DCC Controller List basic review by owners.

On 10/06/2023 at 01:10, jjb1970 said:

I also recognize the cost advantages of a fully software based interface using a standard device

Well, not necessarily ;-)

For points & signals I use a large 22" touch screen attached to a Raspberry Pi running JMRI. That ain't cheap, but I find it way easier than alternatives that I've tried. Point a finger onto a large diagram to change a turnout or a signal. The small size of a mobile or indeed of any of the specialized handsets doesn't cut it for me for these functions.

Yours, Mike.

• Informative/Useful 1

On 10/06/2023 at 01:10, jjb1970 said:

I much prefer a physical control, either a rotary dial (favourite) or slider (still good) for speed control. ......

The optimum is probably a hybrid approach using a PC work station or device touch screen interface for most functions along with physical controls for key functions. That's pretty much the approach in industrial control system UI design such as for power plants, ships, petro-chem etc.

Available very cheaply if using a system which has "WiThrottle" support (JMRI, several other systems which support phones).  Requires an Android phone with Engine Driver App, a USB-OTG cable (about £10-£15), and a USB volume control knob/wheel (around £20-£30).   The knob/wheel usually comes with a few buttons which can be configured for "change direction" and/or key functions,  the knob itself is speed.  And the phone gives the touch screen labels.  

Or at greater expense in an ESU ECoS system.  

- Nigel