BobM

Hi...

A message to update you kind guys that before 'retiring' for the night last evening, did indeed bite the confidence bullet, by lifting and removing the first of four unnecessary trap points, inserted a replacement piece of track to fill the gap created, tested and all running smoothly....also have inserted this lifted trap point into station loco head shunt...will wire up and test this evening....

post-20610-0-33507900-1525248297.jpg

Regards always

Bob

post-20610-0-33507900-1525248297.jpg

• Like 4

Hi All....

Hope you're all okay....

An update on what has been happening.....

In conjunction with the running signalling thread....I have reinstated the station loco headshunt and an additional trap......

post-20610-0-49622000-1525297685_thumb.jpg

..... this appears not to have effected anything ( as yet)......

also there were three additional traps within the goods yard area that didn't need to be there so these have been lifted.....

post-20610-0-72495900-1525297838_thumb.jpg

the resultant gaps will be filled with sections of track within the next few days...but working carefully so as not to 'upset' anything,,,including me..!

post-20610-0-16592900-1525297983_thumb.jpg

post-20610-0-47768600-1525298043_thumb.jpg

Regards always....

Bob

• Like 4

Hi...

Have had to cut away some of the sleepers to extricate the trap by moving the joiner so will have some sleeper insertions to infill when replacing....

Regards always

Bob

• Like 1

Hi...

Just an update to say that the 'offending' trap points have all been removed and the replacement track has been insert, we are now reconnected....I never thought that I would have the courage to remove track and replace it confidently....amazingly completed quite smoothly and everything still runs too...phew!

Cheers once again guys...

Regards always

Bob

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

Hi Guys...Hope Saturday has been 'okay'....?

I am unsure whether this 'fits' in with the layout theme, but a friend has been so kind as to make / build this Metcalf engine shed for me as a present...how can not include it... and it does look very smart and he's made a superb job assembling it.....far better than I'll accomplish...

What do you think...?

post-20610-0-82744400-1525558448_thumb.jpg

post-20610-0-53081900-1525558589_thumb.jpg

Have a great Sunday (oh forgot someone of you have Monday (not me) too)..... Watch that sun..... :sungum:

Regards always,

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 3

Evening guys....

Hope all are okay....?

Have had an hour cleaning off the cork from the area, designated as the coal yard, both private (to the lower part of the image) and the town yard to the top.....

will ballast the track in preparation for fixing....

To the right it is the intention is to build a street scene....

post-20610-0-36282100-1525814214_thumb.jpg

Regards always....

Bob

• Like 4

Evening Guys......

Hope you are well...?

Only a quick update to say that a coat of sleeper grime has been placed on the town coal siding as a base colour prior to preliminary ballasting and subsequent weathering.....

also have put down the base cider mix for the private coal siding yard, to be 'fixed' then weathered....the intention is to research 'coal' yard weathering techniques but intend to make this as 'mucky' as it would be in real life....

post-20610-0-32413700-1525897342_thumb.jpg

post-20610-0-63050800-1525897425_thumb.jpg

post-20610-0-59524600-1525897496_thumb.jpg

post-20610-0-40574700-1525897560_thumb.jpg

Regards always...

Bob

• Like 4

Hi....

The intention is to have the town coal yard area a hard surface, most likely cobbled to take 'heavier' period ( 40's - 50's) vehicles with weighbridge and office......the private coal yard...having a cinder base, mostly likely lighter vehicles or horse and flat cart with small shed office only.....

Comments, suggestions and pointers for information appreciated.....

Regards always,

Bob

Evening Guys......

Hope you are well...?

Only a quick update to say that a coat of sleeper grime has been placed on the town coal siding as a base colour prior to preliminary ballasting and subsequent weathering.....

also have put down the base cider mix for the private coal siding yard, to be 'fixed' then weathered....the intention is to research 'coal' yard weathering techniques but intend to make this as 'mucky' as it would be in real life....

attachicon.gif102_1604.JPG

attachicon.gif102_1606.JPG

attachicon.gif102_1622.JPG

attachicon.gif102_1623.JPG

Regards always...

Bob

Hi....

You know when something really doesn't look right....?

Well each time I look at this I get that feeling....so as I cannot live it,  I am going to remove the mix and take another 'look' at this at a later stage....

Cheers guys have a great weekend....

Regards always...

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 1

Hi...

Have just learnt of the sad news that the Gem point control is no longer available from Terry at Lychett....?

Regards always...

Bob

Edited by BobM

Hi....

Have been informed and I understand that the point control system may still be readily available.....

Cheers guys...

Bob

Edited by BobM

Hi Lez

Hope you've had a good break and well..?

Yep have done a little further, although work and one or two other matters have slowed progress.....

Have been getting some brilliant help on the required signal requirements, positioning and even a signal box  diagram being developed...any signalling will be 'further down the line' as it were, evenings this time of year is spent mostly gardening or out for walks on the local common....or down on the SVR watering everything...!

