Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

tta fuel tank on other block working - Now with related fueling point question!

Satan's Goldfish

• RMweb Gold

TTA's were regularly conveyed on the Didcot to Mossend wagonload service, which comprises mainly automotive traffic and a few MOD bits and pieces. I believe they were running from Fawley to Peak Forest. I'm not sure how they did the final part of the journey.

Does anyone know if this flow still runs? I suspect not.

No - at RfD's request I took it off in the early 1990s (Speedlink network closure).  MODlink workings frm Didcot carried on but I don't think any of those carried any oil flows.  A lot of the smaller oil flows went at the time of the Speedlink network closure as they became totally uneconomic without that network to shift them.

I think the traffic returned under EWS or DBS. TTAs used to be regularly seen in Didcot Yard and worked north on 6X65 Didcot - Mossend, as far as Warrington where the train was remarshalled, including a swap to electric traction. From Warrington the tanks were tripped to Peak Forest. I do believe that this was part of the trip that took wagons needing attention to Marcroft/Axiom at Stoke.

A year or so back the Esso flows out of Fawley stopped and the DBS owned ex Esso TTAs have been stored ever since as far as I'm aware.

Traffic on 6X65 is mainly fed from 6X44 Dagenham - Didcot (Ford vehicles) and 6V38 Eastleigh - Didcot (MoD from Marchwood, cars from Southampton, oil from Fawley, gravel from Southampton)

Jo

I think the traffic returned under EWS or DBS. TTAs used to be regularly seen in Didcot Yard and worked north on 6X65 Didcot - Mossend, as far as Warrington where the train was remarshalled, including a swap to electric traction. From Warrington the tanks were tripped to Peak Forest. I do believe that this was part of the trip that took wagons needing attention to Marcroft/Axiom at Stoke.

A year or so back the Esso flows out of Fawley stopped and the DBS owned ex Esso TTAs have been stored ever since as far as I'm aware.

Traffic on 6X65 is mainly fed from 6X44 Dagenham - Didcot (Ford vehicles) and 6V38 Eastleigh - Didcot (MoD from Marchwood, cars from Southampton, oil from Fawley, gravel from Southampton)

Jo

The trip was the one used to deal with 'cripples' from Peak Forest, but also with the lime traffic from Hindlow to Mossend. It may also have conveyed the Peak Forest- Bletchley RMC mortar wagons at one point.

Back in 1985, the Dover-Willesden-Mossend at Rochester - a few imported cars and 2 TTAs, one grey and one black. Loco fuel? Ferry fuel?

That train more usually had a right old mix of ferry wagons, as well as assorted air-braked UK wagons.

post-6971-0-26251300-1451301108.jpg

• Like 5

Back in 1985, the Dover-Willesden-Mossend at Rochester - a few imported cars and 2 TTAs, one grey and one black. Loco fuel? Ferry fuel?

That train more usually had a right old mix of ferry wagons, as well as assorted air-braked UK wagons.

attachicon.gif85-8-31.jpg

The black tank might have been carrying bunker fuel for the ferries; the grey one was probably gas-oil. I'm not sure if the fuelling point at Dover Town was built by then (Ernie'll know), so the wagon may have come down from Chart Leacon where Dover locos were refuelled.

The black tank might have been carrying bunker fuel for the ferries; the grey one was probably gas-oil. I'm not sure if the fuelling point at Dover Town was built by then (Ernie'll know), so the wagon may have come down from Chart Leacon where Dover locos were refuelled.

Will I???  Gets a bit blurred now....  I'll have to check.  They did unload Gas Oil in Bulwark sidings and there was a discharge point on the Western Docks where the track from platforms 4 and 5 went over the crossing.  Supplied the tanks for the heating boilers......   never seen a picture of that one....

Related question! Any refueling points out there that happen to have ohle above them? Found images of refueling point lines beside ohle lines, but not with the 2 combined. Probably a fairly pointless combination in the grand scheme of things but does have its plus points for the space starved modeller!

cheers.

I can't answer for the 85' to '99 period you're aiming for (I wasn't born until 1990, so still hadn't hit double figures when '99 rolled around!) but I do have a few shots of workings out of Fawley in recent years.

While not necessarily part of block trains, the workings out of Fawley in recent years went to Eastleigh where they went onto the enterprise working to Didcot, and formaly Wembley.

What used to happen until around 2008(?) was that a block oil/bitumen train went to Tavistock running as 6V62. After bitumen stopped being carried, the working would go into Eastleigh Yard where a selection of TTA's would be dropped off and the train would reverse and carry on to Tavistock. It still ran as 6V62.

When the Tavistock working ceased in October 2013, the working then became Tuesdays only as 6B62 and ran as far Eastleigh Yard. On Thursdays, another working running as 6B94 ran, again as far as Eastleigh Yard. These workings stopped in March 2015, leaving the working to/from Holybourne as the only oil train working to/from Fawley.

At Eastleigh, the tanks would be formed onto the enterprise working to Didcot, normally running as 6V38 or sometimes 6X38, depending on what was also conveyed. This working had feeder trips from Marchwood MOD and Southampton Western Docks. Some TTA's would be tripped across to Eastleigh Depot. What I'm not so clear on is where the tanks went after arrival at Didcot. I think an amount continued on the Didcot to Bescot enterprise (6X65) for presumably Bescot Depot and maybe even some for Warrington. There is/was a Didcot to Wembley enterprise, so some may have gone on that for Ipswich.

Some of the Eastleigh to Didcot workings could be short, I've seen it with just a handful of wagons. Normally though, the train could be quite long with it conveying containers and cars from Southampton and normally containers from Marchwood, although VGA's and very occasionally Warflats/Warwells would be seen. The inbound working is 6O15 Mossend to Eastleigh, which would contain empty TTA's returning to Fawley on a trip working from Eastleigh.

