Another Newbie - well sort of!

treeman

As I suggest in the title I am probably best described as a Newbie to the senior gauge. I have been modelling in others scales for more years than I can remember and turned to 0 gauge about three years ago when I started collecting all that was necessary in my new adventure. Unlike many others on this forum I have not started with a small layout, but jumped right in when a good wooden office building 24' x 10', insulated and air condition became available in the garden at my home in Fair Oak near Eastleigh in Hampshire.

The intention is to have a layout that circles the room and so far I have completed the bench work around one side and an adjoining end. On the track has been laid and I am currently installing DCC both for the trains and the turnouts. Digitrax is my choice along with point motors and point levers from DCC Concepts. One end has been given the scenic treatment , although it is hard to say when this finished. The era for the layout is like many 1940 -1960, based on the south coast  majoring on the area of my childhood i.e. Brighton. In this manner I can run GWR, SR and LBSCR.

Although this is my first ever posting, I am an avid reader of Rmweb and follow the works of nearby neighbours in Chandlers Ford and Eastliegh and will get round to post some pictures when I can remove some of the essential rubbish that currently adorns the layout.

A Happy New year to all readers and a note that I shall be at the Bristol show at the end of the month. I will be easily recognised as the grey bearded one on a mobility scooter wearing a T shirt that read " Keep Calm and build Model Railways ( Christmas present).

Thank you for your time reading this.

Treeman.

Welcome Treeman. I live in Chandler's Ford and my layout is called Cwm Bach. Hope to meet you in the not too far distant future, perhaps at the Southampton MRS at Barton Peveril College later this month.

Regards,

Chris

Thanks for the warm welcome guys. Chris I find that the Eastleigh show at Barton Peverill is not too disabled friendly but I might give another go.

Sorting pics and will post soon.

Treeman

• 4 weeks later...

I can only aspire to the modelling expertise of both Chas and Chris who in Rmweb terms are near neighbours at Chandlers Ford and Eastleigh. For those who do not know the areait is  just north of Southampton and south of Winchester.  In a line from the west it is the connecting areas of Chandlers Ford then Eastleigh and onto my home at Fair Oak. Right there any favourable comparison ends for I can never emulate their clean, precise and accurate modelling. In my own way and time I have made 50% of my bench work laid and electrified my track and even ballasted most, but have lost my mo-jo for these tasks. I am running on DCC and the next step is to set up some 20+ points with Cobalt motors and  Cobalt lever switches. For no real reason I am not looking forward to this so spent some time on the rural landscape at one end of the layout.

I hope to be able upload some piccies later today and open myself up to criticism which I hope will be constructive. It should be remembered that I am singly working on a fairly large layout at 24ft by 10ft. and that takes a great deal of time. Kind regards to all on this excellent forum which I find most helpful  even if it is demoralising.

Pleased to meet Peter all too briefly did'nt have time to discuss layouts let alone ourselves. Maybe next time Pewter.

Great show plenty of visitors to see a large and diverse number of traders and layouts. Seemed to be brisk trading at most stands and all demonstration desks were full. All this and still there was plenty of room in the wide aisles for movement. Just love the fact that the good cafe i

and large seating area is part of the exbibition layout as it opens out onto the main floor.  Well done to the Bristol 0 gauge group on a tremendous show.   

Pleased to meet Peter all too briefly did'nt have time to discuss layouts let alone ourselves.. ........................................... Well done to the Bristol 0 gauge group on a tremendous show.   

I'll second that, a great show, and good to put a face to a name, unfortunately I wasn't at my best, - still getting over this man-flu thing, and left at about half one, so apologies for not being a bit more sociable, hopefully catch up with you at one of the other events this year.

Peter.

Archived