Stanier 2 6 4T

Grasshopper John

Could any of the good people of RMW help, I am planning on building the above as a new project next year but am struggling to find any publications for reference.

Any links or titles would help.

PS it will be the two cylinder version from Mr Andrews.

Thanks In advance.

Grasshopper J.

Locomotives Illustrated #47 "The LMS 2-6-4Ts" contains photos of all variants of the Fowler, Stanier and Fairburn designs. (Very little descriptive detail, though.)

They are a class that seem to have been largely ignored in any detail. Unfortunately Wild Swan haven't covered the class in their excellent LMS Loco Profiles series and I believe the planned RCTS book will be some time in the future.

As well as the other suggestions I would recommend An Illustrated History Of LMS Locomotives Volume Five - The Post Grouping Standard Classes by David Jenkinson and Bob Essery (Silver Link Publishing). It's the bible as far as LMS locomotives are concerned. Although they only get a few pages coverage most of which are about livery variations.

There was also a very good article in Railway Modeller May 1966 with drawings and details.

Jason

Just a quick update,

I've managed to purchase Stanier locomotive classes - alec john and locomotive illustrated 47

And I've sent a request to family for Stanier locomotives Brian haresnape and Illustrated history of LMS vol 5 as I shall be another year older very soon.

I bet they all cover the Black 5 which I've just finished as it was my first 7mm build I failed to heed advice and get some reference books.

Lesson Learnt.

Well I asked for a few things for my Birthday and I got what I wanted ( for a change )

post-14207-0-24525700-1451988179.jpg

Well I treated myself to Locomotives Illustrated and Stanier locomotive classes.

Looks like I will be building a few Stanier models in the future, Or this could be the start of something I may need a rather large bookcase :)

Regards

John.

Archived