Extruded Foam/Polystyrene

Hi Everyone

It seems to me that Extruded Foam/Polystyrene has suddenly become very difficult to get hold off.

Last time I used it, I simply walked into my local B&Q

It says on Jewson's website that they stock it but it needs to be ordered in packs of 12! I need it for my switching layout not insulating the whole of my loft

Does anyone know where it can be picked up in small quantities and at a reasonable price?

Thanks 

Matt

Edited by matt999

I spotted the foil covered stuff in various thicknesses at my local hardware/bits of all sorts of interesting stuff place the other day. Presumably builder's leftovers or seconds. No idea what make it was, as I saw it in my mirror as I was driving out. It was outside without cover in the Welsh weather, so I don't know if it would still be usable. But similar places may be a source of small quantities, if you can find them.

I'd be interested to know if being left out in the rain makes it unsuitable for our uses.

I bought some about 3 months ago from jewsons

Its called recticel,comes in all sizes & thicknesses

They sell it by the sheet,not in bulk.

Cheers

Doesn't this stuff have the silver foil on both sides?

Did you peel that off ?

Thanks

Matt

Yeah it comes with the foil on both sides.but peels off really easily in one go.

I used it to form the landscape on my layout,it cuts very easily and doesnt make as much mess as the white polystrene,i'll never use that horrible stuff again!

Cheers

Ben

The foil backed stuff is very soft in comparison with the pink or blue boards that don't have it. When it is cut it tends to twist, as it does when the foil is removed. Its ok for scenery, but I would avoid it for any board structure.

The pink sheets that B&Q used to stock in packs of 4 (I think) are, on the other hand,  excellent for use as a board structure.

John

I spotted the foil covered stuff in various thicknesses at my local hardware/bits of all sorts of interesting stuff place the other day. Presumably builder's leftovers or seconds. No idea what make it was, as I saw it in my mirror as I was driving out. It was outside without cover in the Welsh weather, so I don't know if it would still be usable. But similar places may be a source of small quantities, if you can find them.

I'd be interested to know if being left out in the rain makes it unsuitable for our uses.

I've had a couple of sheets of it stored outside for about three years, and I can't see any deterioration in it. I first used the stuff about thirty years ago, building an insulated enclosure within a much bigger building- I think we used broken machine-saw blades, with an edge ground on them, to cut it.

The subject of extruded foam comes up often here. Basically, the yellow stuff with the foil backing is useless for baseboards apart from forming non-structural scenery. The pink Knaupf boards that B&Q some times stock is moulded and not extruded, it's softer and more crumbly than the true extruded foam sheet. If you are wanting foam for making structural baseboards it has to be the proper extruded blue foam.

If you are only after a 1/2 of a full sheet (600 by 1200) then http://modelshop.co.uk/Shop/Raw-Materials/Styrofoam/Item/Styrofoam-blue-LB-X/ITM4933 has what you need for around £23. Expensive, but cheaper than a full pack.

The main reason its no longer easy to get is that it isn't regarded as a home diy material. I bit the bullet and plumped for a full pack several years ago and still have 2 sheets left over. They will provide the structure for 4 more fre-mo module frames.  

Depends on what youre using the extruded polysterene for?

If its for baseboards,like previously been said,dont use the jewsons recticel stuff.

If its for scenery? Then youre laughing,its good stuff.

Cheers

Ben

• RMweb Gold

I was talking about both sides. It does warp without the foil to support it (the foil is holding the foam in compression, which you can see when peeling off one side only by the way the warp goes). It's not a huge amount but if you have track laid on it, it's very noticeable. Give it a year and you'll see.

• 5 years later...
On 20/11/2015 at 19:48, ben pez said:

D2438460-A756-44BD-BA71-95835F0F9949_zps

All the scenery here was built using the recticel.

Of course if your planning on using it for baseboards,ignore this!

What did you use to stick the boards together -

I have taken the plunge and got three sheets of the Recticel from a local B&Q

Thanks

Peter

My baseboards are a triple layer of 50mm blue foam which I bought about 10 years ago. It was delivered on a lorry in a huge pack. the baseboards rest on a mixture of tables and staging and are immensely strong. I used the recommended glue but can't remember what it is called except to say the glue should not dissolve plastic. 

I also use long brass screws, up to 10cm, not self tapping, which hold surprisingly well. Smear the thread with some Copydex and it sticks like the proverbial to the blanket. Good luck if you want to remove the screw :)

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, teaky said:

Really?  That's the one with solvent in it.  Isn't that a problem?

That was meant to be the solvent free one , I attempted to take the picture from their solvent free page..  I have used pva when I ran out, but it takes forever to set.

The baseboards I make, are a 3inch layer of extruded foam or reticle, then another layer which may be cut into to provide below track levels, then layers above as required for hill sides. Board edges are then cut from  5mm ply to match the level of the foam all round. Wooden 1*1inch wooden inserts for the corners, the ply is then glued on with screws for the corners.

As is mentioned above long screws with glue are very permanent when required.

I then cap the landscape with J cloths soaked in a mix of pva water and pollyfilla.

Very light very stuff boards

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 1