J27 in a hurry - Now completed along with first atempt at weathering.

5XP

• RMweb Premium

On the HMRS transfer sheet for LNER wagons, there is a set of numbers which are 4" high and are correct for smokebox door number plates. I've used these on all of the locos which have needed BR smokebox door plates. Normally I make a smokebox door plate from .010" plasticard, thinned to perhaps .006" or .007" and then painted black. Once the paint is dry, then these numbers can be fixed (mine are all methfix) starting with the middle number and then working left and right. Once numbered, then the smokebox door plate is fixed to the smokebox with a layer of black paint and again left to dry.

Attached photo shows a J39 with its smokebox plate made and numbered this way.

Cheers

Mike

Thanks a lot Mike, I'll give that a go.

I've just noticed that my HMRS BR Steam transfers (Sheet 14) has some very small numbers on it that I hadnt noticed before!

Cheers,

Dave.T

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Thanks a lot Mike, I'll give that a go.

I've just noticed that my HMRS BR Steam transfers (Sheet 14) has some very small numbers on it that I hadnt noticed before!

Cheers,

Dave.T

Hi Mike,

Those minute numbers on my HMRS sheet are barely 1mm high, too small for smokebox plates, which need approx 1.6mm numbering.

Having had a rummage through my stuff I've found a (very) old sheet of Kemco waterslide transfers with just the right sizes on it.

I must have bought these when I was an impoverished youngster, and the HMRS (or PC as they were then) transfers were far too expensive.

Cheers,

Dave.

Hi Paul thanks for the pictures, did we manage to speak at all as I was so busy trying to keep the layout running due to lack of available hands I may have missed you.

The J27 disgraced itself alittle as it developed a bit of a hump while running slowly which Ive yet to look at but I think one of the coupling rods was just touching the underside of the footplate but I just didnt have time to investigate it.

Darren.

Guest Max Stafford

Looking very nice Darren. I would suggest using some Gunmetal/Humbrol64 mix drybrushed around the wheels and axleboxes, just to give that oily look to the lower parts of the loco.

That would finish her off beautifully and put the icing on the cake as it were! :)

Quality job!

Dave.

• RMweb Premium

Had a good look at this beauty on Monday before the show started. It wasn't running so couldn't comment on whether it had got the 'hump'!!!!!!!:rolleyes: However, the weathering of the bodywork was pretty convincing and looked suitably verdigris coated reflecting it's association with damp environments!

I was also quite impressed with how the back-scene had been created; clever job and very good printing. What I hadn't realised was that Rowntree was also produced 'in a hurry'. Punts my layout planning (and lack of product) over many years well into a shameful touch. :wub:

Oh yes! Neat little rake of pallet vans chaps and lovely signal.

Sincerely, Phil @ 36E

Looking very nice Darren. I would suggest using some Gunmetal/Humbrol64 mix drybrushed around the wheels and axleboxes, just to give that oily look to the lower parts of the loco.

That would finish her off beautifully and put the icing on the cake as it were! smile.gif

Quality job!

Dave.

Thanks Dave I will do what you suggest as I just didnt get time to finish the loco off properly as I just ran out of time and I did think I got a bit carried away with the airbrush when I weathered it so it does need toned done a little.

It needs a bit of a greasy look along the top of the boiler also as suggested by Mr Wealleans.

Had a good look at this beauty on Monday before the show started. It wasn't running so couldn't comment on whether it had got the 'hump'!!!!!!!rolleyes.gif However, the weathering of the bodywork was pretty convincing and looked suitably verdigris coated reflecting it's association with damp environments!

I was also quite impressed with how the back-scene had been created; clever job and very good printing. What I hadn't realised was that Rowntree was also produced 'in a hurry'. Punts my layout planning (and lack of product) over many years well into a shameful touch. wub.gif

Oh yes! Neat little rake of pallet vans chaps and lovely signal.

Sincerely, Phil @ 36E

Hi Phil, thanks, I did look out for you on the Comet stand but only ever saw Geoff in attendence, you should have made yourself known at Rowntree Halt as not only would it have been nice to meet you I also would have had you operating the layout! as we were very short on available hands on Sat & Sun.

I only finished Photoshopping the backscene two weeks before the show and it was printed while I was on holiday so I was fretting a little while away that it all went OK....

I took the pictures at the start of last year and it is now historic as most of it has been knocked down!

Im still very much a learner with Photoshop so its more of a representation than an accurate picture as I was limited in the height I could go which limited the width so its a bit short over all.

The signal was built by another club member and also fitted while I was away and I only mounted a motor on it after the show opened on Sataurday morning so it was working but needs refined with better linkage.

The layout is still very much a work in progress and still needs a fair amont of scenic work and fences to be done along with some rolling stock and few more locos to be built.

Darren.

I also have to say a big thanks to all the club members that assited over the weeks leading up to the show and during for the help as we couldnt have made happen without them.

Archived