Portable or battery power to a small shunting plank

nse47

Hi guys

I have recently moved to a new small house and the only potential place for a layout would be a small shunting plank in the shed which I would be perfectly happy with. However I've mentioned the idea of running power out to the shed but Mrs NSE47 isn't keen. Are there any portable options anyone can think of that would be enough to power a small shunting plank...it would most likely be DCC operated. I'm thinking some kind of rechargable battery?

Any help or ideas would be much appreciated.

Paul

12v Leisure battery and an inverter?  Examples   http://www.halfords.com/camping-leisure/caravan-motorhomes/caravan-parts/halfords-leisure-battery-115-ah    http://www.screwfix.com/p/ring-ah-power-inverter-12v/91869  or lower output inverter..  http://www.screwfix.com/p/ring-ah-power-source-inverter-single-socket-12v/51612

Note: the battery is a Leisure type not a car battery.

Edit to add...  Using the larger inverter would allow you to additionally have some lighting in the shed.  Consider using a LED tube (fluorescent style) strip light.. http://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-switch-start-led-batten-1-x-19w-1930lm-4ft/1167g#product_additional_details_container or the 5 foot version...  http://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-switch-start-led-batten-1-x-23w-2680lm-5ft/1957g#product_additional_details_container

Screwfix and Halfords are used in the above examples, but there are other suppliers.  Toolstation has a 1KW invertor with twin sockets on the 240volt side for £100ish  http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p54219?table=no

• RMweb Gold

The battery option is perfectly viable. I know of a club exhibition layout that use to run this way. Could last all day on one charge so your shunting plank won't overload it.

The inverter also opens up the possibility of powering some lighting in the garage.

Why no power in the shed? Even an extension lead carefully routed if the shed is reasonably close to the house. Think how often you use mains electricity:- light, heat,music/radio, phone charging, soldering iron etc, other than just the layout. If you go down the battery road you have to remember to carry it back into the house at the end of every session and leave it on charge somewhere. Not convenient at all.

I accidentally got the ability to use "portable power" by buying an "emergency starter pack" from Halfords, to carry in an ancient Land Rover that I used to have.

It has 12v battery, with built-in charger, and jump-start leads, but also includes a 12V DC power socket, an inverter and 240V mains socket, and a small fluorescent lamp. It would be ideal for most "small layout" needs, and I keep it with that in mind, and in case of domestic power cuts.

As it so happens, it was rubbish as an "emergency starter pack" for my purposes, because the Ah capacity of the battery is too small to start a big, old-fashioned, Diesel engine, except in high summer ........ But, that's my fault, for buying what was on special offer, without checking its rating, and being in too much of a hurry to stop and think "Hey, I can carry this easily in one hand, whereas the battery on my truck is as heavy as three anvils!".

K

Why no power in the shed? Even an extension lead carefully routed if the shed is reasonably close to the house. Think how often you use mains electricity:- light, heat,music/radio, phone charging, soldering iron etc, other than just the layout. If you go down the battery road you have to remember to carry it back into the house at the end of every session and leave it on charge somewhere. Not convenient at all.

The shed is at the far end of the garden and even with a long extension lead you would need to leave a house door or window open which isn't really practical all year round.

Thanks for the info so far guys, what would I need to recharge a leisure battery?

This package has the lot built-in, similar to, but not exactly the same, as the one I bought:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004ITAF72/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=569136327&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00DGSCEUC&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=0GPRXSX5456VZND886VC

In short,you could just buy this, charge it up, using the built-in charger, lug it down the garden, plug-in, and play trains.

If you want illumination, make sure you choose LED lamps to run from it, ideally 12V ones, to make best use of the energy. Don't even think about using it to run a heater, because they "eat" electricity ....... Wear three thermal vests.

K

The shed is at the far end of the garden and even with a long extension lead you would need to leave a house door or window open which isn't really practical all year round.Thanks for the info so far guys, what would I need to recharge a leisure battery?

A car type battery charger. Leisure Batteries are often sealed and need no maintenance. Example charger... http://www.halfords.com/motoring/bulbs-blades-batteries/car-battery-chargers/halfords-fully-automatic-battery-charger

Edit to add link to sealed battery example.. http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/p/accessories-car-batteries/car-batteries/other-batteries/leisure-batteries/?444776111&0&cc5_990&gclid=CJaC7bbMqckCFeVf2wodvykFOQ

A small unheated shed is hardly the place for a layout, unless it is the hidden sidings for a garden line.   Suggestion 1 Garden layout.  Suggestion 2 radio control with on board battery power.

