A working from Knowsley Freight Terminal to Wilton FLT on Real Time Trains

Powerhaul 70 Pey

I have noticed a working on Real Time Trains that seems to be a new working.  It's Knowsley Freight Terminal to Wilton FLT on Real Time Trains. Well, I've never noticed it before anyway!  I heard that Liverpool's waste is apparently going to somewhere on Teeside to be incinerated and that the train would originate from Knowsley Rail Freight Terminal which is not far from Veolias Gillmoss waste transfer station.  Does anyone have any further information on this?  Is this the "binliner train" or is it a general intermodal train?  

The working was showing yesterday but never ran and is showing today but never ran (see link for todays working)

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/search/advanced/ORR/2015/12/16/0000-2359?stp=WVS&show=freight&order=wtt

• Like 1

Thanks very much for that information.  I have also found a link and it looks like SITA will run the site at the rail terminal.  Is it Freightliner that have the contract to move the binliners from Knowsley?  I know they currently do the Manchester binliners  from the 3 Viridor sites.  Lots of new freight flows heading your way Russ.  I am looking forward to this one myself as the train will go through Upholland, Pemberton, Orrell and then onto Wigan Wallgate.  These stations don't get any freight other than MPV's as far as I am aware.  I will have to get down to these locations with the camera when it finally starts!

http://www.sita.co.uk/news-and-views/our-plans/knowsley

• Like 1

The drivers and diagrams are already in place ready for this service. Been told they were looking at putting class 60s on it. It's due to be a few trains a week from January rising to the 2 trains a day, 6 days a week from around May when the plant at Wilton is fully online

It would have to be via Wigan Wallgate as they cant path over the tracks west of Kirkby.

RTT has the route, why would it go via Bolton?

Been a long time since a new trip working has come along.

I assumed that once it was at Wallgate coming from Pemberton then the shortest route over the pennines would be Bolton Man Vic etc. As it is its going via Warrington and Stockport to get to Rochdale

Regards,

John P

I don't know anything about routes and paths but there must be some logic behind why it goes down the WCML instead of across from wigan to Manchester. I don't know how accurate RTT is in terms of weights but the loaded train is 2000 tonnes. Lynx stated in his post it could be class 60 hauled. Do the DBS crews already have route knowledge to and from the two sites or is there to be route training runs first?

From there going out to Wigan then up to Hartford jn to Stockport then a reverse at Rochdale would be to avoid Manchester.

Surprised about the 60s, they have a lower speed limit on that route due to the route availability, or should I say the loco weight at certain places...

As to route knowledge of crews who knows, I would doubt they have anything current unless they have already done it, there hasnt been any trip workings along that line in many a long year as far as I know, Some engineering trains yeah but trip workings no.

From there going out to Wigan then up to Hartford jn to Stockport then a reverse at Rochdale would be to avoid Manchester.

Surprised about the 60s, they have a lower speed limit on that route due to the route availability, or should I say the loco weight at certain places...

As to route knowledge of crews who knows, I would doubt they have anything current unless they have already done it, there hasnt been any trip workings along that line in many a long year as far as I know, Some engineering trains yeah but trip workings no.

The 60 probably has the advantage because of its extra 'grunt'; hauling 2000t vice 1800t would make all the difference to the viability, as you'd use fewer crew and locos.

The trains are timed for 60mph so a 60 would be fine but also as stated the extra grunt would be highly useful when climbing over the Pennines. Route knowledge isn't an issue with HM lads currently working trains to Warrington and Pemberton. Man Vic to Bolton and via Stockport are also on their cards so they can go either way over the Pennines. Drivers are in place for when it starts with others currently or planned to learn.

Edited by Lynx

• 3 weeks later...

This is the route learner that has ran a few times this week in preperation for the waste train starting.  Wakefield Kirkgate to Wigan Wallgate Station.

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/search/advanced/WGW/2016/01/08/0600-2000?stp=WVS&show=freight&order=wtt

There's some photos on flickr with 67008 loco being used for the training pictured at Wigan Wallgate station.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Has sthis started r

Ghost update - the service hasn't started yet

Has this started running? I'm confused because I found the service on REALTIME TRAINS (fab site by the way!) went down to Rainford to photograph it a couple of weeks back and was told by the signalman on duty there that it does not start running until June!  (was planned for March)

Can anyone clarify? Is it running already occasional;y then as driver training?   

Thanks very much for that information.  I have also found a link and it looks like SITA will run the site at the rail terminal.  Is it Freightliner that have the contract to move the binliners from Knowsley?  I know they currently do the Manchester binliners  from the 3 Viridor sites.  Lots of new freight flows heading your way Russ.  I am looking forward to this one myself as the train will go through Upholland, Pemberton, Orrell and then onto Wigan Wallgate.  These stations don't get any freight other than MPV's as far as I am aware.  I will have to get down to these locations with the camera when it finally starts!

http://www.sita.co.uk/news-and-views/our-plans/knowsley

What's an MPV?

Has sthis started r

Has this started running? I'm confused because I found the service on REALTIME TRAINS (fab site by the way!) went down to Rainford to photograph it a couple of weeks back and was told by the signalman on duty there that it does not start running until June!  (was planned for March)

Can anyone clarify? Is it running already occasional;y then as driver training?   

What's an MPV?

MPV- 'Multi-Purpose Vehicle'. Basically two flar wagons with engines and driving cabs; depending on the season and the job, they can carry water-jetting modules (to remove autumn leaves from the rails), de-icing equipment, weed-killing spraying equipment, and other modules for things like recovering materials from the trackside. There are dedicated ones with working platforms and cable drums for catenary work as well.

MPV- 'Multi-Purpose Vehicle'. Basically two flar wagons with engines and driving cabs; depending on the season and the job, they can carry water-jetting modules (to remove autumn leaves from the rails), de-icing equipment, weed-killing spraying equipment, and other modules for things like recovering materials from the trackside. There are dedicated ones with working platforms and cable drums for catenary work as well.

Ah right. I think I saw such a thing at Birkdale recently. Cheers