Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Mr Grumpy’s Workbench: MOK 9F occasional updates

Mr Grumpy

After browsing Paul Bartlett's excellent site, I have come to a reasonable conclusion that the LMS and LNER used the wedge type fastener, and the GWR and SR used a bolt on the end of a screw thread on the truss rods. I'm sure there will be examples where this isn't the case, but from the photos, this would appear to be the norm.

So, I may try to replicate the wedge for my LMS wagons, and use the nuts on the GWR variety.

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brmilktanks

I forgot to mention....after filling the joints on the tanks, I used the redundant sun shields with wet and dry glued inside to ensure the tanks stayed round. Each shield has progressively finer paper from 400-2500 grit.

post-19951-0-53702400-1515884077_thumb.jpg

post-19951-0-53054800-1515884116_thumb.jpg

Edit: since taking the photos, each shield has the grit grade written on :-)

Edited by Mr Grumpy
  • Like 1

post-19951-0-01582100-1516131076_thumb.jpg

Just a quick update. I find the barrels too shiny, so I have used Humbrol Matt cote varnish to tone one down. Here they are side by side, and I feel the matt version looks more realistic.

I have used the first wagon to try out some ideas, which I may or may not carry forward to the next wagons. I soldered the tie rods in to the central support for extra strength, but it makes fitting the barrel straps very difficult, so I won't be repeating. Also, I tried different types of glue to fix parts such as axle boxes, pipes, buffers, decking and barrel supports. I'm not a lover of glue as I'm very impatient, so I guess the super glue probably wins on that score. Also the impact adhesive wasn't successful on axle boxes and barrel supports.

• Like 3

Once you have applied the matt finish will you still be able to apply lettering? Other posts on the RMW University seem to imply that it is best to work with a gloss surface?

Tim T

Hi Tim,

All my tankers have etched name plates that are attached to the barrels. In BR days, the barrels were generally plain steel colour, generally hidden underneath layers of sour milk and grime. I will add gloss patches to the solebars for the wagon numbering details.

The next two LMS chassis have already had a hard life...

Both have been re-built following a drowning in Mekpak and also had the indignity of being left behind at a lodge following a couple of days away.

I thought I would post this photo to show the etched W irons and sprung hornblocks. They really are neat and work well. Also easier to make up than the original ones of a few years back.

post-19951-0-33570100-1516565277_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

The tank fittings are reasonable lost wax castings. The truss rod anchors need drilling out to 1.1mm and the barrel strap fixings to 0.8mm.

The Proxxon pillar drill is very precise and perfect for these tasks, even if my method of holding the parts is questionable:-)

post-19951-0-42202400-1517322406_thumb.jpeg

post-19951-0-02746500-1517322443_thumb.jpeg

• Like 3

Progress is slowing as I’m in need of transfers for the solebars which don’t appear to be readily available in the quantity I want, so I’m waiting to see if what I need can be made for me. Also, I want to see if I can make some covers that were added later (not the early sun shields) and add to two or three wagons.

The second wagon has four of the beefier supports that were used on later batches. I’m not sure if these were also replaced by the later six supports.

post-19951-0-08048300-1517516001_thumb.jpeg

• Like 3

While waiting for my transfers to be made, I thought I would experiment with some 4thou brass sheet to produce the outer cover that was present on many tankers. The photo below is of a former GWR wagon. I played around cutting segments out to make the sheets look individually applied, and also scored the wrapper to see if that looked realistic. Here’s the result with a separate section to the left and the rest scored on.

post-19951-0-58396400-1517838581_thumb.jpeg

post-19951-0-73979400-1517838561_thumb.jpeg

• Like 5

The second of three LMS tankers is complete, but will get a fine frame dirt covering to tie everything in once the transfers have arrived.

I personally prefer the barrels with the later steel sheet covering the strapping. I made life difficult for myself by soldering the straps and anchors. This means the length of the straps must be spot on prior to fixing.

post-19951-0-60842700-1518651993_thumb.jpeg

post-19951-0-59931700-1518652027_thumb.jpeg

• Like 2

Its going to be a while until I make a start on my new layout, so I thought I needed a boost to remind myself what I am aiming for. So out came just a few of the bits and pieces I have built over the last couple of years. Although, a fair bit has been sold on as my plans have evolved.

post-19951-0-67106900-1518701851_thumb.jpg

post-19951-0-07099200-1518701900_thumb.jpg

post-19951-0-79305900-1518701951_thumb.jpg

post-19951-0-91425500-1518702049_thumb.jpg

post-19951-0-41192900-1518702088_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

I wasn’t entirely happy with the 0.004 brass sheet, so considered some 0.002 sheet for the outer cover, but felt it would still be too thick, and easy to crease. So for the next three, I have decided to score the sheets on. The final Ex-GWR tanker will be built with full strapping on show. I like to try different ideas and experiment a little, and it often results in a step forward and a couple back. So this is the barrel for the final LMS wagon, looking a tad sorry for itself :-) Hopefully once re-sprayed and the sheeting joints highlighted it should look fine.

post-19951-0-31139100-1518821522_thumb.jpeg

post-19951-0-34636300-1518821562_thumb.jpeg

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Not much progress to report due to a chilly workshop. However, to prove Im still chipping away, here’s the last of the LMS tankers coming to completion. Just the brake leaver brackets, buffers, vac and steam hoses and ladders to fit.

I fancy a break from plastic, so bought an etched brass Stove R with lost wax castings to tack on to my milk train:-)

I’m also being tempted by Phil, of Intentio with a rather nice GWR signal box....it’s hard to stay focused with so many distractions:-)

post-19951-0-17243800-1520368123_thumb.jpeg

• Like 2

I took my Hymek for a run on a test track in Farnham last year and it really looked the biz :-) I would like to build another, especially now I have the experience of the first build. I do hope there is some form of re-birth of their kits. The ABC motor bogie is excellent, and performance is silky smooth. I guess Brian will be losing a bit of business too :-( I used Legomanbiffo’s sound package and a huge round speaker from Cliff Williams.

Edited by Mr Grumpy
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I’m also being tempted by Phil, of Intentio with a rather nice GWR signal box....

Which size box are you thinking? I really liked Steve Fay’s builds but needed a smaller more typical branch type and had been hoping for some time Phil would do a smaller 6 window type. I suddenly noticed the other day he has one in the range now, so I jumped in for one yesterday!

I imagine mine would be the same box. I wanted a box that closely resembles the one that was at Wargrave on the Henley on Thames branch. I need to dig out my layout plan, to ensure it will definitely fit. I had resigned myself to thinking about installing a platform mounted box, but if I can squeeze this one in, I will be really pleased :-)