EMU sidings. help required.

Dan Griffin

I have installed three EMU/DMU carriage sidings on my layout. my question is, would they have been undercover in a shed? of the three roads the middle on has

an inspection pit, long enough for a 4 car 4cep to fit over. is it prototypical to have this out in the open or would they be covered over? any pictures or real locations would be great. thanks

Being familiar with Streatham Hill, Selhurst, Stewarts Lane etc over the years, there's no issue having carriage sidings with or without raised walkways exposed to the elements. If you introduce an inspection pit or any kind of maintenance facility, I'm unaware of any that weren't covered. Certainly happy to pe proven wrong though!

...but I have to say that being in Slade Green running shed (open at both ends) inspection pits in January was almost the same as being outside !

Streatham Hill was (is?) similar. Open the door at one end and everything except the trains fell over. On building a carriage shed, they accidentally created a wind tunnel.

Archived