BOC tankers

I have read of people doing conversions of the Hornby tanks to the BOC tanks, but I have nit been able to find anything online about any bodies accounts of doing such.

I have found so far is-

Drawings in the rail express, issue 104, nov 2004 (although which diagram is it?)

BR diagrams on the barrowmore site, but only for the 013a and b versions.

Does anybody do the GPS/mk4 bogies they were fitted with?

For the trains that ran to Sheffield, how long were they?

Does anybody do transfers?

How does the Hornby tanker scale in length to the prototype?

So, if anybody has any further info that may help, or has done one they could share, please let us know.

• 3 weeks later...

After a quick Flickr dive Broughton Lane- Ditton BOC tanks were a ten tank train (nice bit of alliteration!) with two barriers, this worked through Sheffield Midland and on over the Woodhead (changed traction at Tinsley I believe for 76s over the Woodhead, not sure after closure) I have seen pictures of through workings with a class 40/ 25 in multiple over the Woodhead tho so it was occasionally diesel throughout before closure (it was obviously after!)

If you have a peek in at http://www.emgauge70s.co.uk/there are a myriad of chemical tanks in the Projects tab also worth looking through the archived updates too.

Paul Bartlett's site has some images of the tanks as well (I think I've seen them on there?!) and if you're on Flickr search for 'deadmans handle' as a user for an ex-guide bridge guard who (obviously!) booked most of the Woodhead jobs including some turns to Ditton(Wirral) or another north west BOC terminal for a train that worked via the Woodhead (this was the Broughton Lane-Ditton sorry for being dense!)

In terms of modelling, I'm not sure myself how the Hornby tanks measure up or as to the bogie question, although a New Years project is a TEA conversion into the Liquid Nitrogen bogie tanks so I'll follow this in the hopes that you get some replies !

I will do some more investigating, someone MUST have made some!

(Most of the brackets are digs at myself for dense and errant postings, sorry if this is a little muddled and hard to read it's the medication I'm taking! ;)

All the best

Jonny.

(Edit for typos)

Ok a little more research done, so the bogies appear as standard for the TEA bogie tanks, I'm not sure if these are the ones you're modelling but I'll persist, so any from a Bachmann TEA or a Hornby murco tanker should be aesthetically correct, not sure if these might be available as spares from somewhere? The Gloucester bogies seem to be later versions than the ones available through Cambrian kits...

Hornby did used to produce a BOC liveried TEA in the distant past, but it was just painted as BOC without the discharge equipment (these tankers being compatible with road transporters so were fitted with side access to discharge points)

So I'll be investing in some plasticard and TEAs then.

Likewise I can't find any evidence of conversions to the type, unless anyone else can help..

All the best

Jonny

Ok a little more research done, so the bogies appear as standard for the TEA bogie tanks, I'm not sure if these are the ones you're modelling but I'll persist, so any from a Bachmann TEA or a Hornby murco tanker should be aesthetically correct, not sure if these might be available as spares from somewhere? The Gloucester bogies seem to be later versions than the ones available through Cambrian kits...

Hornby did used to produce a BOC liveried TEA in the distant past, but it was just painted as BOC without the discharge equipment (these tankers being compatible with road transporters so were fitted with side access to discharge points)

So I'll be investing in some plasticard and TEAs then.

Likewise I can't find any evidence of conversions to the type, unless anyone else can help..

All the best

Jonny

The Hornby bogies are a travesty; they used some that were used for the Canadian coaches in the old Triang Transcontinental range, and bear no resemblance to those on the prototype, except in possessing four wheels. The Cambrian ones are of a shorter wheelbase, lighter-construction type, to be found under bogie bolsters and ballast wagons. The ones on the Bachmann TEA look all right to me, and those on the Lima one aren't too bad. Otherwise, S-Kits do a range of bogies as cast whitemetal kits. The ones you're looking for are Gloucester Mk 3, I think.

Though there weren't any conversions, as far as I'm aware, it would seem that some wagons were re-bogied using a later, and very different looking, type of Gloucester bogie:_

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/boctank/h3b39928b#h3b39928b

This may be available from S-kits.

I've made one, there's pictures of it somewhere around here!

From memory, used an old Hornby tank as the base and some Wild Boar Models bogies which are fairly close but need the brake wheel removing. Tank body was removed from chassis, all fixings removed from tank, holes filled with milliput then tank rubbed smooth. Chassis had its middle chopped out, ends refitted to tank, new central span made from plastruct and plasticard sheet. Painted white with red stripe, home made transfers added.

That's about it, wouldn't want to do more than one!

Archived