Mark's workbench - lockdown loco build (page 17)

• RMweb Premium

Yes, I meant to come back to see you later in the day, but you seemed to have a fairly constant queue of visitors at your demo.

I got the sandbox sorted last night. I've used 145 solder throughout, in hindsight I should have used something with a higher melting point to assemble the sandbox, but seem to have got away with it this time.

As for the new purchase; I got the CSB jigs and bits from High Level. Toying with the idea of split axles on the tender, decoder in there too and no pick ups on the loco. Need to figure out shorting the tender wheels though.

Yes, I meant to come back to see you later in the day, but you seemed to have a fairly constant queue of visitors at your demo.

I got the sandbox sorted last night. I've used 145 solder throughout, in hindsight I should have used something with a higher melting point to assemble the sandbox, but seem to have got away with it this time.

As for the new purchase; I got the CSB jigs and bits from High Level. Toying with the idea of split axles on the tender, decoder in there too and no pick ups on the loco. Need to figure out shorting the tender wheels though.

Hmm...  You can see my story of using shorting strips from this post onwards: http://www.scalefour.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=2506&start=250#p44126

The main problem I had was the breaking of the strips away from the tyre as I reamed them out to fit the axles.  Since then, I've tried belt and braces by adding silver paint.  I haven't yet been able to connect up the motor and see if it all works, but it is imminent :-)

It's a great idea - I just find the implementation to be tricky...

Cheers

Flymo

• RMweb Premium

Getting there now I think....

post-6677-0-85899900-1461273813_thumb.jpg

post-6677-0-70506700-1461273816_thumb.jpg

The chassis has taken a small step backwards, as I've taken the brake pulls off to access the wheels.  Reason for this is a slight wobble on one wheel on the middle axle.  I thought I could live with it, but decided not, so have a replacement lined up.

Other than that it's just handrails, lamp irons, glue the smoke box door/chimney/dome/tank filler & steps, a final clean up and some paint.  Cab needs a crew too.

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

I'm still chipping away on the finishing touches on the Special tank; about halfway through the handrails.

Naturally, thoughts are turning to my next project.  I came back from Scalefour North with two loco kits, the first of these is another London Road Models kit for a 17" Coal Engine.

post-6677-0-80317100-1461790020_thumb.jpg

Mine will look slightly different to the one on the box, as I've opted for the larger 2500 gallon tender, to represent 8088 in LMS days.  The tender is massive, almost as big as the loco!  This looks like a good opportunity to experiment with CSB suspension for both the loco and tender.

Before starting on that though, I'm preparing a trio of Slaters/POWsides wagons for a small batch build.  Being a bit lazy, I bought these ready painted and lettered.  Before doing anything else, I've given the sides and ends a blast with some Dullcote to protect the transfers.  The plan is to add some interior detail before I assemble the bodies.

post-6677-0-98079800-1461789561_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

How are you going to do the wood grain effect?

I'm thinking it will mostly be by use of paint rather than much in the way of texture; need to read up on methods, including yours, as you've achieved some excellent wood effect on the wagons in your workbench thread.

• RMweb Premium

I guess that's a reference to the fact that in 4mm scale, from normal viewing distance, you wouldn't actually see any grain?

While I agree that's true, to my eyes it doesn't translate onto a model. I think there needs to be something to suggest the plastic is wood, whether that's just done with paint or some texture. Same for the gaps between planks, which probably shouldn't be as obvious as we make them, but I think need to be there.

It you actually look at cut timber from a distance, whether it has been varnished or not, what you see is a subtile variation of tone across the surface. This is probably best depicted in 4mm by the use of washes over a ground colour.

That is exactly what I do. Though Ive had good results with anything from washes, to powders, and even drybrushimg.

• RMweb Premium

That is exactly what I do. Though Ive had good results with anything from washes, to powders, and even drybrushimg.

I follow the Martyn welch method as described in his book the art of weathering  -  blobby wet mix of tans, browns, greys and blacks to begin with..  then dry brush the timber in the same direction as the grain with all the same colours building up layers..   Then, dry brush rusts on steel work etc.  There is more to it than that if you read his book including load and loading marks or damage etc.

This process means that it will stand close or distant inspection, Given that their wagons are Slaters, I presume you will need to consider interior planks and straps before given that they are painted. 

Andy

• RMweb Premium

I follow the Martyn welch method as described in his book the art of weathering - blobby wet mix of tans, browns, greys and blacks to begin with.. then dry brush the timber in the same direction as the grain with all the same colours building up layers.. Then, dry brush rusts on steel work etc. There is more to it than that if you read his book including load and loading marks or damage etc.

