34010 "Sidmouth" - No time like the present - Restoration

On the 24th of October 2015 recently appointed Chairman of Southern Locomotives Ltd, Simon Troy, propose plans to restore the company's fifth Bulleid Pacific, West Country class 34010 "Sidmouth", to working order and invited shareholders to show their support. Within the first fortnight alone, over £30,000 was raised. Such support being shown early on, meant that on the 15th of November the company gave the plans the green light.

SLL currently own 7 steam locos, 5 of which are Bulleid Pacifis:
WC 34010 "Sidmouth" - Rebuilt
WC 34028 "Eddystone" - Rebuilt
BoB 34053 "Sir Keith Park" - Rebuilt

BoB 34070 "Manston" - Air Smoothed

BoB 34072 "257 Squadron" - Air Smoothed
Standard Class 4MT Tank 80104
Austerity Saddle Tank No.27 "Norman"

"Sidmouth" arrived in Barry Scrapyard in 1965, and in 1982 was purchased for preservation by Mr Graeme Walton-Binns and transfered to the NYMR. Here, the inital plans to restore and run the engine fell through after it was found that the resources available were insufficient to carry out the task. After 15 years of languishing in the open at Grosmont, the engine was offered to two SLL members and moved to Sellinge, Kent where some restoration work was carried out. Given 34053's historical significance, "Sidmouth" was leapfrogged in the restoration queue.

Currently:
The Frames lie outside Norden station is reasonable codition, due to previous work carried out on them.

The Boiler is based at Bridgenorth on the SVR, and was used to aid building the Boiler Cladding for 34027 "Taw Valley".

The proposed restoration will cost £300,000, utilising many parts currently fitted to 34028, given the boiler ticket expiry on that engine has passed and it is now out of traffic. This includes the Boiler itself and the tender, albeit with a new 5,500g tank to replace the MN pattern 5,000g tank currently on the tender. As well as this, many parts will have to be made new.

SLL don't have plans currently, to construct a brand new tender solely for 34010, but instead plan to swap around three 5,500g tenders between 4 engines (34010, 34028, 34053, 34072) dependant on which members of the class are serviceable at any one time.

More information:
http://www.southern-locomotives.co.uk/News/news.html

http://www.southern-locomotives.co.uk/34010/34010_Appeal.html

Regards,

Matt

Edited by TheSoutherner

While not a fan of Southern steam I must commend this project and the team as this is not a job to be taken lightly, these are big mighty machines and required big mighty efforts

Well done SLL

Edited by 25901

I'm not sure if Sidmouth's boiler was ever used for measuring up for TV at Bridgnorth in the end (it has no e in it) and has languished in the yard since its arrival. It would be nice to see another West Country restored.

Hi,

A picture of the boiler being used as a template for Taw Valley http://www.southern-locomotives.co.uk/News/news.htmlthird set of pictures down.

Hope to see the boiler moved soon.

Chris

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I remember this being rescued from Barry, it was about the same time as Taw Valley. Obviously the two took different routes to where they are now. There was a single chimney 9f that was also saved around the same time but not sure what happened to that. I think all of them left Grosmont for restorations , Sidmouth behind the last

• RMweb Gold

I remember this being rescued from Barry, it was about the same time as Taw Valley. Obviously the two took different routes to where they are now. There was a single chimney 9f that was also saved around the same time but not sure what happened to that. I think all of them left Grosmont for restorations , Sidmouth behind the last

Single chimneyed 9f is 92134 - one of only two single chimney 9fs at Barry the other - 92085 - was cut up

92134 seems to be coming along nicely too... https://www.facebook.com/9F92134

hil

Edited by Phil Bullock

Given 34053's historical significance, "Sidmouth" was leapfrogged in the restoration queue.

I must have missed something here.  What makes 34052 mor hsitorically significant than any other rebuilt BoB?  What did it do that was special?

• RMweb Gold

I must have missed something here.  What makes 34052 mor hsitorically significant than any other rebuilt BoB?  What did it do that was special?

