Mr Grumpy’s Workbench: MOK 9F occasional updates

Mr Grumpy

The wheels and plunger pick ups arrived today andI Couldn't resist temporarily putting the wheels on the chassis. It rolls along beautifully. Hope that continues after I fit the con rods!

post-19951-0-13322100-1459432998_thumb.jpeg

post-19951-0-46283900-1459433019_thumb.jpeg

Hopefully the chassis will be complete by the weekend.

• Like 4

The chassis looks to be sitting nice and level, these MOK kits are second to none.

Still you have had a result with the Slaters wheels, usually the rust is already present. At least Mr White doesn't charge extra for that although he would if he could.

All the best,

Martyn.

• Like 1

I'm not clear how the compensation works on this chassis. I presume, to give proper three-point suspension, the rear axle has a centre rocking pivot?

Dave.

Hi Dave check out post 284... all is revealed!

Yes, the rear axle rocks in a cradle. The chassis really is exquisite! And virtually idiot proof. Dry runs are easy, although I should have done this with the rear stretcher.. but thankfully no harm done!

Hi Dave check out post 284... all is revealed!

Yes, the rear axle rocks in a cradle. The chassis really is exquisite! And virtually idiot proof. Dry runs are easy, although I should have done this with the rear stretcher.. but thankfully no harm done!

Oh, right. I thought that must be something to do with the drive gearbox!

• RMweb Gold

No interest in the 14xx, but there's an instant emotional response to those etched sheets. I'm becoming a sucker for complicated etched challenges. I'll cheer you on from a safe distance...

It's no good wanting a 9f unless you build a rake of MMP 16 tonner's to go with it though....

Edited by markjj

• RMweb Gold

It's no good wanting a 9f unless you build a rake of MMP 16 tonner's to go with it though....

Life's not long enough, especially at my age, and I have no interest in O gauge at all, I really haven't, no honestly nothing at all,,,,,,

NURSE!!!!

Mike.

• RMweb Gold

Life's not long enough, especially at my age, and I have no interest in O gauge at all, I really haven't, no honestly nothing at all,,,,,,

NURSE!!!!

Mike.

How can you not be interested in 0-gauge.... you need sectioning not a nurse lol.....
  • Like 1

I deliberated over making the horn block keeper plates removable. In the end I soldered them in as once the chassis springs are fitted, I couldn't see a way of removing them.

However, I have soldered 14ba nuts to the rear of the brake shoe hangers and inserted a screw so that the brake linkage and shoes can be removed along with the wheels for painting. 

I have also got the slide bars in (Thanks Mark!) and the centre steps fitted. I found I had two identical front sand boxes sent by mistake, so will get those fitted soon. I'm hoping to have the con rods made up  along with the life guards tomorrow.

post-19951-0-97113700-1459704739_thumb.jpeg

post-19951-0-72810700-1459704772_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

I'm hoping to add a driver and fireman.

Please could anyone let me know the best models avaliable?

I did tentatively think of having a 3D resin casing of my self driving, but thought a square blue chap with a hat wouldn't look prototypical :-)

Best drivers? Well, there's Modelu who will 3D print some excellent figures scanned from real life. and...you can even get yourself scanned and 3D printed in a scale of your choice.

I couldn't afford the quantity of resin needed :-)

I don't have a great deal of progress to report, as I have had a bit of a self inflicted war with the coupling rods.

Problems began when a countersunk 6 ba allen slot screw refused to budge from holding a wheel in place. Unfortunately, the allen key slot rounded, resorting to drilling the offending screw out.

Slaters did replace it for me a couple of days later.

The 12 ba crankpin screws were 'cheese head' and fouled the chassis, so I drilled in to the rear of the wheel and sunk them in. Possibly during this exercise, I may have inadvertently caused the screws to not sit at right angles to the wheel faces :-(

Anyhow, this took a lot of faffing, decrying kit building forever, threatening to go RTR 00 etc. etc. Poor Mark JJ got the brunt of this, and Mr Dog Star also advised. During a conversation with David Sharp, he advised to open the con rods a tiny amount, and every thing put together has worked! The chassis is incredibly free running now, so I can cheer up and should have the brake gear, etc on soon.

post-19951-0-65657600-1459958820_thumb.jpeg

post-19951-0-53196000-1459958844_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Mr Grumpy
  • Like 8

I do not know if you have one but when drilling out for the crank pins , etc, I think a pillar drill is a must it keeps everything from drifting out of true.

Martyn.

Thanks Martyn,

I have been busy selling a fair bit of stock so the pillar drill is next on the agenda :-)

• Like 1

....there's Modelu who will 3D print some excellent figures scanned from real life. and...you can even get yourself scanned and 3D printed in a scale of your choice. 

I did wonder if they could scan a horse and rider, but think that would work out a bit extravagant!!