Bachmann and the Discounters in 2016

4railsman

• RMweb Premium

If the Bargains thread is not showing the items that the OP would like to find in the Bachmann area, i suggest that this is either because the Op is not sharing his knowledge or that the bargains he would seek are just not there.

As for some sort of site/tread that shows who has 2p cheaper prices on a class xyz, when (as a French resident) I then have to calculate if the different P&P costs might negate these massive savings, and whether I could improve that situation by combining purchases from other suppliers in a multi- item order.  Frankly I would rather spend the couple of weeks in modelling.

I fear you have misunderstood the bargain hunters thread - it's contemporary and is regularly updated, everything on one shelf. If I spotted a Bachmann bargain it would go in that thread, not here.

Neil

That may be true IF you had found the thread, but bargain hunters thread is not listed on the main forum index page.

For a new subscriber to RMWeb it was not obvious that there was such a thread already running for so long.

Why is it listed under Modelling Questions, Help and Tips which is hardly the place to find out about information on specific manufacturers like Bachmann who already have a dedicated place on the RMWeb Forum and which is shown on the main forum index page?

I don't understand why so many of you can't see the benefit of having one thread where latest info on a specific manufacturer is disseminated. I for one don't want to wade through loads of unrelated posts within a general thread JUST in the hope that there may be something listed that relates to Bachmann bargains,

As I hadn't come across Bure Valley Models before, I figured that other forum members may also be unaware of that source and not finding any suitable existing threads, decided to start my own, Bure Valley Models is part of the Bure Valley Railway, a nine mile long 15” gauge steam railway operating from the ancient market town of Aylsham to Wroxham, capital of the Norfolk Broads.

According to their website they have been selling model railways now for 12 years. The business started because Andrew, their General Manager and a modeller himself, wanted to be able to buy model railways at discount prices locally in Norfolk. Many of their visitors were not from Norfolk and asked if they had an on line shop and this gave rise to the model shop and website. This venture also created a business stream when the railway itself was traditionally quiet. They also claim they are now one of the major stockist of model railways in East Anglia.

That may be true IF you had found the thread, but bargain hunters thread is not listed on the main forum index page.

It is if you follow the topic. Just look out for the blue 'new posts' blob.

As has been said it's a one stop bargain bin. It's not like there's an overwhelming number of posts to sort through at the moment.

• RMweb Premium

For a new subscriber to RMWeb it was not obvious that there was such a thread already running for so long.

Why is it listed under Modelling Questions, Help and Tips which is hardly the place to find out about information on specific manufacturers like Bachmann who already have a dedicated place on the RMWeb Forum and which is shown on the main forum index page?

I don't understand why so many of you can't see the benefit of having one thread where latest info on a specific manufacturer is disseminated. I for one don't want to wade through loads of unrelated posts within a general thread JUST in the hope that there may be something listed that relates to Bachmann bargains,

As I hadn't come across Bure Valley Models before, I figured that other forum members may also be unaware of that source and not finding any suitable existing threads, decided to start my own, Bure Valley Models is part of the Bure Valley Railway, a nine mile long 15” gauge steam railway operating from the ancient market town of Aylsham to Wroxham, capital of the Norfolk Broads.

According to their website they have been selling model railways now for 12 years. The business started because Andrew, their General Manager and a modeller himself, wanted to be able to buy model railways at discount prices locally in Norfolk. Many of their visitors were not from Norfolk and asked if they had an on line shop and this gave rise to the model shop and website. This venture also created a business stream when the railway itself was traditionally quiet. They also claim they are now one of the major stockist of model railways in East Anglia.

Answers to the red bits...

Nobody new to RMweb is going to find everything in an instant. Heck - I've been on here for years and still finding new stuff that has also been here for awhile.

You don't need to wade through lots of posts - you only need to see the last few as often th bargains listed aren't there for very long anyway.

If you want to trumpet a particular model shop, then there is a specific thread that would be just the place.

Cheer,

Mick

p.s.Welcome the the big, bad, wild, VERY LARGE world of RMweb BTW.

I don't understand why so many of you can't see the benefit of having one thread where latest info on a specific manufacturer is disseminated. 

If there was a wider need within the membership  I'm sure someone would have done it in one over 100,000 topics in the life of the site. Hell, some topics have been done hundreds of times. :)

It doesn't matter how much you tell 'us' what we should be thinking through the use of bold. I note you have your own website, maybe you could start listing everything and monitoring every retailer for everyone else's benefit on there?

• RMweb Gold

I can't see any need to over complicate with any sort of new thread.  If you want to buy something and you're not likely to want to support your local model shop (assuming you have one) then the internet seems to be your universal price guide with many retailers advertising on line.  And of course the headline price isn't everything as terms for P&P vary and can affect what you finish up paying - sometimes what appears to be the cheapest turns out not to be the best bargain.

Of course it all depends how much you want to save and how hard you are prepared to look for a saving of a couple of £s compared with, say, better service and rapid delivery from another retailer.  And as some prices seem to change with the wind what seems like today's 'best price' may well not be tomorrow's so anything posted on a price comparison site will be history before it's a day old.  Far simpler to look around for yourself rather than relying on someone else to do it for you, Google can be your friend (sometimes).

And of course quite often when a thread is dealing with a newly released model some people post how much they happened to pay for their purchase - far more direct to the subject matter than traipsing round the 'net perhaps

Archived