The oscillating coupler issue...

M Graff

Hey all!

This narrow gauge in HOn3 can be a bit tricky at times...

I have tested some of my locomotives and cars on the layout I bought last spring.

Then I experienced one thing that annoyed me. Greatly!

:(

When running the coaches at speed they oscillate longitudinally.

Not good....

This is because of the Kadee couplers construction ( # 714).

They spring in the longitudinal direction, which makes it look very unrealistic.

How do you solve this?

Well, yes!

You bite the bullet and order a numerous amount of Sergent Sharon couplers!!

( 72 of them.... and all the extras).

http://www.sergentengineering.com

These very scale like couplers solves both the oscillating issue and the ugly uncouplers that the Kadees have.

Sure, the Sergent Sharons come in kit form, but I'll probably make it work....

I have ordered assembly jigs for them too, as it should make things a bit easier.

They was not much more expensive than Kadee, so that alone speaks for Sergent.

Wish me patience!

:D

Hey all!

This narrow gauge in HOn3 can be a bit tricky at times...

I have tested some of my locomotives and cars on the layout I bought last spring.

Then I experienced one thing that annoyed me. Greatly!

:(

When running the coaches at speed they oscillate longitudinally.

Not good....

This is because of the Kadee couplers construction ( # 714).

They spring in the longitudinal direction, which makes it look very unrealistic.

How do you solve this?

Well, yes!

You bite the bullet and order a numerous amount of Sergent Sharon couplers!!

( 72 of them.... and all the extras).

http://www.sergentengineering.com

These very scale like couplers solves both the oscillating issue and the ugly uncouplers that the Kadees have.

Sure, the Sergent Sharons come in kit form, but I'll probably make it work....

I have ordered assembly jigs for them too, as it should make things a bit easier.

They was not much more expensive than Kadee, so that alone speaks for Sergent.

Wish me patience!

:D

Those do look very detailed, under the 'compatible shank' I can recognise very reasonable representations for standard buckeye (type E) HST buckeyes (type lower shelf E) and tightlock (type SF) It will be good to know how you get on!

The Sergent couplers do look nice. But you could have solved the bounce problem with just the installation of a small spring at the end of one axle. It's how most US N scale modelers have done so, for many years.

I used the N scale couplers from Micro Trains for my HOn30 rolling stock, they had a better scale appearance (this was before the Sergent's were available).

Not sure if they still do, but MT used to include the spring in the packages.

Jim F

The Sergent couplers do look nice. But you could have solved the bounce problem with just the installation of a small spring at the end of one axle. It's how most US N scale modelers have done so, for many years.

Not sure if they still do, but MT used to include the spring in the packages.

Jim F

I don't see how that would work?

You mean by braking the wheel? I have electric pickups on my passenger coaches, and they have the same problem.

• 2 months later...

The answer is simple Micro trains do a spring that you insert in between the pinpoint of the axle and the bogie cup that stops the ocsilation

Not so easy, as my brass cars have wheels that can't be removed from the trucks.

I have been a Pro Custom Painter here in the USA since 1983, and have painted many Hon3 On3 Sn3 passenger Cars and if you gently twist the trucks the wheels will come out.

Check out my Webpage below.

I wouldn't even like to try it on a couple of my passenger cars as the brake rigging might break off if I twist the trucks.

The trucks are very delicate, and I didn't want to disturb them too much.... Thanks to the Sergent couplers, it made all such operations very obsolete.

The regular brass trucks (without brake beams or other rigging) are a whole other matter, those have been dismantled before when painting.

Nice website and work!

:)

By the way, I have installed Sergents on all my locomotives and rolling stock now.

A VERY big plus is that I didn't have to install Sergents on the pilots on some of my brass locomotives.

They can be extremely difficult to modify....

The Sergent couplers only need one of the couplers to open to work, and they couple perfectly to the scale coupler!

I have three brass Precision scale ballast hoppers that has the scale couplers as well, and it was a great relief to not have to replace the couplers.

:)

Archived