Repowering Bachmans GPs

CSX2004

What's the reason for repowering, is the motor defective, or is it in a quest to improve its running ? 

Personally, unless there is a specific reason that you want to repower this loco, you could probably find a replacement on e-bay by Atlas, which will run a lot better and has better detail too?  Just a thought.

As above, why do you need to repower? Has a motor failed or do you want to improve the performance of the loco? If the former is the case contact Bachmann to get a replacement motor. If the latter is the case then if you look at the cost of a replacement motor, and the fettling you have to do to install it vs the cost of getting a much better GP38-2 in the form of an Atlas TM GP38-2 then taking the TM route is a no brainer. You may also want to consider a 2nd hand P2K GP38-2. Again massively superior to the Bachmann offering.

Chris

What's the reason for repowering, is the motor defective, or is it in a quest to improve its running ? 

Personally, unless there is a specific reason that you want to repower this loco, you could probably find a replacement on e-bay by Atlas, which will run a lot better and has better detail too?  Just a thought.

Yes, want to improve the perfomance of the loco. BTW. have 2 Atlas locos but like the Bachmann because was my first detailing job and like its paint scheme, CSX Dark Future.

I can understand the wish to re-power; I had a Bachman Geep for a while, bought it dirt cheap off Ebay, DCC Fitted, to have a play with when I first got my NCE Powercab, so I knew it 'should' work before I fitted any decoders to locos myself.

It didn't run particualrly well; the motor had an alarming 'buzz' (like when BEMF is on only much worse!) and due to the way the trucks are mounted it suffered from a wobble that would put a freight car with the loosest trucks on it to shame. Soon went back on Ebay. ;)

Yes, want to improve the perfomance of the loco. BTW. have 2 Atlas locos but like the Bachmann because was my first detailing job and like its paint scheme, CSX Dark Future.

Fair enough, I would take the critical dimensions of the monitor using a digital spanner (micrometer) and see what companies such as Mishima or Buhler have to offer. If you want a loco which will be used for switching go for a lower gearing.

Cheers

Chris

understand, I also have a bit of a weak spot for a Bluebox Athearn GP38-2 , which was also my first detailing/painting job.

Also that locomotive has received a new Mashima motor and sound decoder. To be honest, that was before I realised Atlas had a similar model, and longer before the Athearn Genesis release was available.

I can't give you any advice on what motor to fit, other than what has been suggested. Take dimensions of the current motor, and then see what Buehler, Mashima, Faulhaber (or even Athearn repowering motors) have to offer, but you will end up doing some frame modifications, perhaps even to the drive shafts etc.  

Archived