LMS Fowler 4P tank - appropriate rolling stock for 1927-1935

GraemeR BR (WR)

I researched my LMS Stanier 4P for the later 1930's period, and found descriptions and photos of them with non-corridor stock, often four coach rakes. I'm struggling to find many photos or references for the 1927-35 for the earlier Fowler locos.

The stunning 2311 Hornby version from 2003/04 was based in reality in West Yorkshire - I've tracked it to Huddersfield by the beginning of 1948. What would this loco have been typically pulling in the 1927-35 period? Can I get away with the rake of clerestory coaches, or would these have been broken up and be mixed up amongst other types by this point?

I'm also coming across references to parcels traffic. What vans/coaches would have been typical for them in LMS days?

Many thanks for any assistance with this - any book's I can try to get hold of?

• 4 weeks later...

ex MR clerstorey coaches survived through much of the 1930's, so yes you can have them.  They will have thinned out a bit though, so they would have been on secondary services and the earlier stock (eg the square panelled stock) will have gone by the mid 1930s.

Depending where you are basing this, there would have still been a fair few pre-grouping coaches - be this ex MR or ex L&Y.  So too would there have been non-corridor or corridor LMS period 1 & 2 stock.  The LMS also cascaded a lot of pretty good pre-grouping main line corridor stock about very early as they embarked on a big coach building programme quite early on.  So you may well find LNWR corridor stock and L&Y/MR.

You will want to find Comet Coaches, Ratio, London Road Models & 51L; between them you will get plenty of options.  It would all be fully lined though; but they do look beautiful for it.

On the non-passenger side, lots is the simple answer.  pre-grouping stock will have survived a bit longer and will have made up the bulk of things until at least the early 1930s.

The LMS Coaches by David Jenkinson is a good place to start for the post grouping stuff and the Pendragon Historic Carriage Drawings gives a nice overview of LMS (inc pregrouping companies) - Vol 2 and Non Passenger Stock (all companies) - Vol 3.

Links to amazon here (there may be cheaper options, shop around):

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Illustrated-History-LMS-Coaches-1923/dp/B002DIKBDS/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1452037845&sr=1-1&keywords=lms+coaches

(NB, there is a much cheaper copy of this on ebay)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Historic-Carriage-Drawings-Vol-Non-Passenger/dp/1899816097

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Historic-Carriage-Drawings-Volume-Two/dp/1899816062/ref=pd_sim_14_1?ie=UTF8&dpID=51SnDWyyJ0L&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR120%2C160_&refRID=0JXR080T472V0XPY0N90

If you are looking for ready to run coaches? The Dapol LMS 57' non corridor coaches would probably do. They call them Stanier coaches but I believe they are of an earlier design. They may also not be up to the standard you are looking for, so may need to do some detailing work on them. :)

• RMweb Gold

It's a loco that you could pair with just about any LMS or constituent companies' stock. Apart from suburban traffic and regional traffic already mentioned, they could be seen on short trains (portions) of main line stock, so the Bachmann period 1 stock would be very suitable. And also used for empty coach stock moves at the major termini.

Archived