Historical significance is in the name

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keith_Park

And timing of the 75th anniversary of the Battle of Britain

Kind regards

Phil

• Like 1

It sounds like they are pulling Eddystone apart to fit some of its bits to Sidmouth, IMO they have too many loco's, if they hadn't got as many then 257 Squadron wouldn't have had a decade out of use before returning to the restoration workshop, right now that's coming toward the end of its rebuild and Eddystone could slot in almost straight away, with a tired, but complete set of bits it would be a much more modest restoration prospect.

Jon

Historical significance is in the name

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keith_Park

And timing of the 75th anniversary of the Battle of Britain

Kind regards

Phil

So no more historically significant than any of the rest of the class then.  Merely naming a loco after a historical event or personage doesn't make the loco itself historically significant.

From the eyes of the owners, of the 2 locos it made more sence to have a 'Battle of Britain' class loco restored in time for the 75th anniversary of the Battle of Britain, than a 'West Country'. Not solely more historically significant than any other member of the WC/BoB class, but better fitting for the occasion, and a more fitting mark of respect.

If you still find the decision disagreeable, I suggest you follow the directions provided by Phil.

Regards,
Matt

Edited by TheSoutherner

It sounds like they are pulling Eddystone apart to fit some of its bits to Sidmouth, IMO they have too many loco's, if they hadn't got as many then 257 Squadron wouldn't have had a decade out of use before returning to the restoration workshop, right now that's coming toward the end of its rebuild and Eddystone could slot in almost straight away, with a tired, but complete set of bits it would be a much more modest restoration prospect.

Jon

I believe, although don't quote me on it, it's more in the effort of saving money and time to bring 34010 back to a serviceable, revenue earning condition.

The current plan, to borrow parts from '28, will cost about £300,000 and will take 1-2 years. The alternate option to build all the necessary parts new was loosely calculated late last year, and came in at around £1,500,000, or 5 times the cost of the current plan and take 3 years at least. In my opnion, it makes more sense to take option 1 for the time being, and manufacture from new the equivilent parts borrowed from '28 later when funds are available.

In defense of the company on the subject of 34072, it's overhaul was delayed pending that the other engines entering the workshop were in for a full restoration, and not an overhaul. Given restorations cost more, and take more time and effort, it becomes easy to see how '72's place in the queue slipped backwards a considerable amount. However, now all but one (34010) have steamed in preservation, therefore they'll only be in for overhaul so the queue should shift a little faster.

I believe that was the main factor that delayed Sidmouth's restoration under the previous management. They didn't want to have to focus that amount of money and effort to bring back one engine, when the overhauls of 3 others could be completed for less than the cost of the restoration, and roughly in the same time-frame.

Regards,

Matt

• 5 years later...

Hi all,

This is from the Southern Locomotives webpage.

"The groundwork has now been prepared for both Sidmouth and Brocklebank Line at Sellindge, with these two projects moving forward together before the former is returned to Swanage. We have now acquired our own grit blasting equipment, including an almost new cabinet blaster for smaller items. By coincidence a scaffolding firm has just rented some land for storage a few yards from our area, and have offered to organise undercover accommodation for Brocklebank Line and Sidmouth's frames for us.

We will arrange the transfer of Sidmouth's frames, but we need to have moved Brocklebank Line's first as they will sit behind Sidmouth's, as the latter's will be moving off site first. It's impractible to arrange for Sidmouth's frames to arrive on the same day as Brocklebank Line is lifted, so this will be undertaken the week after the main move.

The delays to Sidmouth's restoration are frustrating but our supporters will appreciate that it's essential to have Sir Keith Park, Eddystone, Manston and 257 Squadron earning revenue to fund much of the cost of its restoration. Given the number of shareholders supporting Sidmouth, and the relatively large amount of cash they have contributed Sidmouth will come first.

Our minor moves are taking place on 21st September and the crane is booked for the 7th October for Brocklebank Line and the 19th for Sidmouth's frames."

I believe the frames of Sidmouth was delayed slightly due to our rainy season and should be there now. 

Kind regards,

Chris

• Like 3