Counter feit Modelrailroad products

torikoos

Because Rapido says it's okay to pass this on:

Please be aware that I have from good sources that a lot of the Big Dawg Originals (owned by Bruce and Jeannie Gavins from WA state) products are rip off of several manufacturers , I have no proof, but below should be a warning to all that potentially want to deal with this guy. It is un ethical, and downright wrong, so please be your own judge and use discretion, and do the right thing.

Koos

From Rapido Trains Inc.
Gentlemen,

These guys - Big Dawg - have stolen our intellectual property by modifying our F40PH-2D shell and recasting it and selling it. We've made inquiries and the legal cost of going after Big Dawg is probably ten times their annual sales, so we're going to ignore them for now.

However, if you buy these illegal goods, STOP CALLING US FOR HELP.

We will not give you paint formulas. We will not sell you chassis. We will not send you detail parts. We will not help you complete your Big Dawg model that was ripped off from the Rapido model. You know, the Rapido model that took us years of hard work to develop and cost us hundreds of thousands of dollars.

If you decide to buy the Big Dawg shell rather than wait for the Rapido rebuilt F40PH-2D currently in development, then you are ON YOUR OWN. We will NOT HELP YOU.

Please feel free to pass this message on.

-Jason

__._,_.___
Posted by: jshron@rapidotrains.com

I don't understand how a model that has not even been developed could have gotten into the hands of someone else to make a mould from it? What has been missed out of the story? 

Rapido have made an F40PH-2D, then Big Dawg's mysterious master maker has taken said shell and then modified it into a rebuilt F40PH-2D. Have to say, having seen enough of Rapidos products and the photos of Big Dawgs, I rather wait for a Rapido rebuilt F40PH-2D then use the big dawg model...

• RMweb Premium

The accusation is that they've taken the Rapido shell, added the hep rear part from a part available on shapeways which has been designed by someone else and are casting shells from it.

They are also selling shells which they've cast from masters which they've bashed from other manufacturers products, as well as cabs which apparently come from a variety of sources including shapeways.

I found them on eBay after searching for a kaslo C44-9 Canadian cab, bought one before reading the furore about them on a few us forums and pages!!

Thankfully the Kaslo site has been relaunched in the last few days so I'll be using them in future.

Archived