Bachmann MK1 RMB question.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Phil

As you might have guessed there is a post on my Blog.

I was so pleased with the result I made a chocolate and cream version on B1 bogies.

Thanks for asking

Ray

Many thanks Ray

As I don't use blogs myself I didn't think of looking there!

Have had a bash at one end of a Replica FO this afternoon - similar but slightly different methodology!

Will give it a trial run this evening on the test track

Cheers

Phil

Thanks Phil

Good luck

My latest Post features an RMB and RU  - not blue but still of relevance to this thread.

...Have had a bash at one end of a Replica FO this afternoon - similar but slightly different methodology!

I have to say I am still not sure what are the critical dimensions.  I have just acquired some unused but old Bachmann Mk1s one of which kept locking up when fitted with Hornby R8220 couplers.  I have cut more than a little plastic from the shaped opening in the chassis before it would work properly.  I am coming to the conclusion that there is a wide tollerance on the dimesions of this opening..

Regards

Ray

• RMweb Gold

Also check whether they are fouling on the buffer beam Ray

Have just taken a file to a few of mine to give a tapered edge over which they will hopefully slide more easily

I didn't bother with the pin/chassis floor opening on my attempt - just cut the pin off the mechanism, off to see now how it takes corners!

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Just tested on the test oval - all fine! Yippee - but a run at the front of an 8 coach rake on Abbotswood next time we are set up will be the acid test...

Heres the pictures

Firstly with bogie in place - original Replica, coupling off, end plate off and bogie baseplate profiled to deliver deflection to coupling on corners

post-7138-0-89358800-1453062455_thumb.jpg

With bogie off - brass hook to take free end of spring, plasticard shims with blocks positioned to stop further travel of device when coupling is centred and cross bar behind buffer beam to keep pocket at correct level.

post-7138-0-78958700-1453062476_thumb.jpg

Might not look that neat but will be out of sight once painted and bogie in place

Makes these Replica/Bachmann coaches a viable variant in close coupled rakes - as with Ray we use the Hornby close couplers. Means we can have a sensible number of Daigram 73 FOs in the St Phillips Marsh excursion rake and confine a single Dia 71 as forthcoming from Bachmann to an appropriate Midland rake.

Now...wheres a Replica/Mainline Blue Grey RB - and some flushglaze?

Phil

Hi Phil

Also check whether they are fouling on the buffer beam Ray

Good point - you cannot use R8220 couplers with Bachmann Mk1s striaght out of the box.

Rather than molest the Bachmann coach I shave some of the plastic off the couplers.

8556132899_f9a7767bca_c.jpg

Hornby R8220 - as bought and as modified for use with Bachmann Mk1s

Hi Phil

Great - you make it sound so simple.

..... coupling is centred and cross bar behind buffer beam to keep pocket at correct level...

I do feel uneasy about the straight cross bar.  I cannot get my mind around the issue but I would have thought that Hornby/Bachmann/Keen to mention a few other systems, all use a shaped cross bar to pull the couplings inboard on the straight and to extend them on tight bends.  Perhaps the answer lies in the radius of the track, and a shaped 'cross bar', for the want of a better description, is only needed with train set type curves.

Regards

Ray

When I decided my Replica Railways (ex-Mainline) green RB needed a repaint, quite a few years ago, I also filed down the moulded rims around the windows as I always thought they were a little overdone. I also painted the inside rims of the window openings with black before reassembling the coach. I used the original glazing. My paint job is not the world's best, but here it is for posterity.

BRS%20Green%20RB%20-%201_zpsgc536lh3.jpg

BRS%20Green%20RB%20-%202_zpst57snmjo.jpg

I must say that Peter's RMB looks really good, and that Phil's coupling conversions look very interesting too.

Your bogies are the wrong way round, tie rods go towards the centre

Could do with the air tank behind the distributor. A bit of sprue about 3-4mm diameter 5-6mm long would do

What did you do for the brakes?

V is easy, leave as is IF correct way round for the lot you are modelling.

A is not too bad V hanger a 3mm square plank, and a 3mm diameter & long piece of sprue

X sometimes difficult to tell from V, vacuum cylinders AND air tanks as air cylinder is more hidden. Easy to just add air tanks and leave the rest

Like you I do like the old Mainline RBRs

I really need to find some etched Vs for the brake systems as I have to remove them to get the vacuum cylinders off.

Thanks Martin,

I remember reading the Replica bogies needed changing round and totally forgot, looks like I will need to change that hopefully cutting more of the bogie wont weaken them too much.

Cheers Peter. 

• RMweb Premium

The Replica depend on how you assemble them, but with B4s easy really

Bachmann are correct way round

Hornby are correct way round

Airfix are correct way round

Lima are back to front

Replica are how you assemble them

Only hideous bogie is the later Hornby on the Mark 2s with chrome windows

• RMweb Premium

All you really need is the air brake distributor. Have a look at this photo: http://80srail.zenfolio.com/p189779447/h10498613#hddc88a2

The distributor is the cylinder just to the left of the dynamo (between that and the battery box). On Kirkhill we have used spare ones from the Bachmann Mk1 Pullmans but you can buy them from Wizard Models as they are made by 51L (pack ABWC001). You get the reservoir tank and the distributor in the pack and I think the tank sits just behind the distributor but it is difficult to see. For a photo of the pack contents search for "wagon components in whitemetal" and it is the third item down.

Got mine, will place on two of my Mark 1s this weekend.

Archived