The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Am I the only non PC/Mac user?

M Graff

The question arised as, on another Forum, the embedded YouTube clips stopped working for me (they use Flash instead of HTML5...)

They do work here though....

I guess RMWEB is HTML5 compatible?

I use the latest ASUS Android tablet with all the bells and whistles, and haven't really used a PC for anything else than programming my Loksound decoders since 2012....

Even though the sales of tablets and mobile units exceeded PC sales since a year back, I got called an exception....

Am I that?

How many here uses a mobile device instead of a PC?

Cheers!

I use a Chromebook, but it's still a sort-of PC, just a very lightweight one.

I use my old Windows laptop for syncing my MP3 player, and that's it. Everything else I do online.

• RMweb Gold

iPad mini in use here for much of the day, although I am currently using the PC. I have a 5k Retina Mac upstairs waiting to be fully brought into play. I have on occasions tried RMweb on my Galaxy S5 mini, but it's pretty limiting.

I too have an ASUS but the issue relates to the browser installed and website designers limitations of visitors

This is further complicated by forum (modular) software designers

Even with IE 11 I have to customise each forum so that certain features work

As an example in vBulletin I have to use the older themes

However, no issues viewing videos once Flash was installed (not installed by default)

Equally, my previous Toshiba laptop (2009 to 2015) was working perfectly until websites started reporting my browser was out of date and then earlier this year I was not even able to use some websites

Upgrading at cost and being forced to do so...

On the plus side I took the oppoertunity to ditch my Lenz Set 100 and purchase a second laptop for use with SPROG and JMRI

I have been using my Samsung tab 2 pad tethered via my iphone 4 to get net access for the last year or so. I can only use it when my other half is at home as she uses my iphone at the moment when she is working. I also have some problems accessing some youtube clips sometimes.

• RMweb Premium

I bought an Android tablet last year as my old cluster of PDP 11s was a pain to park and the psychotic episodes brought on by watching youtube in ascii graphics were becoming burdensome. New technology is fairly soulless though, don't you think? It certainly doesn't smell as nice.

• RMweb Gold

Since getting a cheap Android tablet a year ago I rarely use my PCs or Macs for Internet browsing. The tablet died (battery problems)but I have purchased a better one. I did connect to RMWeb once using a Raspberry PI.

Archived