J27 in a hurry - Now completed along with first atempt at weathering.

5XP

I know Max Stafford has already covered this one but I thought I may as well share this too as it may be of interest for anyone else contemplating one of these or any other of the Dave Alexander loco kits.

The reason for "J27 in a hurry" is due to the fact I have only started to build this a little over a week ago due to motive power shortage for a layout that will be at York in Easter and this is complicated by the fact of also helping with preparation with the layout I go on holiday to Cuba in three weeks arriving back the Thursday before Friday set up at York.ohmy.gif

I have to say Dave was most helpful with the purchase of the loco and has responded very promptly to my requests and query's and I cant recommend him or his kits enough.icon_thumbsup2.gif

I made a start on the tender first as I didn't at the time have any driving wheels for the loco and hadn't made a decision on the power plant.

I was going to use Markits wheels but as I don't have the luxury of two months to wait and cant be bothered with all the excuses about accountants and late nights I opted for Scalelinks 18mm examples instead and yes I do realise they have a couple of extra spokes but hey where talking 00 anyway.......wink.gif

I could of used Gibsons but I have an abundance of Romford axles and crankpins that need using up.

The gearbox will be Highlevel mated to a 1624 if I can squeeze it in if not I will resort to the slightly wimpy 1620.

I rushed into the build as can be expected and once again didn't give any thought to take many pictures till I was well on with it so here is the tender in the later stages of the build and now awaiting painting.

It has all gone together fairly straight forward without any major issues apart from a bit of filing where there are some deep or rasied mold lines but over all the castings are fairly clean with little flash.

I have decided due to time constraints to construct the loco and tender straight out of the box without to many embelishments other than crew,tools and coal along with a little weathering so the detail might seem a little sparse on this build but shouldn't detract from the overall look or finish of the loco.

The basic tender underframe utilising the supplied brakegear:

post-6708-126727211607_thumb.jpg

This spider looking thingy is the pick ups to the outer wheel sets on the tender which I will glue in place and trim when the chassis is painted and the wheelsets are in place hence it doesn't look to sit properly in the next picture.

post-6708-126727214983_thumb.jpg

post-6708-1267272164_thumb.jpg

I was already well on with the tender body when I started to take these pictures so here is the final stages and it now awaits painting:

post-6708-126727244324_thumb.jpg

post-6708-12672724561_thumb.jpg

post-6708-126727247084_thumb.jpg

post-6708-12672724864_thumb.jpg

post-6708-126727250089_thumb.jpg

post-6708-126727251508_thumb.jpg

Darren.

Hell, at this rate you'll be competing with "Metropolitan" for the title of "World's Quickest Kitbuild"! ohmy.gif

Nope I don't think so Horsetan as I'm talking weeks not days.......:lol:

The photos are a few days behind now as I've completed the footplate for the loco which was started earlier this week and am now preparing the boiler halves.

I will post up some pictures later as Im just putting together a four lever ground frame for the layout at present.

Darren.

Hi 5XP,

Looking good, I've built 2 of these kits now in both J26 and J27 forms, (see the J26 on the old forum) and know how well they go together and yes Dave is very helpful. I'm looking forward to my third sometime in the future!

Thanks Paul I've just had a look back through your thread and it looks like i have just about mirrored your build so far other than the gauge! but interesting and helpful all the same.

I too am going to fit a Loadhauler but mated to a 16 series flat can as I have had a few problems with the 12 series motors of recent getting hot and loosing power and generally being a little gutlass and lacking but I have to say its mostly the 1220's to be fair as the 1224's I've fitted to other locos seem to be performing OK.

I now fit the 1020 motor in place of the 1220 as its actually more powerful although smaller.

I will bring the build up to date as I've said the photos are lagging a few days behind.

The footplate has had the splashers/sandboxes soldered in place along with the cab sides and front , I did have to repair with low melt the edge along the left hand side of the footplate where it had been broken away in several places as had the rear cab floor edge.

The boiler halves didn't quite match with out removing a fair bit of material from the inside edges and tabs.

I then puddled some low melt along the join before filing and sanding round again.

A piece of scrap whitemetal was cut to fit in the gap at the front of the firebox and soldered in place.

The smokebox was then prepped and the dome and chimney fitted before soldering the lot together.

I hope to solder the boiler to footplate today along with assembling up the chassis after I've done my chores around the house......:angry:

post-6708-126735148302_thumb.jpg

post-6708-126735155308_thumb.jpg

post-6708-12673515658_thumb.jpg

post-6708-126735160419_thumb.jpg

post-6708-126735162862_thumb.jpg

post-6708-126735167505_thumb.jpg

post-6708-126735164088_thumb.jpg

post-6708-126735169709_thumb.jpg

Darren.

• RMweb Premium

Interesting to see the limited level of difference between this and a Nu-cast kit I am welding together at the moment - I wonder if Dave will sell the etched tender coal rails?

Thanks Max.

Well I just didn't get enough time at it yesterday due to other things that needed doing but I did manage to get the boiler soldered onto the footplate and most of the cab detailing done.

