Hi all,

Sorry for the lack of updates recently, a mix of work and late nights of locomotive maintenance have taken up most of my time.

There's been alot of activity at the Preservation Society in the past few weeks, unfortunately our Class 07; 07012 and our Class 02 D2853 have both departed for new lives with new owners elsewhere, which leaves us with only one vacuum braked loco, which is the Class 20; D8110 (20110), which hasn't run for a while due to disputes between it's owner; Harry Needle Railroad Company and TATA Steel who hold the lease on the loco and the two other class 20's on the site. these have now been resolved and the locos are now for sale including 3 others from Long Marston although we have use of the loco until then. It was started for the First time this year today and after warming up it ran rather well moving under it's power from storage in the siding to pride of place outside the shed after a few test runs up and down the yard to make sure everything ran well.

The steelworks is also having some changes, the ageing fleet of YEC Janus locos, of which many have been on the site since they were built, are to be replaced by 10 Ex Norwegian DI8 locomotives from Teeside which will take over the majority of duties around the site. Two have been at the works for a number of months on testing and gauging trials and have been successful. We had one of them on our last brake van tour. It dwarfed the Shark brake van with the top of the bonnet being level with the roof of the van which gave an interesting view from the cab. It was also an interesting Loco to shunt on with a very long walk to the end of the loco to change points.

Also we are very happy to say that TATA Steel's Hunslet No.58 will be staying with us indefinitely with the arrival of the DI8's, Leaving it as a standby loco in case of a failure. It has now been elected as the Yard Shunter until Arnie is up and running again and will be seen often running on brake van tours.

Arnie has been a hive of activity with the Traction Motor and Gearbox now in undercoat and the frames half painted in undercoat, it is hoped to have the loco up and running as soon as possible.

The Next tour is on the 27th of this month and will be hauled by D8110.

Many thanks 

Jordan

Hi all,

Sorry for the lack of updates recently, a mix of work and late nights of locomotive maintenance have taken up most of my time.

There's been alot of activity at the Preservation Society in the past few weeks, unfortunately our Class 07; 07012 and our Class 02 D2853 have both departed for new lives with new owners elsewhere, which leaves us with only one vacuum braked loco, which is the Class 20; D8110 (20110), which hasn't run for a while due to disputes between it's owner; Harry Needle Railroad Company and TATA Steel who hold the lease on the loco and the two other class 20's on the site. these have now been resolved and the locos are now for sale including 3 others from Long Marston although we have use of the loco until then. It was started for the First time this year today and after warming up it ran rather well moving under it's power from storage in the siding to pride of place outside the shed after a few test runs up and down the yard to make sure everything ran well.

The steelworks is also having some changes, the ageing fleet of YEC Janus locos, of which many have been on the site since they were built, are to be replaced by 10 Ex Norwegian DI8 locomotives from Teeside which will take over the majority of duties around the site. Two have been at the works for a number of months on testing and gauging trials and have been successful. We had one of them on our last brake van tour. It dwarfed the Shark brake van with the top of the bonnet being level with the roof of the van which gave an interesting view from the cab. It was also an interesting Loco to shunt on with a very long walk to the end of the loco to change points.

Also we are very happy to say that TATA Steel's Hunslet No.58 will be staying with us indefinitely with the arrival of the DI8's, Leaving it as a standby loco in case of a failure. It has now been elected as the Yard Shunter until Arnie is up and running again and will be seen often running on brake van tours.

Arnie has been a hive of activity with the Traction Motor and Gearbox now in undercoat and the frames half painted in undercoat, it is hoped to have the loco up and running as soon as possible.

The Next tour is on the 27th of this month and will be hauled by D8110.

Many thanks 

Jordan

Does this mean that GBRf are taking over operation of the railways on site, as they did on Teesside?

Does this mean that GBRf are taking over operation of the railways on site, as they did on Teesside?

Hi Brian,

The operation of the site railways will still be run as they always were. GBRF are only providing the Locomotives, the maintenance and the training to the TATA drivers.

Hope this helps

Jordan

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Much work has been completed this week with one side our YEC half Janus Arnie's frames getting a coat of black paint and much of the underside being cleaned.

The privately owned YEC Half Janus "Unittie" has also had a lot of work done to it with the loco being more or less stripped down and the cab being rubbed down to bare metal and being painted in undercoat. it also had many of the dents filled in with filler which vastly improves the look of the loco.

Our next tour is tomorrow, leaving at 11:00 am, the tour will most likely be hauled by either Hunslet No.58 or Janus No.1. If any members are planning to come, come and say hi as I will be shunting the tour the whole way around the steelworks.

I hope to see many of you there.

Many thanks

Jordan

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

Here we have the list of dates for the summer tours 2016:

post-19023-0-50065300-1459002859_thumb.jpg

Standard tours use our resident 2/3rds of a Class 108 DMU as hauled stock which give us Disabled access using the guards compartment and also a live commentary of what you can see around the train. 

Brake van tours use our 2 BR 20T standard brake vans and our Shark ballast plough van which give a much closer tour as they can access parts of the site that the DMU cannot due to restricted loading gauges at parts of the steelworks.

Hope to see you soon

Jordan

Hi all,

Exciting news, Cranford, the Avonside 0-6-0ST which has been undergoing restoration into operational condition was in steam for the first time in preservation today, there is still work to be done, but hopefully she will be hauling tours in the near future.

