English Electric Spondon No. 1 & No. 2 Electric Locomotive

• RMweb Premium

I'm planning to build a battery loco in 7mm scale similar to EE788, the Stafford works loco. The drawing in #6 is helpful but prints out at around 6mm/ft.

I've worked out the sloping bonnets were the same size on most of  the BE and electric locos, but the BE ones had taller cabs as there was no panto on top. 

Before I scratchbuild I make a cardboard dummy first to check the sizes,  proportions and windows are OK,  usually I make adjustments from this. Here is the dummy,  the bonnets are slightly narrow on the footplate, the cab will be the same width and the end windows will be larger.

I just need some chunky axleguards from Kettering next weekend,  2 gearsets from Ultrascale, and ready to go.

post-14654-0-13685700-1456572286_thumb.jpg

For comparison here is the WD one which ran in Bedfordshire & later worked at the Ind Coope brewery in Burton,  this had larger end windows than 788. This came from the Industrial Railway Society. 

post-14654-0-20120100-1456572443.jpg

Dava

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Looks good Dave! If you are going to be at Kettering come and say hello - Tim and I will be manning the 7mmNGA stand and a friendly face will be very welcome!

I certainly will, Neil!

Dava

• 2 weeks later...

Spent some time in the Science Museum in Manchester on Saturday measuring the English Electric battery loco. It is the same type as the Spondon locos but was built in 1944.It was originally at Upper Boat Power Station in South Wales and then went to Back O'th Barn Power Station in Bolton.

The loco was originally fitted with a pantograph, but this was removed at Bolton.In 2014 it was fitted with a new set of batteries.

The measurements are:

Lenght over buffers : 16' 5"

Lenght over body : 13' 5"

Width o

ver body : 6' 9 3/4"

Lenght of cab : 4' 5 1/2"

Width of cab doorway : 1' 6 5/8"

Wheelbase : 7'

Wheel diameter : 2' 9

Height : 10' 7"

Solebar depth. : 1'

Width over bufferbeam : 7' 3 1/4"

I have posted some pictures on Flickr, if you search for: EE/Bg 1378/3217 they should come up.

• 1 year later...

Thanks John, just following back up on this - great info!

This, along with all my projects is on th back burner at the moment since moving to Guyana for work. So, sorry for everyone that was/is waiting for some news on this.

Will get cracking in adobe now and see what we can come up with.

James

Edited by Down_Under
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I built my version of the English Electric Battery loco last year, here seen on delivery to Coxheath Sidings...

post-14654-0-63827900-1492340535_thumb.jpg

post-14654-0-22985800-1492340563_thumb.jpg

Dava

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Finally remembered to grab a couple of photos of Spondon No.2 at Foxfield, didn't have time to get any more detailed ones but if you want some let me know what and I'll get them next time I have opportunity.

post-8705-0-73622900-1493126133.jpg

post-8705-0-02745100-1493126138.jpg

Hope these are of use.

• Like 5

• 2 months later...