Oh and I finished that pesky lever frame mentioned earlier that is intended for the same layout..... I think Id rather build a Falcon Brass loco kit any day.:lol:

post-6708-126742908267_thumb.jpg

post-6708-126742904695_thumb.jpg

post-6708-126742906078_thumb.jpg

Darren.

Interesting to see the limited level of difference between this and a Nu-cast kit I am welding together at the moment - I wonder if Dave will sell the etched tender coal rails?

I did look at buying the NuCast kit a few years ago from a trader at the Harrogate Exhibition but unfortunately he was rather rude and abrupt so I walked away.

In hindsight I should have just paid for it and walked off and not taken offence so easily as the price was right and I would not have to rush this build!

I'm sure Dave would oblige if he has spares, email him and ask as he is quite helpful.

Darren.

Hi Darren,

I'm at York this year with Thurston. Which layout are you bringing? I shall look forward to seeing this there.

Hi J its the EBOR club layout Rowntree Halt.

I've only come into it quite late in the game as the layout was started about a decade ago before I even moved to the UK! but I've re done all the electrics adding Tortoises in place of wire in tube and made a new control panel for it you may remember seeing it on the old forum : Control panel

Im looking forward to seeing both you and Thurston there.

regards,

Darren.

Well not a startling amount of progress was made tonight but I did manage to make up the bare chassis without much drama but will need to fill the redundant screw holes on each side as it has etched fold up chassis spacers included in the kit now.

A little material was removed from the base of the smokebox and rear splasher/sandbox for wheel clearance.

I'm hoping to have it far enough ahead this weekend for priming.

There wont be any updates for a couple of days as I'm off to the club in York to work on the Layout tomorrow night.

post-6708-126747863832_thumb.jpg

Darren.

• RMweb Gold
I finished that pesky lever frame mentioned earlier that is intended for the same layout.....

Hi Darren, I have this odd feeling that I've asked this before, but what is the origin of that amazing ground frame you've shown us, please?

Hi Darren, I have this odd feeling that I've asked this before, but what is the origin of that amazing ground frame you've shown us, please?

Hi CK its an MSE kit (ref LS009) of a Saxby & Farmer 4 lever ground unit.

It proved a bit fiddly for its size but definitely not impossible to build.

Darren.

• RMweb Gold

Hi CK its an MSE kit (ref LS009) of a Saxby & Farmer 4 lever ground unit.

It proved a bit fiddly for its size but definitely not impossible to build.

Darren.

Thanks for that, Darren, I can feel a need for a GF or two coming on, that frame looks Midland-ish, might be suitable for interior of MR signalbox.... ;)

hi darren like the look of the j27 even if it needed the boiler fettling up a bit .

the nucast kit i built of one of these was a bit oval boiler i seem to recall .

hope to see you before cuba or are you there michael

if your stuck i have a BR J27 ?blink.gif

hi darren heres a photo iv e taken of the Nu Cast Jpost-6710-126799193757_thumb.jpg27 i built quite so time ago hope this loads up and il send one of chassis with a expliation of how i fitted a branchlines double reduction gaerbox in it with a mashima ?biggrin.gif

So as you may notice it has goal posts for Hornby type couplings but that could be modified . Heres a shot of the chassis with that Branchlines multibox driving the middle axle and it runs a treat . By the way its numbered as a local malton engine so it could quit conceverably by at rowntrees halt.cool.gif

post-6710-126799227886_thumb.jpg

Hi Michael, thanks for the offer of the J27 that's much appreciated.

I've asked the question so I will get back to you over the next couple of days about the loco offer but the only problem is that the all the locos are early crest for the layout.

I primed the loco and tender yesterday and airbrushed it today so I'm now waiting for the paint to harden before handling it and applying transfers.

Here is the loco as of Friday:

post-6708-126799289267_thumb.jpg

post-6708-126799291147_thumb.jpg

Darren.

hi darren kit looks good. i see that you have used the w/metal buffers suplied with the kit as youve maskoled them for painting. I replaced the ones one the nu-cast kit for cavendish ones with springs as i find the w/metal ones damage easily . this kit sould be ready in around the world in forty days i think Michael.rolleyes.gif these look a nice kit from d alexander i fancy one myself there a good model of a very good and numerous engine from my neck of the woods and a good starter kit for anyone wanting to kit build a first attempt i hope you agree

Very nice , makes my old Nucast version look very basic.

Are all the parts as fitted standard with kit or have you added any parts? Any idea how much Alexander are selling them for at the moment.?

thanks

Mick

hi darren kit looks good. i see that you have used the w/metal buffers suplied with the kit as youve maskoled them for painting. I replaced the ones one the nu-cast kit for cavendish ones with springs as i find the w/metal ones damage easily . this kit sould be ready in around the world in forty days i think Michael.rolleyes.gif these look a nice kit from d alexander i fancy one myself there a good model of a very good and numerous engine from my neck of the woods and a good starter kit for anyone wanting to kit build a first attempt i hope you agree

Hi Michael, yes I could have and probably should have but as time is limited I have just rattled the loco together straight out of the box hence the use of the whitemetal buffers supplied.