The signalling thread is at

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/133511-help-required-with-signalling-a-layout-plan-cambrian-street/

Good to hear from you...will post updates as the layout progresses

Regards always...

Bob

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Bob.

Had a look at the signaling thread. The two theater box signals are now more complected than I first thought as they have subsidiary arms as well as a main arm but I do have a plan for them. It's just a case of doing a bit of proper engineering for them. I'll figure it all out but it's going to take a bit longer than I thought as one signal will have 4 levers and the other 8 or 9 depending on whether you want the ground signal on the post or on the ground. What are you going with square or round posts?

Regards Lez.   

• Like 1

Hi Bob.

Had a look at the signaling thread. The two theater box signals are now more complected than I first thought as they have subsidiary arms as well as a main arm but I do have a plan for them. It's just a case of doing a bit of proper engineering for them. I'll figure it all out but it's going to take a bit longer than I thought as one signal will have 4 levers and the other 8 or 9 depending on whether you want the ground signal on the post or on the ground. What are you going with square or round posts?

Regards Lez.   

Hi Lez...

Cheers for the message, there's certainly some interesting and superb signalling advice coming through and continuing to develop (behind the scenes) I am looking at round posts...there's even talk of gantries...!

Will keep you advised when settled...

Regards always..

Bob

• Like 1

Evening guys....

Apologies for the lack of postings recently, however I have been taking advantage of the better weather, lighter evening and have either been taking walks (to unwind, relax and get some exercise) after work across the local common and have also been concentrating on tidying the back garden whilst the conditions last......

That said, have this evening begun working on installing the tube in wire control for the next set of points to be operated from another 4 lever frame situated adjacent to the one already in situ...feeding and weaving the tube in wire beneath the track in a channel within the cork.....

will keep you kind folks appraised as this develops.....

post-20610-0-54298000-1526935331_thumb.jpg

post-20610-0-44680300-1526935043_thumb.jpg

post-20610-0-40680400-1526935159_thumb.jpg

Regards always....

Bob

• Like 5

Hi Guys....

Hope all are well, and all good wishes to those who have suffered from the effects of the thunderstorms over the weekend....here at 'Bobbert Towers' we 'only' had 34mm over 24hrs impressive enough but nowhere close to values in excess of that in a shorter time period, just a handful of miles away.....the noise and vista was awesome, a salient reminder as to who is boss in this world and not to become cocky or complacent in life, but that is little comfort to those beneath its power....

Here is an update of the 'plodding' building progress made on Cambrian Street recently, while some splendid help is being given on the intended signalling and simplification of the operation side of the layout, will update on that aspect when able....

Have continued to place the next three tube in wire point control....now ready for 'turning' and fixing onto the lever frame.....

No1 

Comes off the point travels beneath the adjacent points

post-20610-0-15027500-1527537057_thumb.jpg

turns 90 degrees to the next right angle

this then feeding to the lever...

post-20610-0-10002300-1527536887_thumb.jpg

No's 2/3/4

Each control wire comes off the respective 'pip's' to a 90 degree turn

post-20610-0-76033700-1527537178_thumb.jpg

run parallel with each other (which will be hidden beneath the coal yard ground)...

post-20610-0-86683900-1527537300_thumb.jpg

these will each respectively turn on a 90 degree to be attached to the lever frame....

post-20610-0-60354400-1527537390_thumb.jpg

Who'd have thought I'd be undertaking this tube in wire installation with a greater degree of confidence........ a few months ago when I was in a terrible state of hesitation....if it wasn't for good pals such as you Lez supporting and guiding me along through this process, I'd have given up long ago...!

Regards always....(keep safe guys)

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 5

Evening guys....Hope all are chipper...?

Here's an update on the latest work completed, this woven into a busy week both at the nursery, when we're 'recovering' from exhibiting at Chelsea, the usual 'spring rush', work in the garden after work in the evening and trying to unwind too...!

The tube and wire point control which now comprises of 2 x four lever frames, are with the so much appreciated help and assistance of you kind and supportive guys now controlling eight points within what will be the goods area and all appear to be working well.....(as these I believe would have all been thrown by hand, the signal box which once was planned to be sited within the area here has been dispense with)......

The goods yard as a whole will be very much a scenic 'test bed' over the next few months...prior to then moving on to the station platforms......the remaining point control wires both on the goods reception line and station throat are intended to be fed beneath the track and platform, to a series of levers close to the power controller and operators area.....but that is for way in the future for me.....

The images here show the goods yard as it is at the moment......

the tubes carrying the wire control are at present held in position by screws....it is my intention over the next few sessions to 'fix' these down with a recently purchased glue gun.......never having used one of these before, if you don't hear from me for a while, it is more than probable that I am still trying to extricate myself from the boards having firmly glued myself to the surface!

The tubes are intended to be covered by scenery, the covering allowing the cranks beneath to move freely to operate the points......a retaining wall will hide the lever frames from view as well as providing an edge to the layout.....

