Control Panel Enclosure Box

Pete 75C

I need to make up a demountable control panel to incorporate a mimic diagram and I've been looking at ABS plastic enclosure boxes (like the one below). The idea is that the control panel can be positioned either at the front of the layout or "reversed" and positioned at the rear of the layout. By fitting 25 pin connectors on the side of the box, the control panel can be operated reversed to keep the track plan in sync with whatever the operator sees, no matter which side he's on.

Best size for these boxes that I've found is approx. 220mm x 180mm and that isn't quite big enough... I'm planning to get the mimic diagram and associated text printed onto A4 vinyl which means I need a bigger box! I could resize the print but I think A4 is a decent size.

Question is...

Does anyone know of a source of these project boxes in a larger size? A quick check of Maplin and ebay etc, and the ones I've found just aren't big enough.

Last resort if I can't find a ready-made ABS case would be to build up a plywood or MDF box and top it with a 300 x 250mm 1.5mm aluminium sheet and then overlay the vinyl.

Thanks, Pete.

post-17811-0-91385400-1448877176_thumb.jpg

Be warned, a good quality, large control panel will cost you!

Ouch... looks like a moulded ABS box in the size I need will require a mortgage!

Thanks for the info so far folks, but if I can't find a plastic box for, say, <£20, it may have to be the home-made option!

One of these perhaps?  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/220x218x76MM-Project-Enclosure-Box-Case-with-Removable-Top-Side-Lid-Panel-K25-/131573260353?var=&hash=item1ea260a041:m:mZzhJWIDoo4G3_1RQAEm_1w  Though may not fit in with your size requirements?  Other than a ready made one I always make my own panels.

Don't forget that if you swap the panel from front to rear of the layout the mimic track plan on it will become reversed too.

Have a look at 'Really Useful Boxes' available from Staples or Hobbycraft (no connection) plenty of flattish sizes available. I've seen them in use on several layouts. Top clips on easily and is easy to remove to get at things.

Well worth a look

John

Don't forget that if you swap the panel from front to rear of the layout the mimic track plan on it will become reversed too.

That's why I want the connecting cables to be side-entry into the control panel. I can then mount the panel "upside down" so the track plan is right way up. Hope that makes sense.

If you can beg, borrow, or steal a router you can make a frame from wood. Router to the profile shown. Top groove is wide enough to take 6mm MDF plus plastic sheet of your choice, with layout picture sandwiched between. Bottom groove takes 6mm MDF. Mitre the corners of the frame and leave one end easily removable. You can then slide top or bottom out to modify the internals or change/update layout plan etc.post-15258-0-37511800-1448891362.jpg

Thanks for your help guys.

I just cannot seem to find an enclosure box the size I need for the money I want to spend (tight, I know...) so I have decided to make my own.

Planning to create a 69x19mm PSE box with a ply base and a white coated 1.5mm aluminium top, approx A4 size. A printer near me prints full colour onto white vinyl, so I'll draw up the track plan and get it printed approx A4 size. This will overlay the aluminium top. The depth should be ample, and I'll machine cutouts into one side of the box for the 25-pin connectors.

The layout's now fully wired, all that's missing is the control panel, so I best get cracking.

Pete.

Thanks for your help guys.

I just cannot seem to find an enclosure box the size I need for the money I want to spend (tight, I know...) so I have decided to make my own.

Planning to create a 69x19mm PSE box with a ply base and a white coated 1.5mm aluminium top, approx A4 size. A printer near me prints full colour onto white vinyl, so I'll draw up the track plan and get it printed approx A4 size. This will overlay the aluminium top. The depth should be ample, and I'll machine cutouts into one side of the box for the 25-pin connectors.

The layout's now fully wired, all that's missing is the control panel, so I best get cracking.

Pete.

Why not link two ABS boxes together to form one larger enclosure. Matching holes in opposite sides will allow wires to be connected through and a single sheet of aluminium spanning both lids will allow you to put an A4 mimic diagram. If the sides of the boxes are slightly tapered for removal from a mould then fasten the bases of both boxes alongside each other on a piece of ply.

Richard

Archived