A new one on me ........

cctransuk

This is an Acro / Nucro product of the 1950s.  It is made up of white metal castings with, I think, a length of wood dowel for the tank. It would have been made with sprung Nucro bogies and was quite realistic for its day.  The quality of the white metal was such that it was very easily broken.

Frank 

• RMweb Premium

This is an Acro / Nucro product of the 1950s.  It is made up of white metal castings with, I think, a length of wood dowel for the tank. It would have been made with sprung Nucro bogies and was quite realistic for its day.  The quality of the white metal was such that it was very easily broken.

Frank 

Frank,

Thanks for that - a little more knowledge for the mental archive !

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Frank 

Here's an original advert from MRN 1954.

post-807-0-08033100-1452188556_thumb.jpg

Inflation has obviously occurred in the intervening years!

I spotted that item and was considering a bid, but thought better of it, seeing the bogies are missing.* The correct type are quite hard to source these days. I do have a set of Nucro plate bogies (currently under a MACAW). These are white metal, sprung with an inside bearing unit.

As a price reference, it was slightly more than a Dublo Stanier coach (which cost 14/11d IIRC), but considerably less than a Hamblings or Exley coach. A Peco Wonderful wagon kit was 7/6d.

* and SWMBO would not have been amused seeing what I've spent on trains of late......

Archived