Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

loksound ver 4

theflyingspanner

The sound on my loksound decoder has stopped working

When I use the loksound programmer it won't let me set CV 8 to 8 or change any of the cvs

The program reads the decoder ok, but it won't reset 

i have tried the reset decoder function on the software it goes through the motions ok but it still has the same cv address as it is not resetting

Anyone got any ideas, please 

ESU sound decoders sometimes need a little more 'oomph' to get them to respond. NCE Power Cabs do have this extra power for the programming track that allows sound decoders to be reprogrammed reliably, some other DCC systems don't quite get there. Most of my sound decoders have happily reprogrammed on the NCE Power Pro system or using Decoder Pro (through the Power Pro), but just occasionally I have to zap one on the Power Cab programming track, and that usually works.

Try reprogramming/resetting on the main, then try again a few times on the programming track.

Also, there is a CV that can lock the decoder (I can't remember off-hand which number it is). That may need a value placed in it before anything else can happen.

ESU sound decoders sometimes need a little more 'oomph' to get them to respond. NCE Power Cabs do have this extra power for the programming track that allows sound decoders to be reprogrammed reliably, some other DCC systems don't quite get there. Most of my sound decoders have happily reprogrammed on the NCE Power Pro system or using Decoder Pro (through the Power Pro), but just occasionally I have to zap one on the Power Cab programming track, and that usually works.

Try reprogramming/resetting on the main, then try again a few times on the programming track.

Also, there is a CV that can lock the decoder (I can't remember off-hand which number it is). That may need a value placed in it before anything else can happen.

i would of thought the loksound programmer would of had enough power as it is a loksound chip

Yes, the LokProgrammer should put out sufficient track power to do this as well.

If the LokSound decoder had simply stopped producing sound and accepted programming, I would have suggested checking the speaker and wires, but as it seems to be resisting your attempts to reprogram it, it sounds more like the decoder needs resetting. One thing you have not made clear in your OP is whether the locomotive still moves (i.e. there is still drive from the decoder). That could be useful information in diagnosing the problem too.

Is it possible to remove the decoder and put it in something else? I had one installation that refused to accept programming, but fitting it into another locomotive allowed it to be reprogrammed before removing it again and putting it back into the original locomotive with success.

• RMweb Gold

If it's just the sound then I'd also have suspected the wires but if the decoder doesn't respond to the lokprogrammer that's less likely.

One thing with these is from time to time they do seem to lock up, I now save the file when I set up the loco and if this happens I just re-write that initial file again and it seems to clear it. When it first happened I compared all the cv's and found nothing wrong and couldn't reset it but I could re-write the master file and it then worked!

If it's just the sound then I'd also have suspected the wires but if the decoder doesn't respond to the lokprogrammer that's less likely.

One thing with these is from time to time they do seem to lock up, I now save the file when I set up the loco and if this happens I just re-write that initial file again and it seems to clear it. When it first happened I compared all the cv's and found nothing wrong and couldn't reset it but I could re-write the master file and it then worked!

thanks for the replies every one i had to put in a new sound file all is working now 

thanks again for all the support

Archived