PEPPERCORN CLASS A1 CURLEW 60122 IS HERE.

DonnyRailMan

• RMweb Gold

Yes this is the my Hornby version of Class A1 Curlew 60122 I contacted the lads at T.M.C. to see if they could

help me out they said yes and here she is. Many thanks to all the lads .

And a very nice job they have made of it; she looks a treat.

John

• RMweb Gold

I have often wondered about the Hornby A1. Bachmann A1's look the part,true, but performance and haulage capacity are a bit hit and miss.Some are ok but some are exactly the opposite. I'm sure we'd be interested to learn from you how you get on with your new TMC conversion which really does look splendid.Well done you...and TMC of course.

• RMweb Premium

My little lad has a Hornby A1 that came in his train set last Christmas, Bon Accord in blue. Whilst it is clearly compromised and lacks the fine detail of the Bachmann model and features a more basic finish it looks a lot better than I expected it would. The running gear is pretty fine, the shape looks convincing to me and whilst the finish is basic it is nicely applied and well finished. Best of all it is a lovely runner, very smooth and quiet. The biggest failing is the lack of cab glazing, but for those on a budget it is a nice model. I think these newly tooled railroad models fill a nice niche in the hobby by providing a more affordable alternative to full spec models, yes they are compromised and lack the sort of features we'd expect of a full price model but they strike a nice balance between detail and cost I think.

• RMweb Premium

I have often wondered about the Hornby A1. Bachmann A1's look the part,true, but performance and haulage capacity are a bit hit and miss.Some are ok but some are exactly the opposite. I'm sure we'd be interested to learn from you how you get on with your new TMC conversion which really does look splendid.Well done you...and TMC of course.

Doesn't the Hornby A1 have a tender which is unique to the new build replica Tornado, though (and possibly other features as well)?

• RMweb Premium

Actually I was thinking of the way the tender top is plated over behind the coal space on 'Tornado's' tender (and on the Hornby model of it) flush with the top of the sides, and the filler is positioned further forward compared with the 'real' A1s - this wasn't obvious from the pictures of your model (hence my question mark), but have since found pictures of the Hornby 'Tornado' which show this is the case.  And the roller bearing axle boxes for the tender and pony truck axles - I realise some A1s had these but not many.

• 1 month later...

Hi Ian,

Well my Hornby Peppercorn Class A1 60122 CURLEW finally completed her running in programme the other day 45 minutes in each direction

at  steady pace. Then after that I gradually went all the way through from start slow to full steam she goes like a steam dream. 

I later fitted a rake of 10 coaches behind to see how she would set of having some weight behind her never a problem pulled

away fine . The 3 screw pole motor in this Hornby A1 R 3245TTS is a lot better than the rubbish Hornby fitted in P2 C.O.C.K

O THE NORTH. 

Ian, Assuming you are pulling on the level I can't help but wonder if something might be amiss with your Bachmann A1.  All my Bachmann pacific including my A! will pull 11 Bachmann Mk1 coaches as is without any trouble at all.  Judiciously add a bit of weight an 13 is possible.  

• RMweb Gold

Ian, Assuming you are pulling on the level I can't help but wonder if something might be amiss with your Bachmann A1.  All my Bachmann pacific including my A! will pull 11 Bachmann Mk1 coaches as is without any trouble at all.  Judiciously add a bit of weight an 13 is possible.

How many A1's are you talking about ? Some Bachmann A1's are better than others,I grant you.Weight is one fix and attention to the drawbar between loco and tender to improve adhesion another.I have a layout with sections of shallow curvature,some reverse curves and a slight incline.....all of which challenges haulage capacity,admittedly. Never in a month of blue moons would I contemplate stringing 13 Bachmann Mark 1's behind any of my locos.It would look completely out of proportion anyway and be far too challenging even for the more robust examples....the best of which is a FIA Trains 10000 made by AJIN and equipped with a Canon motor.That is awesomely powerful.

For my layout,8 is plenty...but that's just me ! Good luck...at least yours will be prototypically correct for the ECML in the 50's and 60's.

Hi Donnyrailman ,I do like the look of your renamed peppercorn A1,but as it is a TTS model does it judder at low speeds ,I've got one of these and a few others and they all perform the same and there is loads of posts all over the net from people saying the same ,if yours did judder but adjusted cv,s to iron out the judder could you let me know how you did it ,also I am useing NCE powercab ,,,,,,thanks martin

I think I am one of the lucky ones it dose not have this problem. But I have the Hornby P2 that did it though .

I took my P2 to my local model shop and they tweaked the firmwear and that did the job it now runs smooth as silk.

Hope this is of some help to you Martin  

Normally I run trains of 9 coaches. I did experiment with 10 but it did not look right even though it met the rule of 1/3.  Whilst experimenting I added extra coaches and weight just to see what they would pull and that when I arrived at the numbers quoted.  My minimum radius is 34" but most curves are 40" and my track is nominally level.  One point I will make, most of my coaches pull through the chassis.  I say this because years ago on another forum a Gentleman did some calculations and he suggested that mounting the couplings on the frame as opposed to the bogie reduced the load on the loco by about 17%.  This is logical if one looks at the sidewards loading associated with pulling through the bogie and the problem gets much worse as the curve radius decreases.  FYI, I have 2 A1s and 1 A2

Archived