The tubes will be hidden beneath the intended coal yards....

post-20610-0-09647900-1527974309_thumb.jpg

A retaining wall will hide the lever frames as well as providing a integral and embedded buffer stop 

post-20610-0-15238100-1527974429_thumb.jpg

The two lever frames which now operate the eight points...

post-20610-0-91694200-1527974604_thumb.jpg

The retaining (shown here just with paper) wall will provide a scenic break along the edges of the goods yard...

post-20610-0-51628600-1527974664_thumb.jpg

post-20610-0-40770800-1527974735_thumb.jpg

Will update you on how the glue gun fixing of the tubing goes and all other related matters as they develop....that's as long as mentioned, I don't fix myself to the boards!

Cheers guys for the continued support...

Regards always,

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 4

Hi

An evening update for you good guys....

The fact that I am typing this and my fingers are not sticking to the keyboard or remain stuck to the layout boards upstairs is both fortunate and rewarding.....

I have had first experience of using the glue gun in anger to set down the tube carrying the point control wires......

I would appreciate your comments on whether I have undertaken this correctly or should I amend my techniques when moving on to further sections of wire in tube point sections of the layout...?

I have used the gun to 'blob' either side of the tube then 'skip' over to secure in sequence rather than run glue along the whole length of the tube.....is that okay or should it indeed be run along the whole length of the tube......?

I also have the intention to form a balsa wood cover to sit over the tubing to allow the cranks to move freely to operate to points, this to be covered with ballast or cinder mix, this floor allowing the cranks to move freely beneath....?

post-20610-0-17202400-1528235907_thumb.jpg

post-20610-0-64273000-1528236019_thumb.jpg

post-20610-0-20830300-1528236077_thumb.jpg

Comments please guys....

Regards always..take care...

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 2

Hi....

Just a message to say that the gluing of the of the tube control wire undertaken last evening appears to have been successful and so i have removed the screws which held to tube in place.....I have also completed the gluing of the remaining tubes....I am minded to leave some of the screws in situ for now in the non scenic  and hidden areas as belt and braces insurance.....

I am determining the correct methodology in my head prior to beginning the process of covering the cranks from view but ensuring that they freely operate......I am thinking of covering them with a piece of balsa...

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated....

Regards always 

Bob 

• Like 2

Evening Guys....Hope all are well....?

Here for your comments and perusal are the ideas for the retaining wall in 'a firmer' material.....

I have used some off cuts of Sundeala board to form the scenic break and retaining walls, these to be pinned / glued together and fixed to the base board with screw corner blocks....

Ignore the slight overhang please, this is to be removed.....

the buffer stop will be right up against or an integral part of the wall.....

post-20610-0-16809400-1528493172_thumb.jpg

post-20610-0-38210900-1528493252_thumb.jpg

The wall the runs towards the buffer stops of the sidings.....

post-20610-0-55827200-1528493303_thumb.jpg

post-20610-0-15633300-1528493729_thumb.jpg

post-20610-0-10158700-1528493360_thumb.jpg

post-20610-0-36936900-1528493466_thumb.jpg

Will update as I hopefully progress with this......would appreciate advice and comments on brick styles and methods of detailing this....?

Have a great weekend guys.....regards always

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 3

Hi Lez...

Thank you....it was through your guidance on techniques for weathering track that I am progressing (albeit slowly) on this section of the layout.....will update on the retaining walls as and when....

Hope all's well....nursery here has been busy what with Chelsea Show and usual spring / summer 'madness'....weather is a very pleasant compensation  at the moment though...!

Regards always...

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 1

Hi...

Just a message to say that I have begun the process of fixing down into position the scenic breaks along the lower sidings area and just for giving an idea of what this may look like...placed the retaining walls loosely into position....the intention is to paint and weather these as blue brick wall.....so will research this site for the weathering of blue brick....

post-20610-0-03174100-1529011753_thumb.jpg

post-20610-0-16267500-1529011791_thumb.jpg

post-20610-0-86288900-1529011834_thumb.jpg

post-20610-0-15205500-1529011872_thumb.jpg

Take care my friends.....

Regards always..

Bob

• Like 3

Hi...

Just a message to say that I have begun the process of fixing down into position the scenic breaks along the lower sidings area and just for giving an idea of what this may look like...placed the retaining walls loosely into position....the intention is to paint and weather these as blue brick wall.....so will research this site for the weathering of blue brick....

attachicon.gif102_1946.JPG

attachicon.gif102_1948.JPG

attachicon.gif102_1949.JPG

attachicon.gif102_1950.JPG

Take care my friends.....

Regards always..

Bob

Hi Bob,

Just a quick thought. Does the wall alongside the siding need to be quite so close to the track? Maybe just the photo but clearance looks a bit tight perhaps?

Mike

Edited by mikeyh
  • Like 1