Modernisation Plan Diesels

• RMweb Gold

I hope that all the Pacers go straight to the scrappers as to preserving early units thank god they didn't most did not work but people look back with rose tinted specs why would they find the products of Austin Morris so good,I drove some of them and could not wait to get a Ford.

You'll be happy to hear that when the 142s were new they had the same heater sliders as a mk1 Austin metro.

I still have four Austin Morris and co cars and can still wait for a ford!

Well, quite. I wouldn't cross the road to see a preserved EMU. My experience of EMUs has been crowded, expensive, rattly boxes on wheels, painted in a constantly-changing parade of liveries which look like soft drink cans, in the service of a revolving door of franchises whose main customer interface is a near-incomprehensible on-line ticketing system.

Nostalgia, it ain't.

Except that if any of the preserved railways have pretensions to being museums (and some of them say they do, when they pop in applications for Heritage Lottery grants...), it's more a question of what is important rather than only things that make you feel nostalgic.

I'd have thought there was a strong case for preserving something like a Class 313, for example, or some other PEP-derived stock.

Paul

• RMweb Gold

D1000 was apparently due for the NRM but suffered cosmetic accident damage not worth repairing and D1023 eventually took its place..more details are available in various Adrian Curtis books.

D5000 was rejected by the NRM in favour of D5500 as I understand.

We are indeed lucky to have 2 Warships with us today...D821 being a consolation prize after the accidental cutting of D6319, and D832 being revived from a complete wreck after being used as a dead load at Derby for several years.

We are very lucky to have the amount of early diesels we have,such a shame that the Barry pair were lost as there are loco's that were once in a similar state to those running again

You'll be happy to hear that when the 142s were new they had the same heater sliders as a mk1 Austin metro.

I still have four Austin Morris and co cars and can still wait for a ford!

Agreed there. It seems almost everyone Hates Austin/Morris/Leyland/Rover (or whatever the name was that week) until they actually sample them. I've always had them, but had plenty of experience with Ford through work and friends - wouldn't touch one myself with a bargepole! But all down to personal likes and dislikes of course. Amazing though, I have a Rover 75, and the number of people who don't intitially recognise the marque (it is15 years old and obsolete after all), but once they have experienced it, are very complimentary then ask what make it is!

Stewart

• RMweb Gold

I can't wait to get my MG Maestro back on the road, I have a brand new engine to fit and a complete paint but it will become the family normal driver. My Mrs has a newish polo we use at present. I hate it wrecks my back and loads of stupid faults. And it has no go for a 1.4 16v

I drove Montego for a short time when I worked for a garden seeds company it was classed as management vehicle ,every time I hit a pot hole it felt as though the front end was collapsing and wet weather caused problems thankfully my Cortina estate arrived after a couple of weeks.Back to locos the 31 on the Chinnor is being worked on and the amount of rust is frightening and will need agreat deal of work to get it back lets hope that it runs soon.

Archived