bigP's Workbench of Little Things: Something actually got finished!

bigP

• RMweb Premium

Hi, 

Like you, I've often thought about a workbench thread but then get lazy and can't be bothered taking the pictures and editing them!  Plus, I'm never sure what I'm doing is that interesting - 2 Hornby 153s into a 155?  Already been done elsewhere on here, for example.  Weathering?  Lots of examples.  An NR 150?  Likewise.  

But anyway, although I'm more an OO man, your projects here look quite interesting, I look forward to seeing the progress, especially on the 117 build.  It looks quite simple, almost the reverse of what people have done in OO for many years with 117s.

JDW

• RMweb Gold

Paul

Sorry that you had an expensive mistake with the stripper. I certainly will remember not to use that make on Farish stuff.

Look forward to seeing these coaches and DMU's take shape. If you get them done in time you can test them on Banbury when you are next helping..

• RMweb Gold

Hi 

The 117 is like mine work in progess - I have made in part the DMS, DMBS, TC and a DTS  now have a pile of cabs left over - might end up with a 119 crosscountry set.  Also in several bits is a 108 heading towards a 114 parcels unit.  Could make a fantasy 121 based parcel unit aka the GWR 34 or gloucester based on a a BG. 

These should of course see light of day as the major producers vie to make them such is my luck

great work so far and look forward to  progress. 

Robert 

Hi 

Could make a fantasy 121 based parcel unit aka the GWR 34 or gloucester based on a a BG. 

These should of course see light of day as the major producers vie to make them such is my luck

great work so far and look forward to  progress. 

Robert 

Hi Robert

Not sure wether you're aware but There was a parcels 122 unit

Ian

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi ,

Sounds like dedication to me, of course at least one coach no lighting due flat batteries would be fun.  I think is it Kato who do a connecting coupler and Ben says Pendo is due to have a working electrickery inter car coupler ...   Pickup could be fun you could make use of Dapol pinpoints on a mk3 bogie and file off details and fix  suitable B4 frames as a thought on several coaches fitted with a chip paired up to a second coach with just lights. Guess consisting or assigning common addresses would allow control of a rake but leave some flexability to actually  rail the rake, unlike Blue Pullman or Brighton belle ....

Robert       

• RMweb Gold

Hi 

Sorry got wrong end of it , I read as if lighting LHCS. 

Yes I quite enjoy looking at pics of mixed up stock - once the railway started getting shot of pressed steel  TCLs then finding trailers or motors with toilets became an art form, I guess an asbestos mitigation thing but did hear of a 117 trailer breaking its back in BHM due overloading. The practice of putting a 121 vice a 117 power car also grew and worth modelling and of course repainting Dapol will allow a good match with a Bachmann 101 TCL.  

I had fancied a 127 parcels set having got surplus cab ends!      

have fun

Robert 

• RMweb Gold

Hi ,

L840 also has a soft spot for me, It was under my fleet control at TS in the 90s and was a road learner and traffic unit, it had been in Norwich covering for a dead 153s! It spent a Sunday night at Nottingham and as it passenger miles left on it I ran the Sinfin service with it - it did not have a TCA which would have seen in banned from branch as were sprinters. Service normally a taxi - empty both ways  neither advertised or of much use as service intended for Rolls Royce workers.  Felt quite proud then got a rollocking as that happened to be the day that the passenger user council were meeting to discuss Closure at Derby and noted it had run.... snigger! :)     

By then it was faded and fading away...

Viz 104 I was going to mate a BHE end to a 108 as a near enough for a Mexican bean set, looking at Brian Goldings book, but that is years away.. unless you were thinking of a 3D print item?! for the cab front..

I was contemplating a north wales "Daisy" 101 adding yellow panel and headlamp to a 101, but no further than buying unit. Also a chariot I have used on North Wales coast.    

Good to sort out lighting on here even if not quite in real world!

Robert  

• RMweb Premium

I was thinking the other day that we should do a layout together - a big roundy roundy based on the main lines somewhere between Reading & Didcot, just four simple loops, a lot of countryside and a little commuter station on the Reliefs.  Between us we'd be able to run it in either FGW or NSE mode!  

Uh oh, there I go with another idea!

Now that is a layout I'd like to see, there are some great spots. Either of the bridges over the Thames at Goring or at Cholsey, the view from the petrol station forecourt was/is just the right height to watch (down) trains travel over the bridge before dissaperaring under the road, always made filling up there that bit more enjoyable. Or if you did Cholsey manor farm bridge you could include the heritage line running round the corner, and you could use the farish cooling towers for didcot power station in the distance... Now I want to make one!

On another note I believe 32 wagons was the maximum for the didcot coal trains from the Midlands.

Archived