Also, Hunslet Austerity USC No. 22 has returned from the Nene Valley railway to undergo repairs, it is hoped to have her operational as soon as possible.

Jordan

*UPDATE*

Hi all, 

On Monday the 28th of March, Avonside 0-6-0ST Cranford Moved under her own steam for the first time since her withdrawal from industrial service, it may have only been shuffling up and down 100 yds, but she is now near completion our summer tours beginning in May.

In other news, Hunslet number 58 is now back in traffic after some work to the brake gear and Arnie is progressing well with the frames now painted inside and out as well as the engine and generator now painted and detailed ready for refitting to the loco. it is hoped to have it running soon.

Jordan

• RMweb Premium

Hi, myself and four friends are coming over for the trip on Saturday 2nd April (booked by Brigg TIC). A few questions if I may. Will it be brakevans or dmu? Should we bring butties and flasks?

Thanks.

• RMweb Premium

Yes, it was three brake vans. A bit chilly in the unheated 'shark' but we were all prepared and wrapped up well in warm clothes. A four hour trip with a break in the middle for loo, brew and butty in a nice warm coach at their depot. Five of us went and we all had a great day. Indeed, one of my friends said it was the best railtour he had ever been on. Thanks to everyone involved in running it.

Highly recommended.

Hi Colin,

I'm glad that you and your friends enjoyed your day in sunny scunny and thank you for your kind comments, we aim to please. I will pass the message of thanks to the train crew. The shark brake van you were in is the most recently restored, only being finished at the start of this year.

Hope to see you again for another tour, every one is different.

Many thanks,

Jordan

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Today, our class 20 D8110 left for it's new life at the East Lancashire Railway where it will be joined by another of Harry Needles 20's.

In other news, Arnie's traction motor and gearbox are back from the steelworks' workshops, so she is now more or less ready to be rebuilt with just a bit more cleaning and painting to be done.

Cranford also steamed again on Saturday running up and down the yard, only some minor tweaks left to complete and she will be ready for her first booked tour on the 7th of May, but passengers might just be lucky enough to have her on a test run before then, we'll have to see.

Jordan

• RMweb Premium

Looks like an excellent reason to ride on 7 May. Big sense of refief about the purchase deal for the steelworks sale today, hope it all works out.

Dava

Hi all,

Today, our class 20 D8110 left for it's new life at the East Lancashire Railway where it will be joined by another of Harry Needles 20's.

In other news, Arnie's traction motor and gearbox are back from the steelworks' workshops, so she is now more or less ready to be rebuilt with just a bit more cleaning and painting to be done.

Cranford also steamed again on Saturday running up and down the yard, only some minor tweaks left to complete and she will be ready for her first booked tour on the 7th of May, but passengers might just be lucky enough to have her on a test run before then, we'll have to see.

Jordan

I think you may need to inform, the south Devon railway about D8110 .

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all, 

Another busy few weeks at Scunthorpe.

Peckett (No.1438 of 1916) has returned from Elsecar to have some work done to have her in steam for her 100th year in operation.

Cranford has been in steam again having completed test runs from the shed to our platform and back, although it is now looking unlikely that she will be ready for the 7th of May, although visitors will be lucky to have 03901 on its first public carriage tour as its now fully operational and driver training has been completed, as with the Sentinel also.

post-19023-0-59542600-1462133264.jpg

Jordan

What is the loco behind 03901? It looks like one on my photo from years back, slightly different to a standard Janus?

Hi Jeff,

The loco is our own No. 1, she is the most original Janus as it still has the original Rolls Royce C6 engines and the original manual control system, on the outside she is as she left the factory, even down to the original colour.

Jordan

She is in the background on a photo I took years ago, on a brakevan tour that started behind a class 20 at Scunthorpe station, wrong line.

I often wondered what she was.

post-13196-0-72790900-1462216057_thumb.jpg

I think that's her, behind the front loco, minus a buffer?

Got this one too:

post-13196-0-05448400-1462216202_thumb.jpg

She is in the background on a photo I took years ago, on a brakevan tour that started behind a class 20 at Scunthorpe station, wrong line.

I often wondered what she was.

attachicon.gifDiesels 70's and 80's444.jpg

I think that's her, behind the front loco, minus a buffer?

Got this one too:

attachicon.gifDiesels 70's and 80's445.jpg

Hi Jeff,

The loco in the background of your photo does not appear to be our No.1 as the cab sides on your loco are sloped whereas No.1's are straight. The other two locos in your photos, no's 44 and 51 are both still hard at work in the steelworks to this day.

Jordan

So what IS the one in the background? Several bits seem wrong for a Janus?

Obviously not still around......

Hi Jeff,

i couldn't tell you the number but it is one of the site's Janus's.

This weekend's tour will now be hauled by Cranford, who has had her nameplates fitted today.

post-19023-0-40501500-1462476677_thumb.jpg

post-19023-0-67224300-1462477084_thumb.jpg

post-19023-0-25304900-1462477099_thumb.jpg

post-19023-0-08004100-1462477106_thumb.jpg

Jordan

It's one of these, a modified Janus

post-6861-0-18408300-1462479858_thumb.jpeg

(Photo by Tramp on the Blueplastictracks website)

Tapering cab sides. This one also has modified side panels and a shallow square extension to the radiator grille. These locos are now fifty odd years old, not surprising there are some modifications and altered appearances.

Archived