The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Question of Morality.

BOARD OF TRADE

I've just received a letter from a Company advising me that I have quite a few shares in a well known Commercial Insurer/Pension Company that are unclaimed.

The letter is obviously genuine and giving it some thought the shares probably relate to a Pension that I took out and didn't keep up when I changed jobs but had quite forgotten about(although I periodically receive letters from a differently named Pension Company about surrender values etc. which I have hitherto ignored).

Now I've decided to write to the Pension Company to confirm the situation and if confirmed I may decide to cash tham in.

The moral question is should I do this myself,which I am perfectly capable of,and keep all of the proceeds.or use the Company who brought this to my specifically and pay them the 15% fee.

I am under no obligation to do so but in fairness they have identified and brought to my attention my entitlement,which I might otherwise have overlooked?

Guest Max Stafford

My own thoughts are that it's your money that you invested. The company are probably only doing what they are legally obliged to do. I wouldn't lose any sleep over claiming what is rightfully yours.

Dave.

You are doing the work of reclaiming yourself therefore no fee.

If you were using the company to do the work then you would expect to pay them - depending on the amount of money involved I think 15% sounds excessive. If you didn't want to do the paperwork and the sum involved was significant then I'd hire a competent accountant to do the donkey work.

I'm afraid morals are not part of my money equation - as long as it is legal, and your money you do not owe anyone anything.

as far as "discovering" you had it in the first place .... well it is nice to have so much money that you can loose track of it ;)

Archived