The working to Didcot started around 2010(?), as it was origionally 6M44 to Wembley. Feel free to correct me, as I'm not 100% on all of it.

Attached below are a few pictures of TTA's on some of these workings. There's a few links to some YouTube videos that may be of interest as well.

post-7258-0-45858900-1451512573_thumb.jpg

Seen at Shawford, 66158 works 6M44 Eastleigh Yard to Wembley. 12.02.2009

post-7258-0-62685000-1451512591_thumb.jpg

post-7258-0-93836800-1451512598_thumb.jpg

Showing a fairly typical working, 66160 heads through Shawford with 6X38 Eastleigh Yard to Didcot. 23.04.2013

post-7258-0-08094200-1451512612_thumb.jpg

Heading through St. Cross, 66148 works 6V38 Eastleigh Yard to Didcot. 18.06.2013

post-7258-0-22993700-1451512620_thumb.jpg

Passing through Worting Junction, 66108 works 6O15 Mossend Yard to Eastleigh Yard. 24.02.2015

Hopefully I've not gone off on too much of a tangent and this is useful!

Andy.

Edited by SWT442
  • Like 5

Would a mixed train formation suit the O.P.?

I've seen pictures of fuel tanks conveyed on the Oban line, the fuel was for the fishing boats at Oban.

Possibly but I has seen two oil terminal depot at Oban by oil depot near side quayside and oil depot site on former locomotive shed

History Edit

Oban station in 1948

Oban station opened on 1 July 1880. A ticket platform (long since disused but still in situ) was located on the west side of the single line, about half a mile to the south. Just south of there, a short branch line diverged to the east, towards a goods yard and engine shed.

Two additional platforms were constructed on the west side of the station in 1904, following the opening of the branch from Connel Ferry to Ballachulish.

Following closure of the goods yard and engine shed, a rail-connected oil storage depot occupied part of the site for a number of years, although this has itself since closed.

Since 1982, only the 1904-built platforms remain in use (still numbered as Platforms 3 and 4). The present small station building was officially opened on 3 January 1986, the occasion being marked by the naming of two Class 37 locomotives. Despite it being a listed building, the original station building was subsequently demolished.

Thank you, hope it's of some use!

I use the trains to/from Eastleigh and their associated trip workings to influence my own modelling interests.

When the Eastleigh to Wembley ran, it could sometimes throw up a Class 37. Around the early 2000's, Class 58's could also be booked to work it.

I normally search Flickr using the headcode and a year to help find pictures that may be of interest to my needs.

Andy.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Bit of an expansion on Andy's post hopefully.

After the Bitumen stopped running on 6V62 from memory the train became a longer block working of TGO tanks, running via Bristol St Philips Marsh (that had been a separate block train from memory) The Exeter call was dropped (again from memory) with road transport taking over that one just before Wessex Trains passed to First Great Western which would have been about 2006?

From Tavy Jcn, the Laira traffic was a trip, Tavy Jcn to St Blazey traffic was tacked onto wagonload (which would otherwise be a block train of clay!) trains, and St Blazey to Penzance was a block trip.

Destinations served via the Didcot wagonload hub included Cardiff Canton (wagonload Didcot to ADJ then tripped) and Ipswich (wagonload to Wembley, then from recollection at various points in time that's run as ( a ) wagonload on a train that did a kind of circular Wembley-Ely-Ipswich-Harwich-Wembley, ( b ) tagged onto that intermodal, or ( c ) as a short block train to Ipswich yard - finally Freightliner* moved them in ones and twos between Ipswich Yard and the fuelling point as needed).

In addition, EWS had been getting it's TGO from one of the Humberside terminals in an interesting mix of TTA/TUA (see Ernie's Scunny pics up-thread) also delivered by the wagonload network (including to Eastleigh!) - later on Fawley became the supply for much if not all EWS/DBS sites, EWS/DBS took over the Esso tank fleet and they really spread their wings for a couple of years until the contract changed again.

(*I do also have shots on my site of the time when Freightliner sent a 70 light all the way from Ipswich to Wembley to pick the tanks up after EWS had cancelled the train though, that's an unusual block train!)

• Like 2

Related question! Any refueling points out there that happen to have ohle above them? Found images of refueling point lines beside ohle lines, but not with the 2 combined. Probably a fairly pointless combination in the grand scheme of things but does have its plus points for the space starved modeller!

cheers.

what about the one at Willesden? Was the fuelling point there not located at one end of the electric depot for the local shunters and class 25s in earlier years. with the depot being electric I'd expect the fuelling point had ohle through it but perhaps it could be isolated when fuelling was taking place

what about the one at Willesden? Was the fuelling point there not located at one end of the electric depot for the local shunters and class 25s in earlier years. with the depot being electric I'd expect the fuelling point had ohle through it but perhaps it could be isolated when fuelling was taking place

Looking at Quail p1, the fuel roads at Willesden were three non-electrified roads at the north end of the depot. The same book's plan of Allerton doesn't indicate which was the fuel road, but there were four or five unwired roads in the middle of the layout.

Looking at Quail p1, the fuel roads at Willesden were three non-electrified roads at the north end of the depot. The same book's plan of Allerton doesn't indicate which was the fuel road, but there were four or five unwired roads in the middle of the layout.

hmmmm there was an article in Traction magazine just the other month about a drivers memories at Willesden and I thought the diagram had the fuelling point on the south (London) end just outside the building. I could be mistaken though, I thought it was an odd place for it

Edited by GordonC

• 1 year later...