Suggestion 3, use DC with simple diode based voltage regulated controllers such as the old Playcraft/ Jouef unit.

Warning, Mains voltage can kill but 12volt Leisure batteries have the amps to start fires and no overload cut out.  So make sure you have a circuit breaker in circuit.  Car flasher units will do at a pinch.

Seriously I would use the garden, some people say you can't use them in the rain but I put on an anorak and baseball hat and it works for me, both mains powered DC and on board batteries, the raindrops are a bit overscale but you can't have everything,

A small unheated shed is hardly the place for a layout, unless it is the hidden sidings for a garden line.   Suggestion 1 Garden layout.  Suggestion 2 radio control with on board battery power.

Suggestion 3, use DC with simple diode based voltage regulated controllers such as the old Playcraft/ Jouef unit.

Warning, Mains voltage can kill but 12volt Leisure batteries have the amps to start fires and no overload cut out.  So make sure you have a circuit breaker in circuit.  Car flasher units will do at a pinch.

Seriously I would use the garden, some people say you can't use them in the rain but I put on an anorak and baseball hat and it works for me, both mains powered DC and on board batteries, the raindrops are a bit overscale but you can't have everything,

Suggestion 1 is my favourite, just got to try and talk the other half in to it....I'll just have to invest in something for her too. We have a wall on one side of the garden next to the path which would be good for running trains on and potentially then in to the shed....it's a bit of an incline but then will be a challenge or need some good strong loco's....might have to deploy a pair of Class 50's :)

The other thought that struck me when thinking about this was: might it be better to build a very portable layout, which could be stored in the shed, but carried indoors for operation? That way, you could probably wear fewer thermal vests.

However, damp and extremes of temperature are problematic, even in the most wind and rain-proof of sheds, so you would have to take precautions like sealing/varnishing all the woodwork, and avoiding cardboard buildings; with a bit of care a layout could be built to withstand shed-conditions, but it would need a bit of care.

On the garden railway thing ....... Well ...... They have their advantages, and if they fit-in with your lifestyle, can be huge fun, but I find that, as a person with a long working day and much-increased family commitments, my garden railway has become effectively moribund, because the only "train playing time" I get is when it is pitch dark, raining, below 5 degrees, and after about 2100hrs.

As a gift for "the other half", I suggest a copy of "The Buckingham Branch" by Rev Peter Denny, because in it he relates in some detail how his wife tolerated him erecting model railways all over their tiny initial marital home, including in the bedroom, spanning the bed! I find the whole description hilarious, but when I read it out to SWMBO, she just looked at me, and slowly raised one eyebrow, very threateningly.

Kevin

The other thought that struck me when thinking about this was: might it be better to build a very portable layout, which could be stored in the shed, but carried indoors for operation? That way, you could probably wear fewer thermal vests.

However, damp and extremes of temperature are problematic, even in the most wind and rain-proof of sheds, so you would have to take precautions like sealing/varnishing all the woodwork, and avoiding cardboard buildings; with a bit of care a layout could be built to withstand shed-conditions, but it would need a bit of care.

On the garden railway thing ....... Well ...... They have their advantages, and if they fit-in with your lifestyle, can be huge fun, but I find that, as a person with a long working day and much-increased family commitments, my garden railway has become effectively moribund, because the only "train playing time" I get is when it is pitch dark, raining, below 5 degrees, and after about 2100hrs.

As a gift for "the other half", I suggest a copy of "The Buckingham Branch" by Rev Peter Denny, because in it he relates in some detail how his wife tolerated him erecting model railways all over their tiny initial marital home, including in the bedroom, spanning the bed! I find the whole description hilarious, but when I read it out to SWMBO, she just looked at me, and slowly raised one eyebrow, very threateningly.

Kevin

I like the portable idea, that have more legs. I know the feeling with the train playing time, it almost certainly wouldn't coincide with suitable times to be out in the shed.

I think I would very much get the same reaction from my SWMBO :) I will have a look out for the book though, sounds a good read.

Archived