This process means that it will stand close or distant inspection, Given that their wagons are Slaters, I presume you will need to consider interior planks and straps before given that they are painted.

Andy

Yes; tonight's reading list...

post-6677-0-27509300-1461959432_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Another couple of hours this evening and I'm up to this stage.

post-6677-0-74886900-1462139797_thumb.jpg

Axle guards folded up and blackened, bearings in carriers, ribs removed from the underside of the floors.

When it came to thinking about brakes I realised I have a bit of a knowledge gap. From what I can tell, these 1907 spec wagons would be braked on one side as built, although I guess that (similarly to the LNWR wagons mentioned previously) they might have received a second set at some point?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Planks scribed and some very basic representations of the internal iron work added. Pleasantly surprised to find the East Cannock one already has some interior detail, so was just the other two to do.

post-6677-0-20231000-1462262233_thumb.jpg

I assembled the bodies, then set them aside for the joints to harden.

I need to find some suitable vee hangers for these, specifically for the Gloucester type which are a very distinctive shape - any suggestions welcomed.

Lurking in the background is the "ghost van". Inspired by the efforts Chris is making to get things finished in his Pencarrow thread, I've started adding the missing vee hangers and brake levers.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Planks scribed and some very basic representations of the internal iron work added. Pleasantly surprised to find the East Cannock one already has some interior detail, so was just the other two to do.

attachicon.gif2016-05-03_08-54-03.jpg

I assembled the bodies, then set them aside for the joints to harden.

I need to find some suitable vee hangers for these, specifically for the Gloucester type which are a very distinctive shape - any suggestions welcomed.

Lurking in the background is the "ghost van". Inspired by the efforts Chris is making to get things finished in his Pencarrow thread, I've started adding the missing vee hangers and brake levers.

I think the two you have planked need internal diagonal bracing,  they are Charles Roberts wagons without exterior diagonal strapping?

Andy

• RMweb Premium

I think the two you have planked need internal diagonal bracing, they are Charles Roberts wagons without exterior diagonal strapping?

Andy

They are Gloucester rather than Charles Roberts, but I think you're correct about the diagonals. I put strapping wherever I could see bolts heads on the outside; I missed the row of bolts that run diagonally though. I'll get them added next time I'm allowed near the workbench.

When it came to thinking about brakes I realised I have a bit of a knowledge gap. From what I can tell, these 1907 spec wagons would be braked on one side as built, although I guess that (similarly to the LNWR wagons mentioned previously) they might have received a second set at some point?

The second set of brakes was usually added to wagons in the 1920s/early '30s. Older wagons (i.e. pre1907 spec) would have been at the back of the queue and many went for scrap before they could receive a second set.

Any PO coal wagons built after 1912 would have had the second set of brakes from new.

Edited by wagonman

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

After a summer of distractions then a flurry of modelling activity to get Fryers Lane ready for ExpoEM North, I'm back at the workbench, keen to get back to the projects I had started earlier in this thread. To begin with though, I thought I'd clear up a few part builts that had been hanging around for far too long.

It must be about 4 years since I started to convert a Cambrian Boplate E to the vac braked version. I've added a few of the missing bits and made a start on lettering. Looking at it closely, I can see that me standards have changed in that time, which is reassuring. Still it should fit in OK with the other BCB wagons when it joins the fleet at Wigan soon. The twin bolster is more recent and more in keeping with my current standards. It has been painted for a while, so is just having lettering and couplings added.

post-6677-0-61498300-1474525417_thumb.jpg

The twin bolster got me thinking about my bogie bolster Es, so they were next in line to be extracted from a box of unfinished projects. With a bit of luck, we might have a couple more of these available for Wigan too.

post-6677-0-54923300-1474525767_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Mmmmmm. A busy couple of weeks ahead then sir?

Do I see Mr Newitt etches in situ?

Compared to the frenzy of activity over the past month to get Fryers ready, this should be a walk in the park ;-)

The etches are indeed from Justin's excellent Rumney Models range and very nice they are too. I folded and soldered them a while ago so the work to do to finish these off is mainly sticking together of various subassemblies. That's the plan anyway...

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Predictably enough, I didn't get those Bolster Es finished in time for Wigan. However, I am still working my way through the workbench backlog.

For my most recent modelling sessions, I've turned my attention to these Penbits class 47 bogies.

post-6677-0-89270700-1476568566_thumb.jpg

I started them about 18 months ago, but didn't get beyond making up the bearing carriers and folding up the bogie subframes before getting distracted. Seeing my Bachmann 47 wobbling and rocking on its bogies on BCB recently reminded me I had these to do. This week has seen the central bolsters assembled.

Next step is to start to modify the loco ready to accept its new bogies.

• Like 1