It really is a very good kit to assemble as the castings are very clean and it all fits together fine, I probably made more fuss of the boiler halves than necessary as I am a bit of a fussy b*tch really but honestly it hasnt given me any bother at all.

Dave supplies alternative buffers, chimneys, domes and smokeboxes as well as the parts (cab front, cab roof, safety valves etc) to build it as a J26 too which I think is a nice touch.

I would definitely recommend it as an introduction to whitemetal kit locos as it is just basic enough to get on with without getting into trouble.

Very nice , makes my old Nucast version look very basic.

Are all the parts as fitted standard with kit or have you added any parts? Any idea how much Alexander are selling them for at the moment.?

thanks

Mick

Thanks Mick very kind of you, I've just looked back through my chequebook and I paid £86.00 which was the price of the kit plus a bit of postage I seem to recall.

I have just built it out of the box as mentioned above but I have made up the reverser rod and support against the firebox from scrap as I think the etched example supplied is to fat and the sander actuating gear is just wire and handrails filed and chopped about other than that I've just used Mainly Trains lamp irons.

I should have really done something with the tender brake rigging as it is rather well feed, maybe I will sort that at a later date when I have more time.

Here it is as of tonight just before the transfers and smokebox plates are about to be fitted before weathering it a little.

post-6708-126808528187_thumb.jpg

other than that I've just used Mainly Trains lamp irons.

Thanks for mentioning the Mainly Trains lamp irons 5XP. I was looking for some for my Q7 and knew that I had seen some but had a blank as to where (even though I had bought cab detailing etches etc from Mainly trains for it :blink: ) so made my own from brass bar but I dont think they are good as the etched ones. The kit looks excellent to say that you have built it straight from the box, light years ahead of the DJH Q7

• RMweb Premium

Hi Michael, yes I could have and probably should have but as time is limited I have just rattled the loco together straight out of the box hence the use of the whitemetal buffers supplied.

It really is a very good kit to assemble as the castings are very clean and it all fits together fine, I probably made more fuss of the boiler halves than necessary as I am a bit of a fussy b*tch really but honestly it hasnt given me any bother at all.

Dave supplies alternative buffers, chimneys, domes and smokeboxes as well as the parts (cab front, cab roof, safety valves etc) to build it as a J26 too which I think is a nice touch.

I would definitely recommend it as an introduction to whitemetal kit locos as it is just basic enough to get on with without getting into trouble.

Thanks Mick very kind of you, I've just looked back through my chequebook and I paid £86.00 which was the price of the kit plus a bit of postage I seem to recall.

I have just built it out of the box as mentioned above but I have made up the reverser rod and support against the firebox from scrap as I think the etched example supplied is to fat and the sander actuating gear is just wire and handrails filed and chopped about other than that I've just used Mainly Trains lamp irons.

I should have really done something with the tender brake rigging as it is rather well feed, maybe I will sort that at a later date when I have more time.

Here it is as of tonight just before the transfers and smokebox plates are about to be fitted before weathering it a little.

post-6708-126808528187_thumb.jpg

You have convinced me that I should go ahead and get a 27 from Dave. I've been procrastinating about it for too long now. Love the reverser by the way; is this from the kit or a modified version of your own?

Looking forward to seeing it complete by the weekend!

Sincerely, 36E

Thanks for mentioning the Mainly Trains lamp irons 5XP. I was looking for some for my Q7 and knew that I had seen some but had a blank as to where (even though I had bought cab detailing etches etc from Mainly trains for it blink.gif ) so made my own from brass bar but I dont think they are good as the etched ones. The kit looks excellent to say that you have built it straight from the box, light years ahead of the DJH Q7

Thanks Rob, I too did use to make em up out of scrap etch but although I know its cheating the MT lamp irons just save a lot of arsing about along with being of little cost.

I have to agree although the castings are always clean and crisp some of the DJH 4mm stuff is getting long in the tooth with the garbage chassis they still supply with obsolete motor cut outs along with other trivial mistakes in the designs but they still cover a few gaps in the RTR market and you can substitute the chassis with Comet examples in some cases to improve things.

You have convinced me that I should go ahead and get a 27 from Dave. I've been procrastinating about it for too long now. Love the reverser by the way; is this from the kit or a modified version of your own?

Looking forward to seeing it complete by the weekend!

Sincerely, 36E

Thanks Mallard the reverser is just scrap etch as the supplied example is a little to well fed.

Go on buy one or two.... you know you want to! They really are a nice little kit.

I too would love to see it finished this weekend as its the last one I have before I go on holiday!ohmy.gif

But alas Ive had a busy week and railway modelling hasnt been easy to fit into it all and Ive only just managed to finish the loco chassis adding the brakegear and pick ups last night.

I hope to assemble the chassis and gearbox up tonight and test run it before weathering it over the weekend.

Ill add some pictures later tonight when I have some progress worth showing.

Darren.

Archived